Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Printer for a beginner?

Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Printer for a beginner?

Hello - I've been looking at some of the Canon printers on the market and could use some insight. I need a printer that will do OK with occasional, not daily printing, will mostly (but not exclusively) be printing B&W, and be easy to set up and use. And not break the bank. (!) Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Sharon

Feb 17, 2013 at 02:37 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Printer for a beginner?

first question is 'how big a print do you want to make?' Once you go past 13" wide (into 17" and 24"), selection narrows and prices increase.

Feb 17, 2013 at 03:19 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Printer for a beginner?

Thanks, Howard. Probably just 13" for now.

Feb 17, 2013 at 08:53 PM
gpchase
• • •
p.1 #4 · Printer for a beginner?

Epson 2880..I think they have a promo on right now..

Feb 17, 2013 at 08:55 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #5 · Printer for a beginner?

if you go the Epson route, consider the r3000 over the 2880. It is a newer generation product (more money of course).

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Printer for a beginner?

Thanks folks. I looked over some reviews on the Epson r3000. Tons of great reviews but a couple really bad ones concerning ink usage, particularly black it seems. Any experience with this?

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #7 · Printer for a beginner?

I have one but have no point of comparison on ink usage. Since it has black, light black and light light black inks, it would use more than a printer that has one or 2 blacks. Other printers would have to put down a tiny amount of black instead of a larger amount of light light black for example. The benefit is more even ink coverage. I suppose it costs more to print from 3 different blacks (+ mat black) but I doubt it makes a significant difference in the overall coast of a print.

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:28 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #8 · Printer for a beginner?

I've not used an epson in quite awhile so let me know if I'm off base... But.... Do Epson print heads clog if you let them sit for awhile? I have a Canon pro9000 MKII that I can let sit for months and still get good prints... I've heard you have to use Epsons very regularly or they'll clog....

So my question to the OP, if your a rookie, how often are you going to print? If the answer is not too often, I'd go Canon. There are still some unused pro 9000's around that were bought for double rebates.... Bought mine brand new off CL for way south of $200....

Feb 22, 2013 at 01:57 AM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #9 · Printer for a beginner?

I think the Epson printers no longer have the clogging problem. I used to let my old 2200 sit for a long time without any problems. I remember some complaints about this years ago but not recently.

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:29 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Printer for a beginner?

Ralph Thompson wrote:
I've not used an epson in quite awhile so let me know if I'm off base... But.... Do Epson print heads clog if you let them sit for awhile? I have a Canon pro9000 MKII that I can let sit for months and still get good prints... I've heard you have to use Epsons very regularly or they'll clog....

So my question to the OP, if your a rookie, how often are you going to print? If the answer is not too often, I'd go Canon. There are still some unused pro 9000's around that were bought for double rebates....
...Show more

Thanks Ralph - this is my thing, I will not be printing all that often, and clogging/dried up ink were my main concern. That, and just having an easy to use, easy to set up printer that will give good enough results for framing prints. I guess that's all anyone wants, right?

EDIT: I actually just found this Canon printer for a great price on local Craig's list. But the silly question is - once they are out of production can you still get ink/parts for the printer? And how do you like this printer? Thanks!

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:41 PM
pesto126
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Printer for a beginner?

I use the Canon i960 still for general prints and a Canon Pro 9500 for the serious stuff... I use aftermarket refills from Precision color and have been happy with this for years and years... i960 is still going strong for over 8 years now... no major clogs and a quick nozzle clean every so often keeps it printing strong. Highly recommend the Canon printers.. 9000 can be had very cheap nowadays...

Feb 23, 2013 at 06:04 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Printer for a beginner?

Thanks Pesto126! -

Wondering if anyone has experience with this model? Rebate has it at $309 right now which isn't horrible. Thanks

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/893738-REG/Canon_6228b002_Pixma_Pro_100_Photo_Inkjet.html

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:33 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password