Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · hey guys!

mweddle
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · hey guys!

I haven't been on here in a long time.I'm shooting my first solo wedding in a couple weeks and It's defnitely an "Uncle Bob" type scenario. The bride knows what is going on and I need to get a solid lighting setup to get some group shots. I'm shooting with a 5DmkII and some decent lenses. I don't have the budget for high end lights or anything like that. Any recommendations you guys could give would be helpful.

Feb 16, 2013 at 05:58 AM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #2 · hey guys!

Where will you be doing the formals, what type of day, what equipment do you already have?

Feb 16, 2013 at 06:06 AM
mweddle
• • •
p.1 #3 · hey guys!

I'll be shooting with a 5dmkII and a 24-105 f4, 85mm 1.8 AND A 17-40MM, if need be. It will be in a church with poor lightng. all I have right now is a Canon 430EXII. I know its not ideal, but it's a family siutation and I want to do the best that I can do given my resources.

Feb 16, 2013 at 06:12 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · hey guys!

Is that ALL you plan to use?

Feb 16, 2013 at 06:33 AM
jerbear00
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · hey guys!

Good luck... Wouldn't go messing with light you have never used unless you have more time.

Feb 16, 2013 at 06:41 AM
mweddle
• • •
p.1 #6 · hey guys!

I know I need some kind of lighting, I just want to do the best job I can do given the situation.

Feb 16, 2013 at 06:51 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · hey guys!

Be more specific on what recommendations you want. You say you don't have a budget for high end lights, what is your budget? Do you know how to operate a manually powered flash? Do you have radio triggers or will be using a cable? Do you have any lighting equipment at all? What is your definition of "solid lighting setup to get some group shots"? Do you have an example of what you would like it to look like?

Feb 16, 2013 at 06:54 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · hey guys!

jerbear00 wrote:
Wouldn't go messing with light you have never used unless you have more time.

+1

Put the 430 on a tall on-camera flash bracket, aim straight forward, and be done with it.

Feb 16, 2013 at 08:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

That Photog
• •
p.1 #9 · hey guys!

um, backup equipment. Don't mess with a wedding without it. At minimum a second body and flash.

Feb 16, 2013 at 05:29 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #10 · hey guys!

Rent! If you dont have it, rent it. Rent it early to learn the gear or rent one day just to play and practice so you know how to use it for the wedding. Renting the proper gear needed for a job will be so worth the expense so you can deliver!

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/lighting

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/packages

For the future price accordingly to cover rentals. And even if you take a hit from rentals this wedding.. the future payoff will be worth it the hit.

Feb 17, 2013 at 01:59 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #11 · hey guys!

Hard to offer equipment advice without even a hint what your budget is. If you're looking to buy additional lights, a few cheap used strobes (e.g., Nikon SB-80 can be found on ebay for $$80-$110 per strobe) and some inexpensive radio triggers (e.g., used Cybersyncs) might be a good route. You'll need a couple of stands as well. And you'll need time to practice with them. That's assuming you already shoot competently in full manual mode and have at least a basic understanding of how to use off-camera flash. If you're contemplating trying a completely foreign setup at a wedding, that's just crazy, and you should follow Diggler's recommendation to use a decent flash bracket and go with that.

If you only have one body, you should get your hands on a second one. You probably have a friend with a 5Dc or 5DII who would let you borrow it for the weekend -- no need to buy a second body for one wedding. But you definitely want two bodies. Aside from the convenience of having two bodies with different lenses already mounted, you've got a backup in case of emergency.

Feb 17, 2013 at 03:48 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #12 · hey guys!

If your groups are small a single flash will work. If you will be shooting a lot of people then the single flash will not spread light very wide, maybe only 3-4 people wide then falls off fast. This is when it is good to have 2 more flash units. For manual flash go buy 2 Yonguno units for under $70.00 each, plus light stands and adapter to hold the flash to the stand. They fire from seeing the main flash or anyone else shooting, so it is best to have a radio trigger. Use a flash card to cut down on that 'direct flash' look or a umbrella or SB. Practice ahead of time.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:28 AM
WNStudio
• • •
p.1 #13 · hey guys!

I'd do what I can with what I got and I'm comfortable with.
If you don't want to invest much- then cheap 3-rd party flash plus wireless trigers (phottix works great for me) should help. Off camera flash gives great results, but you need to practice first- a wedding in not a great practice field
Good luck.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:07 AM
mweddle
• • •
p.1 #14 · hey guys!

Thanks for all the advice guys! Definitely not going to use new equipment for the first time at the wedding, I know better than that. I'm not a wedding photographer per se, it's a just a one off deal. Definitely gonna try and learn new equipment before hand and get a 2nd body.

Feb 19, 2013 at 01:08 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · hey guys!

I use the Manfrotto 233B flash bracket for the circumstance you describe:

Extends nice and long:

Feb 20, 2013 at 04:40 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password