Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Looking for two or three trail partners for Glacier Natio...

matthewh133
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for two or three trail partners for Glacier National Park (USA)/Canadian Rockies in August.

Sorry, I'm not sure if this is the place for this post..

I'm looking for a couple of fellow photographers to join me for some hikes while on the Glacier National Park (Montana USA) and Canadian Rockies leg of my trip. This is because I have some locations I'd like to shoot that it's neither safe nor sane to go out on these trail alone for sunset and be coming back in the dark due to common grizzly bear activity in the areas. I'd like to have at least a group of 3.

Here is a portfolio of some of my work: http://500px.com/matthewh133[1]

Here are likely dates for the trip (dates of nights staying in area):

Banff 31st of July
Jasper 1st and 2nd of August
Lake Magog (Assiniboine) 3rd
Moraine Lake area 4th - 6th
Lake O'Hara camping 7th
Moraine Lake area 8th
Banff 9th
Glacier National Park (Montana) 10th - 18th.

Dates at certain places might change slightly but it will definitely be this time period.

Hikes around Moraine Lake require a minimum of 4 people by law. I know a couple of places in the Canadian Rockies which are fairly remote and untouched which I'd love to shoot and will require some fellow photographers for those.

In Glacier National Park I'd love to do Grinnell Lake and Iceberg Lake at sunset which I'd definitely also need some company for.. though I'd be happy to have some company for just some enjoyable day hikes which won't be focused solely on photography.

I need anyone interested to be decently fit as I don't really want to be stopping and resting much or at all. I'd also prefer to be with people around my age group 18-30, though I don't have a problem catching up with older travelers.

If you're interested please send me a private message with some information about yourself and maybe a gallery of some of your work.

Thanks for reading!

EDIT: Just thought I'd mention that I have in fact been to both the Canadian Rockies and Glacier National Park before.. so if you have any questions about what to expect feel free to shoot them my way. Also I am Australian so you must be able to deal with hearing me say "mate" and "cheers" every few words.

Edited on May 27, 2013 at 07:36 AM · View previous versions

Feb 16, 2013 at 02:47 AM
BryanSwan
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for two or three trail partners for Glacier National Park (USA)/Canadian Rockies in August.

matthewh133 wrote:
Hikes around Moraine Lake require a minimum of 4 people by law.

Curious if you might elaborate on this a bit more as best you can. I've never heard about requirements of hiking with a group larger than X people, usually it's reversed so that you can't have more than X number of people in one party. I know Parks Canada does recommend hiking in groups to deter bear encounters, but I've never heard of it being a legal requirement and I certainly can't see how they could enforce it.

Feb 16, 2013 at 05:50 AM
matthewh133
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for two or three trail partners for Glacier National Park (USA)/Canadian Rockies in August.

BryanSwan wrote:
Curious if you might elaborate on this a bit more as best you can. I've never heard about requirements of hiking with a group larger than X people, usually it's reversed so that you can't have more than X number of people in one party. I know Parks Canada does recommend hiking in groups to deter bear encounters, but I've never heard of it being a legal requirement and I certainly can't see how they could enforce it.

There's signs around the trail heads at Moraine Lake saying that you require a party of 4 or more or you can be fined. It's a method of protecting the bears mainly by having large groups on which make more noise, reducing the change of bear and human contact.

Feb 16, 2013 at 06:33 AM
BryanSwan
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for two or three trail partners for Glacier National Park (USA)/Canadian Rockies in August.

Ah, okay. Literally only applies to the Ten Peak Valley, Paradise Valley and Consolation Valley areas, and having never been past the lake viewpoint that explains why I've not come across that requirement before. Definitely puts a damper on access to some prime shooting locations.

Feb 17, 2013 at 07:48 AM
matthewh133
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for two or three trail partners for Glacier National Park (USA)/Canadian Rockies in August.

BryanSwan wrote:
Ah, okay. Literally only applies to the Ten Peak Valley, Paradise Valley and Consolation Valley areas, and having never been past the lake viewpoint that explains why I've not come across that requirement before. Definitely puts a damper on access to some prime shooting locations.

