Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

rattymouse wrote:
The Fuji 35mm f/1.4 is not interesting? Amazing.

I decided not to say anything specific about the existing lineup. IMO, they're all very nice.

Oops, I guess I changed my mind.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:24 AM
mawz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

rattymouse wrote:
The Fuji 35mm f/1.4 is not interesting? Amazing.

Excellent lens, but I don't see it as more interesting than Sony's 35/1.8 OSS or the PanaLeica 25/1.4, in some ways less so given the lack of stabilization and large size (it's noticeably larger than either of the other two lenses I reference). I'd certainly own one if I bought an X mount body but a high quality normal is not exactly a system seller at this point (it was a lot more of a system-seller when the X Pro 1 originally launched though)

The 14 on the other hand is pretty unique, the only comparable lens for a mirrorless system is the Pentax DA 14 for the K-01 and that's a legacy of Pentax's extensive SLR lens line for K mount APS-C. There's a distinct lack of UWA primes for APS-C in general.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:48 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.2 #3 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

Thanks for the detailed thoughts about the NEX lenses but I'm really only considering the X-E1 or X100s so would welcome thoughts on my OP.

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:38 AM
monkeycolonel

p.2 #4 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

mawz wrote:
[Excellent lens, but I don't see it as more interesting than Sony's 35/1.8 OSS or the PanaLeica 25/1.4, in some ways less so given the lack of stabilization and large size (it's noticeably larger than either of the other two lenses I reference).

It's not larger than the 25/1.4.

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:22 AM
jonrock
• •
p.2 #5 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

I think you should wait at least until a few reviews for the X100s to come out before you make your final decision. It's already shipping in Japan supposed so there might be more info on it coming soon.

The AF isn't a deal breaker on the X-E1 though I wish of course it was faster. When I first purchased an X-E1 from reading all the reviews on it, I thought it would somehow be ultra super slow but it isn't that bad. However, it is a quite a bit slower than my NEX 5N.

At this point, I wouldn't consider swapping an X-E1 for an X100s. However, I would be tempted to buy the successor to the X-E1 if it incorporates the same or more improvements.

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:48 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

I think it's rather simple, really...

If you ONLY want 35mm equiv-- the X100s is a serious no-brainer. Better IQ, better AF, better MF system, smaller, OVF, quieter, faster flash sync.

If you want multiple focal lengths, pick the X-E1. OR wait for the X-E2.

Feb 18, 2013 at 09:08 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

Thanks justruss. I totally hear ya and always thought it was a no brainer. I have no requirement for a multiple lens system as I have the 2 top Nikons and plenty of glass to see me through any situation.

It was always about a smaller but excellent performing camera that I could take anywhere with me. The appeal of the X100 was that it would challenge me to get the shot and I know it would enable me to take more photographs simply from the fact I would have it with me more often than my Nikons.

I found the handling of the X-e1 to be a lot nicer, form wise and from an operational point of view, and the AF surprised me too. It was much more capable with AF than I was expecting because I had read so many reviews about it being poop in this area. Of course it's not on par with my Nikon's but I just don't need it to be. I felt it was easily good enough with AF so that wasn't a concern.

I suppose my comparisons were made testing the X100 against the X-E1 which may have been a dangerous test as the X-E1 handles way better but the X100s will have all the necessary improvements to make it match, if not better, the X-E1. However, it's release price will be around the same as the X-E1 + 35mm f1.4 and will take some time to drop. The X-E1 was only launched towards the end of last year so the X-E2 is some way off and would be much more expensive anyway so waiting for that is out of the question. waiting for the X100s to drop to a suitable price point may mean waiting a few months too.

It's a pickle for sure!

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Justin D
• • •
p.2 #8 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

The XF 18-55mm isn't merely a good lens, it's an excellent lens. Best in class without a doubt, and if bought as a kit, not excessively expensive. Combined with the 35, you have an excellent kit straight off the bat. The 18 is good, too, but I am not one to obsess about corners. But with the zoom, I only keep the 18 for its size, and I'm considering swapping it for an x100...

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:45 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

Justin D wrote:
The XF 18-55mm isn't merely a good lens, it's an excellent lens. Best in class without a doubt, and if bought as a kit, not excessively expensive. Combined with the 35, you have an excellent kit straight off the bat. The 18 is good, too, but I am not one to obsess about corners. But with the zoom, I only keep the 18 for its size, and I'm considering swapping it for an x100...

Given that its class includes such lenses as the Olympus 14-54 II, the Nikkor 16-85, the Sony Zeiss ZA 16-80, the Pentax DA 17-70/4, Best in Class is a significant claim.

Best 18-55? Sure. But it's also the only $600 18-55, it's not in the same class as other 18-55's. Compared to kit lenses of comparable cost like those I've listed? Much different story. The examples I've seen show a lens that's competitive in its class, but not a clear winner in any regards except size.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:08 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

monkeycolonel wrote:
It's not larger than the 25/1.4.

Correct, I misremembered the 25 as being somewhat skinnier than it actually is.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

ct8282 wrote:
Thanks for the detailed thoughts about the NEX lenses but I'm really only considering the X-E1 or X100s so would welcome thoughts on my OP.

