Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Guest Teach My High School Photography Class

canerino
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Guest Teach My High School Photography Class

I created the photography program at my school 7 years ago. We built the program around digital using digital rebels and Photoshop. The class is very popular at my school and I usually get a great cross section of students. I try hard to keep things fresh in class. One of the areas I'd like to improve on is bringing in guests to teach mini-workshops.

Thats where you come in! I'd love to have you out to my school and teach a mini workshop to my students. They are very willing to learn and I am open to any ideas you might have. They have the requisite skills to tackle most photo challenges...so they would be in your hands!

If you are in (or will be in) Philadelphia and would like to stop by to pass on your knowledge to high school seniors, let me know! I think it could be fun!

They are a pretty cool group...so cool we did the "Harlem Shake" the other day in class: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABxnizR9SRQ

Also, here is our class portfolio: www.pbase.com/pachs

Feb 15, 2013 at 08:54 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Guest Teach My High School Photography Class

I'd totally be interested in this... but, not sure what I could teach them. Haha.

Feb 15, 2013 at 09:50 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #3 · Guest Teach My High School Photography Class

Harlem Shake is hysterical.

I'm up in Philly several times a year (wife's family), and I'd enjoy popping in.

I think it might be helpful if you post your syllabus or at least what they already know. There are several things I could do a single or two-day classes on, but I have no idea what you've already taught them (or plan to teach them).

Off camera flash basics? Specific multi light setups? Photoshop portrait retouching basics or advanced retouching? What kinds of things would mesh with your curriculum?

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Guest Teach My High School Photography Class

Since they're students, maybe something like teaching them how to use natural light with reflectors (or none at all) so they could take portraits without spending tons on gear.

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:34 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #5 · Guest Teach My High School Photography Class

I'm 40 minutes from Philly and would love to help out if you'd have me. My major in college was Art Ed, so teaching art is in my blood

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:16 AM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Guest Teach My High School Photography Class

Chuck... I offered last year... still on the table.

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:35 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Guest Teach My High School Photography Class

Thanks guys! I'll be PMing you. Often times I come up with ideas and forget I had them!

The challenge of bringing you in is that our class is only 50 minutes long. So maybe we could set up something where you could Skype with them the day before and then come in the next day and do the practical part of your lesson?

Scott, I like your idea. We just did a still life project and we talked about using simple poster board as backdrops.

Ian, we dont use off camera lighting. We are a photography 101 course that utilizes skill based projects (as opposed to subject based) to teach the basics.

Inku, Rich, Morby, I'd love to have you guys down! Try to think about some 'skill' or 'trick' or something that you could teach in 50 minutes. Like I said, maybe a Skype before? With an assignment? I could help you. The students in my class are very capable and willing.

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:47 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Guest Teach My High School Photography Class

"The Sun is Your Friend".

Feb 19, 2013 at 04:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Guest Teach My High School Photography Class

Oh man I wish I could do this!

Feb 19, 2013 at 04:18 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #10 · Guest Teach My High School Photography Class

A few ideas would be...

Lighting lessons...
1. Light is more important than location
2. Shooting in all types of light: harsh mid-day light, shade, overcast, window light, ambient light, flash
3. Quality of Light vs. Quality of Light

Lens selection

Manual Settings - Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO & White Balance (which would probably be boring!)

A critique on Chuck's images. What I would do to make them better

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:42 AM
prescottl

p.1 #11 · Guest Teach My High School Photography Class

Can't make it to Philadelphia; Idaho is a bit too far. I can share some assignment ideas I have developed using old digital rebels. Feel free to take and use anything from my site.

[url=]http://madisonhighschoolphotography.weebly.com[/url]

Feb 20, 2013 at 04:02 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #12 · Guest Teach My High School Photography Class

Visit the camera simulator site and let them try to make the shot:

CameraSim

there is also a DSLR Explainer tab

Feb 20, 2013 at 04:37 AM
klee.007
• •
p.1 #13 · Guest Teach My High School Photography Class

We'll be in the Philly area the last weekend of March Chuck... I don't think we have plans on Friday the 29th. Not sure if that works out for you.

Keith

Feb 20, 2013 at 05:19 PM
TAGfan
• • •
p.1 #14 · Guest Teach My High School Photography Class

I always thought it would be neat to have students pick out one iconic photograph and try to replicate the look and feel of it using what they know/learn about photography and lighting.

Could be one of their favorite shots by their favorite photog or handed out at random by the teacher..landscape, portrait, whatever

Feb 20, 2013 at 08:58 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Guest Teach My High School Photography Class

I will come teach.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:25 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password