Yeah, though it's not too bad as the main lakes (Moraine/Lake Louise/Peyto etc) are all within close proximity to car parks and don't require a limit on hikers. There's this one or two particular hidden lakes around Moraine Lake I'd love to get to for Sunset or Sunrise though and it's a basically non-existent trail through some pretty rough terrain to get to it. Definitely need a decent size group through there with common grizzly activity in the area.

BTW I thought your name sounded familiar.. I'm following you on 500px

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:17 AM
BryanSwan
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for two or three trail partners for Glacier National Park (USA)/Canadian Rockies in August.

matthewh133 wrote:
Yeah, though it's not too bad as the main lakes (Moraine/Lake Louise/Peyto etc) are all within close proximity to car parks and don't require a limit on hikers. There's this one or two particular hidden lakes around Moraine Lake I'd love to get to for Sunset or Sunrise though and it's a basically non-existent trail through some pretty rough terrain to get to it. Definitely need a decent size group through there with common grizzly activity in the area.

I know exactly the lakes you're talking about. I'd been eyeballing them too myself for my next trip into the area, but as I have a small car I'm usually solo or with only one other hiking partner, so it may likewise be a while before I get up into that basin due to these requirements. I have yet to do a serious generic landscape photography run through the Rockies parks though (been three times, mostly looking for waterfalls), so still tons of other locations to hit on a trip up there.

BTW I thought your name sounded familiar.. I'm following you on 500px

Small internet.

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:06 AM
matthewh133
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for two or three trail partners for Glacier National Park (USA)/Canadian Rockies in August.

BryanSwan wrote:
I know exactly the lakes you're talking about. I'd been eyeballing them too myself for my next trip into the area, but as I have a small car I'm usually solo or with only one other hiking partner, so it may likewise be a while before I get up into that basin due to these requirements. I have yet to do a serious generic landscape photography run through the Rockies parks though (been three times, mostly looking for waterfalls), so still tons of other locations to hit on a trip up there.

Well if you want to hit up some of those places with me early August let me know! Should have 1 or 2 others from my searches who would be interested and would make it a safe trip. We'll have our own cars as I'll be sleeping in mine too most of the time.

Feb 18, 2013 at 09:55 AM
BryanSwan
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for two or three trail partners for Glacier National Park (USA)/Canadian Rockies in August.

I actually do plan on being up in the Rockies this summer, but I don't know when yet - depends on when two of my party will be able to get time off. I'll sure keep you in mind though.

Feb 20, 2013 at 07:23 AM
matthewh133
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for two or three trail partners for Glacier National Park (USA)/Canadian Rockies in August.

BryanSwan wrote:
I actually do plan on being up in the Rockies this summer, but I don't know when yet - depends on when two of my party will be able to get time off. I'll sure keep you in mind though.

Sounds good to me! Let me know how you go.

Feb 20, 2013 at 08:35 AM
matthewh133
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for two or three trail partners for Glacier National Park (USA)/Canadian Rockies in August.

Bump, looking for 2 more to join the party

Mar 28, 2013 at 01:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

time2clmb
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking for two or three trail partners for Glacier National Park (USA)/Canadian Rockies in August.

Morraine lake trails do not always have group restrictions. I hike solo in there all the time when the restrictions are not in place. The restrictions come in to effect once the grizzly activity starts to pick up usually around mid summer on. Usually some where around the time the o.p. is coming, but there is a slight chance they might not be in effect yet.

I live in Banff so drop me a line if you are still looking for people to head out with. I hike, climb, scramble and back country ski virtually every other day if not every day so i'm completely 100% capable in a mountain environment. I'm 6 years out of your age requirements though lol.

Mar 28, 2013 at 02:34 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking for two or three trail partners for Glacier National Park (USA)/Canadian Rockies in August.

