Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Rugby tackle

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rugby tackle

From a match today...appreciate your thoughts.

Regards,

bob

NIKON D7000    80.0-200.0 mm f/2.8 lens    200mm    f/5.0    1/500s    160 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Feb 17, 2013 at 02:33 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rugby tackle

Dont know how well-qualified I am to comment on these Bob. But, that wont stop me.
The fast shutter stop-action images are all excellent with capture of the expressions, motion, intensity of the play. Love the toning/conversions, detail.
I know the Sports guys are a tough lot, but what would they critique?

Scott

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rugby tackle

sbeme wrote:
Dont know how well-qualified I am to comment on these Bob. But, that wont stop me.
The fast shutter stop-action images are all excellent with capture of the expressions, motion, intensity of the play. Love the toning/conversions, detail.
I know the Sports guys are a tough lot, but what would they critique?

Scott

Thanks Scott,

Helped I was about 20 yards removed from the action.

Re Sports: After my last venture in their neighborhood, they take exception to lots of things, by far the most egregious altering content, which I understand for sports as well as professional journalism is a huge deal (and I suspect, from the quality of the work, most folks over there are professionals). Well, some choose to apply that standard more widely, and made that known. Moving the baseball was a very, very bad idea.

The second, Photoshop-ing in general. I get the impression SOOC is the goal, although I've seen references to LR for NR and I assume sharpening. So, their bar is set very, very high, and commentary reflects that - fair enough so long as one is aware of that going in. And frankly, this image aside, I don't have the glass to meet their expectations.

Back to your question - I think the processing, vignette, etc. might offend some - and rugby is not a big seller. Otherwise it was crop, WB, sharpen. Nothing else was touched, not even selectively sharpening any areas. The reality? That question will never be answered.

Thanks again for looking,

Another match this coming weekend or, weather permitting, might change pace and go to a Civil War Re-enactment instead,

Regards,

Bob

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:25 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rugby tackle

Heh! Just don't offer it as sports photography. It's fine art. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Hard to do proper sports or bird photography to current expectations without a big dollar lens!

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rugby tackle

AuntiPode wrote:
Heh! Just don't offer it as sports photography. It's fine art. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Hard to do proper sports or bird photography to current expectations without a big dollar lens!

Karen,

Fine art it is, well, maybe the "art" part anyway :

And, that tasteful comment from a fan of the All Blacks I presume?

Good to hear from you,

Bob

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:37 AM
NandanWarrier

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rugby tackle

Hey Bob,

Liked it. Really nice action shots. Tack sharp subjects. Except for the middle one. Was it on purpose ? I would also love to see a shot where both athletes suspended in air kind of shot..

Am no much expert in any photography.. so take everything with a pinch of salt.. Its just a thought..

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:03 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rugby tackle

NandanWarrier wrote:
Hey Bob,

Liked it. Really nice action shots. Tack sharp subjects. Except for the middle one. Was it on purpose ? I would also love to see a shot where both athletes suspended in air kind of shot..

Am no much expert in any photography.. so take everything with a pinch of salt.. Its just a thought..

Thanks for your thoughts - bit of serendipity on these as I get maybe 6 opportunities to shoot matches a year - I'm not on the travelling squad (nor do I have the time for that)

Regards,

Bob

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:33 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password