Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · To post or not to post...

morby
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · To post or not to post...

On Wednesday I posted my 2012 year in review and Todd did a great critique of my images. In reading his comments it sparked a discussion between my wife and me, and I wanted to see if you all have this dilemma as well.

Todd had mentioned "getting to know people and showing personality". I'm sure this is something we all strive for in our photography, but sometimes (if not often) we miss the mark. Often times when the true personality comes out it makes for an unflattering picture. Things happen like double chins, squinting, awkward smiles, scrunched noses and on and on... When someone wants to take my picture I smile at the camera and have a certain "look" about me. It's a look I like and don't mind having photographed. But, if they get me laughing, and my personality comes out, then I have double chins, my horrible teeth are showing, my nose if scrunched. I hate the way I look when I'm laughing, but the truth is, that unflattering picture shows my personality. It's candid, it's true, it's me.

When I'm going through my wedding photos and deciding which ones to blog, I come across some pictures that show great moments, but I'm hesitant to blog them. Those images will definitely end up on the disc, but I often won't post them for the world to see, just in case the bride doesn't like it. One recent example was a bride that showed a lot of gums when she smiled and her nose contorted a weird way. There were some great moments where her true smile came out, but if she's like me she may not like that look, especially when it's put out there for everyone to see.

Below are two images that I posted this week from a wedding I did on Saturday. I think they both tow the line of showing personality, but not crossing the line of unflattering. The bride and groom laughed a lot throughout the day, but when they did they would pull their head back, which caused them to have some serious double chins. Also, they both had gaps in their teeth, which they might not be happy about. The only reason I think that may be true is because they both did teeth-less smiles for the posed pictures. The two images below were postable, but if I was going for "true personality" I probably missed the mark.

Does anyone else out there have this issue? You want to portray who the couple is, but also trying to do it in the most flattering way possible.

Here are the two images I'm talking about...

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:05 AM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · To post or not to post...

I personally wouldn't want #1 shown if I were the bride. It's just unflattering for several them. And, you might risk losing any chance of one of the bridesmaids hiring you in the future. I get why it's a fun shot, but us girls can be weird like that.

#2 looks fine to me.

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:37 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · To post or not to post...

I wouldn't show number one. Might not even deliver it to the bride.

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:40 AM
morby
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · To post or not to post...

ckhagen wrote:
I personally wouldn't want #1 shown if I were the bride. It's just unflattering for several them. And, you might risk losing any chance of one of the bridesmaids hiring you in the future. I get why it's a fun shot, but us girls can be weird like that.

#2 looks fine to me.

That's my dilemma! There are fun moments like this one that are unflattering. Many of the photos where everyone looks great are boring.

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:40 AM
morby
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · To post or not to post...

D. Diggler wrote:
I wouldn't show number one. Might not even deliver it to the bride.

I already posted that image and a few others and this is the email she sent me...

"I just wanted to say thank you again for the photos and all the hard work! I had high expectations and you completely blew them away! It probably sounds weird, but I am obsessed with the pictures that I have seen so far! You really helped make the day that much more perfect! THANK YOU!!!!!"

She seemed to like all of the images, so I'm not worried. But, my question is how do you show personality of a couple (and their friends) yet do it in a flattering way? These were used as examples of the dilemma I face and wanted to see if other experience it as well.

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:46 AM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · To post or not to post...

You've got to keep in mind that 99% of the time, no one will jump up and scream "omg take that down", they'll just cringe and an impression will be left buy you'll never hear about it. I've had shots of me posted that I didn't like, but I didn't say anything because I just didn't want to ruffle feathers.

Feb 16, 2013 at 04:01 AM
morby
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · To post or not to post...

ckhagen wrote:
You've got to keep in mind that 99% of the time, no one will jump up and scream "omg take that down", they'll just cringe and an impression will be left buy you'll never hear about it. I've had shots of me posted that I didn't like, but I didn't say anything because I just didn't want to ruffle feathers.

What would you suggest when posting? I like the moment and the fun they are having. In the overall post I think that the images are flattering, it was just this one of the girls and that one of him. I always run posts by my wife and she gives me honest feedback. Do you steer clear of anything that might be unflattering, even if you like it?

Feb 16, 2013 at 04:04 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · To post or not to post...

Are there no other images that show them having a good time? Blog only your best images. Less is more. I'd rather show 10 kick ass images than 30 ok images.

Also, blog images that show what you can do for potential couples that are looking for a photographer. You're marketing on the blog, not trying to please the couple.

Feb 16, 2013 at 04:27 AM
morby
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · To post or not to post...

Inku Yo wrote:
Are there no other images that show them having a good time? Blog only your best images. Less is more. I'd rather show 10 kick ass images than 30 ok images.

Also, blog images that show what you can do for potential couples that are looking for a photographer. You're marketing on the blog, not trying to please the couple.

There are other images that show them having fun. I'd have to say that the blog is twofold. It's important to please the couple in the post, because you want them to rave about you and show their friends. I also agree that it's advertising as well. But for me I'm out to make the couples happy on my blog and leave the rest of my website to be my main advertising push. The majority of my inquires come from past brides and vendors. Only a handful come from people that have seen my blog or a post on Facebook.

Feb 16, 2013 at 04:34 AM
morby
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · To post or not to post...

Crazy thing is that I just checked out the brides Facebook page and she has that image of her and her bridesmaids as her banner image. Too funny! What does that say?

Feb 16, 2013 at 04:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

morby
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · To post or not to post...

Maybe it just shows that clients and photographers see things differently

Feb 16, 2013 at 04:40 AM
zquaratella
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · To post or not to post...

morby wrote:
Maybe it just shows that clients and photographers see things differently

For all the formality of the day and posing and what-not, maybe the bride felt this was one picture where you really caught her and her friends' emotions really well, regardless of how they look!