Im still in for part of the trip btw. August 2nd to 6th and looking forward to it

Mar 28, 2013 at 02:51 PM
matthewh133
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking for two or three trail partners for Glacier National Park (USA)/Canadian Rockies in August.

time2clmb wrote:
Morraine lake trails do not always have group restrictions. I hike solo in there all the time when the restrictions are not in place. The restrictions come in to effect once the grizzly activity starts to pick up usually around mid summer on. Usually some where around the time the o.p. is coming, but there is a slight chance they might not be in effect yet.

I live in Banff so drop me a line if you are still looking for people to head out with. I hike, climb, scramble and back country ski virtually every other day if not every
...Show more

So incredibly jealous of your lifestyle lol. Yeha well I figured when I was there last year it was mid July and the restrictions were in place already. I'd feel safer heading back in the dark with a few people rather than just myself anyway haha.

Would love to have you along for some hikes! I'm sure you know a few secret spots too I'll shoot you a PM with my email and contact you through there.

Justin Grimm wrote:
Im still in for part of the trip btw. August 2nd to 6th and looking forward to it

Nice! I'll shoot you a PM.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:02 PM
matthewh133
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Looking for two or three trail partners for Glacier National Park (USA)/Canadian Rockies in August.

Bump. Still need one or two more. Especially for Glacier National Park. Come on guys! Not often you get a chance to hike out to some of these places for sunset!

Apr 05, 2013 at 06:12 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Looking for two or three trail partners for Glacier National Park (USA)/Canadian Rockies in August.

I hiked down from the Granite Park Chalet in Glacier NP at night one time with a few people last july. Did not see any animals but its a scary though to encounter a bear. Its a very real possibility there. There are some areas at the end of avalanche lake that spooked me quite a bit. I went there solo and bolted. Best to go with at least 2 other people IMHO.

Apr 05, 2013 at 09:30 AM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Looking for two or three trail partners for Glacier National Park (USA)/Canadian Rockies in August.

i'll be up there second half of June for ten days

Apr 05, 2013 at 02:32 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Looking for two or three trail partners for Glacier National Park (USA)/Canadian Rockies in August.

I'd love to go. Financial limitations suck though

Apr 05, 2013 at 03:39 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Looking for two or three trail partners for Glacier National Park (USA)/Canadian Rockies in August.

Feel free to contact me (either here or through my site at http://www.explor8ion.com) if you still need people this summer. I may or may not be around but if I am I'll join ya.

I've been tramping around the Canadian Rockies for over 10 years and am very capable and willing to tramp almost anywhere. I have some great spots too - depending how much work you want to do to get there...

http://verndewit.com/img/s1/v55/p1114016908.jpg

http://verndewit.com/img/s1/v49/p1114017020.jpg

Apr 05, 2013 at 04:51 PM
matthewh133
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Looking for two or three trail partners for Glacier National Park (USA)/Canadian Rockies in August.

I have sent out a couple PMs to respond to those who have expressed interest.

Sneakyracer wrote:
I hiked down from the Granite Park Chalet in Glacier NP at night one time with a few people last july. Did not see any animals but its a scary though to encounter a bear. Its a very real possibility there. There are some areas at the end of avalanche lake that spooked me quite a bit. I went there solo and bolted. Best to go with at least 2 other people IMHO.

Definitely, that's why I'm looking for more. I seem to be getting a lot of interest for the Canadian part but not Glacier National Park in Montana. Not sure why, Glacier is AMAZING! So beautiful. I agree in regards to numbers, I definitely want 3-4 people. On one hike there last year I saw 2 separate bears and a bull moose in a lake. One bear was a sow with 3 cubs. So there's definitely a lot of activity around. This was in the span of only around 4 hours too.

Here's a few shots of the places I'd love to go for sunrise/sunset in Glacier National Park that I can't do without more numbers for safety reasons. Hopefully it will convince others to want to tag along.

THESE ARE NOT MY PHOTOS!

http://500px.com/photo/14097267
http://500px.com/photo/13288061
http://500px.com/photo/22633165
http://500px.com/photo/23211581

Apr 06, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Looking for two or three trail partners for Glacier National Park (USA)/Canadian Rockies in August.

Just double up on the bear mace and go for it!

Apr 06, 2013 at 10:10 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password