It's a hard question to answer, because, rather than comparing one class of cameras from different manufacturers, you're comparing two classes of cameras from one manufacturer. It's kind of like saying you can't decide between a Corrola or Camry, rather than deciding between a Camry and Altima.

So, I guess I'd say that I'd buy the X100. It's small and has the OVF.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:17 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

Wow...I didn't realize an X-E1 + 35mm/1.4 was that cheap. I've got an X100s on order, but man, that kit is tempting, especially because while I think for a fixed lens, the wider lens makes more sense, but I actually prefer a more 'normal' FOV for my shooting. Thing is, I don't really want to invest in a second 'system' per se...but that IS tempting.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:25 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.2 #13 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

Not to hijack the OP's post...

I am interested in the XE-1.
Is the successor to the XE-1 just a rumor? Yes, I'm sure there will be one, eventually...
Or are there some factual information about?
Not that I have the time to read about everything, just asking...

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:32 PM
Justin D
• • •
p.2 #14 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

I should rephrase. It's the best native zoom for mirrorless APS-C by a distance, and quite possibly as good or better than other APS-C kit zooms (though I don't know of any comparisons). It is certainly the best normal zoom I've used, with the exception of the C/Y 35-70mm, and I would be confident that it would be as good or better than competing kit zooms, even in other formats or form factors.

Feb 18, 2013 at 04:11 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

Justin D wrote:
I should rephrase. It's the best native zoom for mirrorless APS-C by a distance, and quite possibly as good or better than other APS-C kit zooms (though I don't know of any comparisons). It is certainly the best normal zoom I've used, with the exception of the C/Y 35-70mm, and I would be confident that it would be as good or better than competing kit zooms, even in other formats or form factors.

I'd expect it's better than the Sony 18-55 or 16-50, it should be for the cost (as it costs double to triple what they do). I'd suspect the Samsung 16-80 OIS may give it a run for its money though. For mirrorless in general I doubt it comes out on top, but there it's competing with the Panasonic 12-35/2.8 OIS.

Performance from the 18-55 seems on par for the cost (IE it's an excellent lens), but not a standout for APS-C zooms at its pricepoint (most of which are available as kitted zooms).

Feb 18, 2013 at 05:04 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

So, um, I hate you guys. All this talk had me go down to my local shop and try out an X-E1. I also handled an X100, and I expect the X100s will handle like the X100, but with all the improvments in AF like the X-E1, which is great...except I had originally preordered the X100s with an eye towards using it as my pocket cam instead of keeping all my higher end m4/3 primes for a 'small' kit. Thing is, the X100 isn't that small...I realized I'd rather just use my GX1 with 14/2.5. So one good thing is that I realized I'd have made a mistake with the X100s, and when I got back, I cancelled my pre-order.

However...I really liked the X-E1. A lot. And darn it, I don't need two systems, except, I already have the money allocated for the X100s, and the files out of the X-E1 are really quite good. Heck, even the LR processing looked good for the most part (though I didn't shoot dense foliage, which is where I understand LR has problems with X-trans.)

And now, while I generally don't have a need for ultra-shallow depth of field (usually, I actually prefer a little more depth of field for things like portraits)...I'm imagining using my Rokinon 85/1.4 on the Fuji and having a 135mm equivalent type lens with super shallow DOF for those few times I want it, and the 35/1.4 for those few times I want shallower normal stuff plus just buying an adapter for the 85, and it's making me lean this way.

DARN YOU ALL!

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:19 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.2 #17 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

Lol. It's quite a quandary isn't it Jman13. I had my heart set on the X100s because of the sheer volume of fantastic reviews about the X100 even though i had never handled one. But, when I handled the X-E1 it just felt better to me. Portability and form was my main driver because I really want to make sure I take this thing everywhere with me. The X100 is certainly small enough to put in my jacket pocket if I wanted but in fairness I would probably carry it in a small case, which is no different to how the X-E1 would be carried.

The 35mm has the advantage of f1.4 and I am defo a bit of a bokeh junkie. I about 80/20 in favour of the X-E1 at this stage but my only hesitation in pressing the 'buy now' button is whether or not the equivalent 53mm fov is a bit too long. It's always possible to take a step closer but not always possible to take a step back!
I walked around with my D800 and the 50mm attached last night to see how that focal length felt and I must say I think I'd like slightly wider but trying to decide if I could live with it as I do prefer the X-E1.

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:47 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

Jordan, if you want to switch systems, wait until the second iteration, there are still some issues to be worked out, and the MFT is so solid right now.

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:53 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.2 #19 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

As much as I love my X-E1 with 35/1.4, I would always buy the new X100S if you really want a 35mm equiv. lens.
Faster, better AF and hybrid viewfinder.

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:57 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.2 #20 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

The X-E1 is a really nice camera. Be aware that changing AF points is a bit of a hassle. I read that comment from another one here as well. Too many clicks and with the wrong fingers/hands. Otherwise, great camera/system.

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:59 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password