Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Boy's Momma (Graphic and difficult imagery, NSFW)

MikeDotephoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Boy's Momma (Graphic and difficult imagery, NSFW)

Hello!

I am posting here some samplings from the new section of my website- photos from a body of work in progress entitled "Boy's Momma". The body of work is a series of portraits of my mother, who had a double mastectomy taken over the course of the last 2 1/2 years since my father passed away. The sequence I intend to present these images in is online at www.mikedote.com under portfolios.

Looking for a critique of the sequencing and processing of the images on my website if possible...

Boy's Momma by mikedotephoto, on Flickr

Boy's Momma- Hands by mikedotephoto, on Flickr

Boy's Momma- Mother Rockstar by mikedotephoto, on Flickr

Boy's Momma by mikedotephoto, on Flickr

Warrior Mother by mikedotephoto, on Flickr

Warrior Mother- Warming up by mikedotephoto, on Flickr

Feb 17, 2013 at 08:27 AM
nissanboy
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Boy's Momma (Graphic and difficult imagery, NSFW)

Great stuff. Love them all.

Feb 17, 2013 at 09:50 AM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Boy's Momma (Graphic and difficult imagery, NSFW)

Very powerful images.

Sequencing - the first one seems out of place in this series (I didn't look at website) because there is nothing intimate about it, the scene is cluttered and the processing is so different relative to the others following it.

Processing - gritty and hard and matching the photos and mood very well. In a word, excellent.

Feb 17, 2013 at 01:19 PM
FredVf
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Boy's Momma (Graphic and difficult imagery, NSFW)

Hi Mike,

First of all congratulations on your talent as a photographer. I saw your website and all images there were truly beautiful. I cannot citique your individual photographs because I think that alone they are all great. My only comment would be that when looking at the portfolio section of your website the "Models" section and "Fencing" section follow a particular visual style which is consistent and works really well together. When you go to the "Mother" section only some of these photos seem to go with that style and others do not. To me that feeling of inconsistency detracts from the overall feeling of quality of your body of work (although, like I said, I cannot individually ciritcise any of your photos because I think they are all great). It feels like a beautiful tapestry that starts to fray at the end. I think if you thin-out the selection the set will be much more powerful in both message and visual style. I can understand that in this series that may be easier said than done, since you have an emotional attachment to your subject, and every photograph probably has strong emotional meaning.

This is just my opinion. Amazing set and website otherwise.

Great job,

Fred

Feb 17, 2013 at 03:15 PM
normsmith
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Boy's Momma (Graphic and difficult imagery, NSFW)

I don't comment often on this forum of FM but, your images and the story behind them was gut-wrenching when I viewed them. I, of course, don't know the personal relationships involved,but the images are wonderfully done and I admire you for your courage to present them for the public.
Norm

Feb 17, 2013 at 08:28 PM
MikeDotephoto
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Boy's Momma (Graphic and difficult imagery, NSFW)

Everyone, Thank you for your words.

I've added captions to many of the images from boy's momma, which can be viewed on my website under info when you have an image highlighted.

Feb 18, 2013 at 04:34 AM
bwalwork
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Boy's Momma (Graphic and difficult imagery, NSFW)

Gritty!

Not my kind of imagery, but very effective.

Feb 18, 2013 at 09:50 PM
kylehess10
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Boy's Momma (Graphic and difficult imagery, NSFW)

Very powerful images...well done

Feb 19, 2013 at 06:56 AM

fredv
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Boy's Momma (Graphic and difficult imagery, NSFW)

Very, very strong images... I was taught, if it don't arouse an emotion itís not Art, just another pretty picture

Feb 20, 2013 at 04:23 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Boy's Momma (Graphic and difficult imagery, NSFW)

Nice work. I love the captions on your site, as well as your other work. Also, greetings from a fellow Columbia grad.

Feb 21, 2013 at 05:46 AM
MikeDotephoto
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Boy's Momma (Graphic and difficult imagery, NSFW)

Arka wrote:
Nice work. I love the captions on your site, as well as your other work. Also, greetings from a fellow Columbia grad.

Thank you for the kind words. I didn't actually finish up at Columbia. I'm still working on my undergraduate degree. At the moment, I am between schools.

Feb 21, 2013 at 06:34 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Boy's Momma (Graphic and difficult imagery, NSFW)

MikeDotephoto wrote:
Thank you for the kind words. I didn't actually finish up at Columbia. I'm still working on my undergraduate degree. At the moment, I am between schools.

Well, fellow Columbia student then Best of luck with your continuing studies, and keep up the excellent photography. Your images have a real presence and substance to them that I don't often see in the content routinely posted around here.

Feb 22, 2013 at 06:29 AM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Boy's Momma (Graphic and difficult imagery, NSFW)

Excellent job - very powerful pictures.

Feb 23, 2013 at 02:34 AM
Lightsearcher
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Boy's Momma (Graphic and difficult imagery, NSFW)

Interesting series, love the B&W conversion.

Regards.

Marcelo

Feb 23, 2013 at 04:41 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Boy's Momma (Graphic and difficult imagery, NSFW)

Powerful shots.

Feb 23, 2013 at 04:42 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password