New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Need Mpix Pro ICC profile for Hahnemuhle Fine Art matte please

time2clmb
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need Mpix Pro ICC profile for Hahnemuhle Fine Art matte please

Hi,

I am needing information on ICC profile for:
Hahnemuhle Fine Art
Matte fine art textured
German Etching
310 gsm

I know I can get the profile from the Hahnemuhle site, and know they use the Epson printers as per the email response I recieved from them, however they did not specify which model of Epson printer they use. There is a rather large list of profile options for Epson printers depending on the particular model. If you know which model printer there use for the above paper that would be much appreciated. Please feel free to PM me if you don't want to post here.

Thanks for your time.

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need Mpix Pro ICC profile for Hahnemuhle Fine Art matte please

Seems like nobody would know the answer except the employee who prints your file. If you're not getting the answer, talk to a supervisor or print somewhere that will answer your question.

Feb 16, 2013 at 08:36 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need Mpix Pro ICC profile for Hahnemuhle Fine Art matte please

You need to know the exact printer being used and use the profile for that. And even better, they should really supply a custom profile, not one from Hannemühle, which may or may not be good. Your lab (mpix) should be able to provide you with everything you need to get your print done to your satisfaction. They are who you should be asking.

Feb 16, 2013 at 08:41 PM
markd61
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need Mpix Pro ICC profile for Hahnemuhle Fine Art matte please

To be perfectly fair, while your access to the profile will allow you to soft proof the image there is a lot of distance to go before the image actually looks the way you feel it should.
I am sure you are calibrating your monitor but what sort of image are you printing? Is it a high saturation image or a low saturation image? High key or low key?
All these have an effect on how the image prints relative to the screen image.
A phenomenon I have noticed in the 20 or so years of printing is that all the tech in the world does not get perfection. The tools work very well for average images but as the colors and values move further from the center the results get increasingly erratic.
This is not to say you won't have complete success but rather not to put all your faith in the CM tools.
In our lab we would get files of all sorts submitted(generally 8bit JPG and TIFs, sRGB and ARGB) and we then printed them using our custom profile as we assumed that a skilled person would prep the file on their calibrated system (or not) and using our custom profile we would get the best possible result.
Interestingly, we learned very early on that some files came out looking exactly like their screen image but some did not. The ones that did not were not necessarily bad just different.
Thinking that soft proofing would clarify the issue we tried that and no dice. The image still did not look like the final print.

Long story short, even if you get the profile there is no guarantee of success. The best possibility is to get small prints from your supplier and tweak from there if you are that picky. If not, correct the file,and trust the print provider to make a print you will like.

Feb 17, 2013 at 03:08 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need Mpix Pro ICC profile for Hahnemuhle Fine Art matte please

Well, without a good profile, you're gonna be spinning your wheels needlessly, so the profile is the best place to start.

Just out of curiosity, Mark, what lab do you or did you work at in Southern California?

Feb 17, 2013 at 03:48 AM
time2clmb
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need Mpix Pro ICC profile for Hahnemuhle Fine Art matte please

Peter Figen wrote:
should be able to provide you with everything you need to get your print done to your satisfaction. They are who you should be asking.

I'm still waiting a reply as they "research it" and get back to me. Thought maybe some one here might know while I wait. Still have heard nothing, but it is Sunday.

Feb 17, 2013 at 04:28 PM
time2clmb
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need Mpix Pro ICC profile for Hahnemuhle Fine Art matte please

markd61 wrote:
To be perfectly fair, while your access to the profile will allow you to soft proof the image there is a lot of distance to go before the image actually looks the way you feel it should.
I am sure you are calibrating your monitor but what sort of image are you printing? Is it a high saturation image or a low saturation image? High key or low key?
All these have an effect on how the image prints relative to the screen image.
A phenomenon I have noticed in the 20 or so years of printing is that all the
...Show more

Thanks for the reply. I understand that it will not match to perfection most likely, but would still like to soft proof it to get it as close as I can without worrying as much about having 0 control what so ever. Niether high or low key....landscape prints. I was very pleased with the results I got on the Endura paper profile through them. Without the profile they were much darker and lost alot of contrast, however after soft proofing I was very happy with them, and i'm hoping for the same result.

Feb 17, 2013 at 04:32 PM
time2clmb
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need Mpix Pro ICC profile for Hahnemuhle Fine Art matte please

One of my goals is to start doing my own printing for full control.

Feb 17, 2013 at 04:33 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need Mpix Pro ICC profile for Hahnemuhle Fine Art matte please

I print on a variety of Hannemühle papers on my Epson 9900 and make my own custom profiles for each. The results are really quite predictable and even though the fine art matte papers don't have the gamut or d-max of the photo papers, they can still print quite colorful and completely satisfying images. You'll learn quickly enough what works well and what doesn't. Hint: dark warm saturated colors are going to be a problem on matte papers of any kind and will often need some pre-emptive action - desaturation and lightening of the dark areas somewhat to help them along. Any lab that has to "research" their profile situation has more problems that I would be willing to put up with. There are a lot of choices out there for high quality printing.

Feb 17, 2013 at 06:26 PM
markd61
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need Mpix Pro ICC profile for Hahnemuhle Fine Art matte please

Peter, If you correct your work in ProPhoto color space and convert to Argb for a print file and send it to a lab that then loads that file into its workflow just how will that be different than converting to the profile of the printer (which may or may not be the most up to date)?
The lab applies the printer profile on the fly to your file in the first case and in the second the printer prints the file straight.
For my money I would want the file printed with the most up to date profile and that would be the one the lab has. In addition, should the heads have been recently changed (I am speaking Epson here) the chance of the profile being poor goes up enormously.
Moreover, I have never really seen any use in correcting from the soft proof. If the proof shifts that much from ones working space to the soft proof image then there is something wrong in the system. I have friends that swear by soft proofing but even watching their workflow I see no advantage from that method.

Feb 20, 2013 at 02:11 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need Mpix Pro ICC profile for Hahnemuhle Fine Art matte please

"If you correct your work in ProPhoto color space and convert to Argb for a print file and send it to a lab that then loads that file into its workflow just how will that be different than converting to the profile of the printer"

Well, the big advantage, of course, is you get to choose your rendering intent when you convert. That's huge, especially when dealing with limited gamut printers like Lightjets or inkjets on matte papers. If you're like me, you might even make two conversions - one using Relative Colorimetric and one using Perceptual and blend them together for the best result. I actually use this more for offset lithography than photographic prints, but it's a great technique.

If a lab is not supplying you the most up to date profile reflecting the current state of their equipment, then they're not a lab I want to be dealing with. Any decent lab with post updated profiles as necessary. Not sure how often Epsons actually need their heads replaced, but that's beside the point anyway.

I never mentioned ProPhoto RGB as a working space, because it's one that I almost never use, but for those that insist upon it, it offers up even more problems when printing to smaller gamut devices. You're forced to use Perceptual rendering more often in order to effectively deal with out of gamut colors. Then, the issue of how the profile was made, who made it, what software, and what parameters were used when generating that profile become important.

In addition, if you had a ProPhoto RGB file and wanted to go to print, you'd most likely be better off going directly from that to the print profile, as the intermediate conversion you suggest to Adobe RGB leaves you no choice of rendering intent - you get RC no matter what you choose in the C2P menu.

What lab did you say you worked for

Feb 20, 2013 at 03:26 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.