Feb 16, 2013 at 04:46 AM
neil_johnson

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · To post or not to post...

I'm not a wedding photographer but I did have a wedding last year that was shot by a really great couple who specialize in a more candid / creative style.

There were obviously a few photos in the disk that both I and my wife didn't like (more so her) but we didn't mention anything to him because at the end of the day what is that solving? It's not like you get a refund for photos you don't like and giving creative feedback to a professional just doesn't seem right. Multiple times my wife would say, "it wasn't his fault, I just don't like how I look in some of the photos". She's self conscious of some marks on her face from acne when she was younger.

When he posted to the blog he didn't post any of the shots we didn't like but posted the more artsy / creative shots which I believe were the ones that showcased his work the best. There were some great candid shots including one of her grandma taking a photo with an ancient film camera but it showed her waggy arms and armpits, something that normally wouldn't fly but the shot itself was too good to just dump for those reasons. It didn't go up on his blog but went in our album.

Feb 16, 2013 at 04:46 AM
morby
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · To post or not to post...

neil_johnson wrote:
I'm not a wedding photographer but I did have a wedding last year that was shot by a really great couple who specialize in a more candid / creative style.

There were obviously a few photos in the disk that both I and my wife didn't like (more so her) but we didn't mention anything to him because at the end of the day what is that solving? It's not like you get a refund for photos you don't like and giving creative feedback to a professional just doesn't seem right. Multiple times my wife would say, "it wasn't his
...Show more

It's really hard to tell what will have meaning to a couple and what won't. I'm always shocked by some of the photos that couples choose to put in their albums. Sometimes my favorites and the couples line up, but sometimes it's way off. Everyone sees things a little bit differently when viewing a photograph. Just look at people's profile pics on Facebook and you'll cringe thinking, "they think that's a good photo of themselves?"

Feb 16, 2013 at 04:55 AM
morby
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · To post or not to post...

zquaratella wrote:
For all the formality of the day and posing and what-not, maybe the bride felt this was one picture where you really caught her and her friends' emotions really well, regardless of how they look!

That's my hope!

Feb 16, 2013 at 05:00 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · To post or not to post...

morby wrote:
I'd have to say that the blog is twofold.

I disagree, but that's ok. You can show what you want people to see using images that are flattering and makes your clients look their best. That's marketing to your future clients (although using images that make your clients look good will make them happy). That generally happens when you show your best work. Not sure it's possible to show your "best" work and have your clients look like shit.

When I look at other photographers blogs, I look for images that are unique or stand out. There's lots of homogeneity among photographers. How do you stand out from the crowd?

Feb 16, 2013 at 05:04 AM
morby
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · To post or not to post...

Inku Yo wrote:
I disagree, but that's ok. You can show what you want people to see using images that are flattering and makes your clients look their best. That's marketing to your future clients (although using images that make your clients look good will make them happy). That generally happens when you show your best work. Not sure it's possible to show your "best" work and have your clients look like shit.

When I look at other photographers blogs, I look for images that are unique or stand out. There's lots of homogeneity among photographers. How do you stand out from the
...Show more

I'd have to say I never post what I think is crap on my blog. But, I will post some images that might not be amazing, but help to tell the story of the day. I believe a blog post has to have a flow and say something about the wedding. Because of that I will post photos that help with the overall story, but might not be a knockout that I put in my portfolio.

What makes me stand out? From what I've heard and what I see in my work use of light makes me stand out. I'm heavily influenced by painters like Caravaggio, David & Rembrant and I think it comes out in the way I photograph. I can't shoot that way all of the time, but the much of my work reflects that.

Feb 16, 2013 at 05:10 AM
neil_johnson

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · To post or not to post...

morby wrote:
It's really hard to tell what will have meaning to a couple and what won't. I'm always shocked by some of the photos that couples choose to put in their albums. Sometimes my favorites and the couples line up, but sometimes it's way off. Everyone sees things a little bit differently when viewing a photograph. Just look at people's profile pics on Facebook and you'll cringe thinking, "they think that's a good photo of themselves?"

It is seeing it from different perspectives. I am a designer and amateur photographer so I look for good composition, lighting etc in our wedding photos in addition to the subject matter while my wife was looking for marks on her face first or if her shoes looked right etc.

Questionable pics aside that were there were a number of photos that were universally praised and everyone knew they would be great when we were taking them.

Our wedding was both easy and a challenge in that it was only 9 people total and was in non traditional venues like a bar, an art gallery, and a normal restaurant along with a walk between them so the typical shots of people dancing or walking down an isle didn't exist. The photographer had to use our input and what he learned from us personality wise (and I think he improvised when he met our families and understood how they act) to adjust to shoot what he though we wanted mixed with what from his perspective would work and look good.

What you do show on your blog / gallery though presents how you want to be seen. I eliminated many photographers because they seemed just in 10 seconds too cookie cutter for me. If they were, who knows but their choices of imagery they showed presented themselves that way.

I hear what you are saying totally, in this world you can't really please everyone and everyone is a critic.

Feb 16, 2013 at 05:19 AM
jofoto photo
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · To post or not to post...

show what makes the phone ring, at mentioned already it shows personality and if it's the Bride's Facebook cover, you shouldn't need convincing. Personality, Emotion and connection that's the reason you where chosen. Don't hide it

Had a similar critic done of mine and took down suggested pics, phone didn't ring, put them back up and more, phone rings.

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Brian Virts
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · To post or not to post...

Images are too large IMO, my eye couldn't even discern what was happening and then I saw "unflattering" and I was out. Keep shooting...

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:20 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password