Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Your tablet PC as lightbox

ioannicolae

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Your tablet PC as lightbox

Yesterday, because it is weekend and I had enough time I wanted to make a selection of slides for sending to scanner but unfortunately my old lightbox was not working due to the power adapter. And here I am put in a position to find an alternative way of viewing the slides easy and comfortable. The simplest and convenient option that I had in mind was to use my tablet as a lightbox. Or rather said as lighttab.

With surprise I found that is even more convenient and useful to use the tablet because I can adjust good enough not only the light intensity but the color temperature of light. Well? How about that? Could you do something like that with a classic lightbox?

Here is the full article, including photos...
http://blog.ioannicolae.ro/2013/02/your-android-tablet-as-lightbox.html

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:28 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Your tablet PC as lightbox

I guess a tablet has some use and is portable, but a real computer with a nice large display is much more productive. I'm curious how long it takes to display the slides for a folder with 2000 RAW files for example.

EBH

Feb 17, 2013 at 02:39 AM
ioannicolae

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Your tablet PC as lightbox

I think you misunderstood me... I'm talking about slides (film E-6) that are mounted in frame, is not about digital files.

Feb 17, 2013 at 02:43 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Your tablet PC as lightbox

I think I understand exactly what you're saying. Sounds very

Unfortunately for me, I stopped shooting MF and LF film (whatever they are) many years before getting my first smart phone, and even more years before getting my first tablet.

Talk about two ships passing in the night...

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:27 AM
TheBearman
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Your tablet PC as lightbox

I've been dealing with 40 year old family slides and did the same thing with my iPad. Works great, as you stated, and saves me the cost of a light box.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:31 AM
ioannicolae

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Your tablet PC as lightbox

As an extrapolation of what we are talking about, the irony will be to use our DSLR display for viewing the slides...

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:21 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Your tablet PC as lightbox

I love this!

Feb 20, 2013 at 08:51 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Your tablet PC as lightbox

Must eat battery life/heat up a good amount-- if you're doing this for an extended period of time.

Feb 20, 2013 at 08:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ioannicolae

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Your tablet PC as lightbox

True, but it depend by the battery capacity. My tablet have a 5000mA battery and I can do this for 3-4 hours. It's quite OK. Or you can plug the tablet charger.

--
http://www.ioannicolae.ro

Feb 20, 2013 at 08:27 PM
lou f
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Your tablet PC as lightbox

using a loupe? I'd have imagined you'd see the pixels no?

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:58 AM
ioannicolae

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Your tablet PC as lightbox

Yes, the pixels are visible. You can put between the slides and the screen an archival sheet with matte surface or any other matte sheet. In this way you can use your camera as a scanner as in my article from here (please use Google translation):http://blog.ioannicolae.ro/2013/02/un-hibrid-analogo-digital-ciudat-dar.html

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:05 AM
ioannicolae

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Your tablet PC as lightbox

A new test with upgraded "tools" is available here (please use google translation): http://blog.ioannicolae.ro/2013/12/un-hibrid-analogo-digital-ciudat-dar.html

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:12 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Your tablet PC as lightbox

Yes, I have used my iPad as lightbox before....it's larger than my tiny lightbox (plus I forgot where my lightbox is...)

Dec 16, 2013 at 03:45 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Your tablet PC as lightbox

I too use my iPad as a lightbox. Battery lasts for many hours and the LEDs don't generate any heat I can feel. I haven't shot film for nearly 10 years but I still have a couple filing cabs of unscanned chromes and negs. I was about to ditch my ancient Canon FS4000US film scanner--Canon last updated the software over a decade ago--and discovered VueScan. Shocking how well that old scanner works. Much better scans than when it was new.

Dec 17, 2013 at 06:54 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Your tablet PC as lightbox

as long as you accept the fact you have no color balance for you backlight you can use it as you wish

Dec 18, 2013 at 01:35 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password