Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · *MY* images found on other websites, witout permission!?

buggz2k
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · *MY* images found on other websites, witout permission!?

removed

Edited on Feb 15, 2013 at 04:29 PM · View previous versions

Feb 15, 2013 at 04:10 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · *MY* images found on other websites, witout permission!?

What has this to do with Canon dslr's?

Feb 15, 2013 at 04:27 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #3 · *MY* images found on other websites, witout permission!?

Didn't know where to post.
I guess I am not posting anywhere any more.
I am in a bad mood right now.
"Offense" post removed.
You can now do as you like...

Feb 15, 2013 at 04:29 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · *MY* images found on other websites, witout permission!?

Where were your originals posted?

The least you should do is contact the sites with your images and ask for them to be taken down (or they pay for the use) . If they don't comply then I would think you could start going further, ie their ISP etc .

Feb 15, 2013 at 04:29 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · *MY* images found on other websites, witout permission!?

Suit yourself

Feb 15, 2013 at 04:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

artd
• • •
p.1 #6 · *MY* images found on other websites, witout permission!?

Well, I take a philosophical perspective on this.

The only time I am truly upset is when people take my photos and then blatantly claim them as their own work. Once, I had a guy who took an artistic portrait I had done, boosted the contrast up to +100, and then called it a "painting" he had done and was reselling "giclee prints" of it on ebay. (The image he posted on ebay of this "painting" still had my original camera exif data embedded in the file.) That kind of thing is what I can't stand.

As to the other stuff, people reposting my images on their blogs (not claiming them as their own, just putting it there as a "cool image", doing creative photo manipulations with them without my knowledge or permission...well, that kind of thing just has to be expected these days. It doesn't do much good to get worked up about it because it is impossible to stop it. Sure, I could put big ugly watermarks all over my photos. Some people do and that’s fine. I don't, because I prefer my images to be seen the way I created them to be seen.

So, philosophically speaking: we make photographs to be seen by other people. If nobody sees the photographs, then they don’t serve much purpose. The Internet is a double-edged sword...it lets your photographs be seen by more people than would be possible otherwise. But, you can't control who the audience is or what they do with the images upon seeing them.

For me personally, I find the benefit of wider exposure to offset the unwanted “repurposing” of my images. So I try not to stress out about this issue too much. While I am not pleased that my images get reposted or reused somewhere without my permission, I continue to post images on the Internet because I feel that is still fulfilling the original intent of why I do photography…namely, to have the photographs be seen by other people.

Feb 15, 2013 at 04:45 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · *MY* images found on other websites, witout permission!?

Ed, I understand the unhappiness about your property being "borrowed" without your permission. It has happened to me twice that I know of, in the past couple of years. In both instances the "borrowers" found the pictures using the Google image search, and they had no malicious nor commercial purpose for copying and reposting those on their sites........you see, to many non-photographers, whatever pictures happen to be on the net are free for the taking.

Since I do not like that sorta thing, and fortunately my income, or sense of my own achievement, doesn't depend on other people seeing my pictures, the solution for me has been easy and obvious: avoid posting pictures on the net. On occasion I post shots in limited time duration, or reduce them in size so they can't be copied effectively.

Similar considerations apply to other types of intellectual property, such as photography equipment tests and evaluations done by yourself. Unless you have your own website where number of hits translates into some sorta tangible benefit to you, why post info of that sort to become readily and freely accessible even to those who might derive some financial gain from it, and who are not likely to give you a mere recognition, let alone some other more palpable compensation ?

Remember, amateurs are the ones who work for free.

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:04 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · *MY* images found on other websites, witout permission!?

My photos have been "borrowed" hundreds, maybe thousands of times. However, I realize you never post anything on the internet you want to keep private or has commercial value, so web galleries are basically throwaways, PR or just plain sharing. I just make sure my name and copyright are on it. I'm actually flattered by it as long there is no commercial use. Most of them even credit me. My "Makeup Girl" was posted in my gallery but I've long lost count of the reposting. Here's a sample:

http://loyalkng.com/2010/02/20/makeup-girl-photographed-by-peter-kun-frary-ala-moana-shopping-center-real-life-painting/
http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/frary-s-makeup-girl
http://vi.sualize.us/coda/makeup/

The ones that bug me are on ebay: rip-offs of my gear shots to sell their stuff...

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:59 PM
outlawyer
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · *MY* images found on other websites, witout permission!?

I'm ecstatic when my shots are used as an example of "NEVER Do This!"
Some of us are that desperate.

Feb 15, 2013 at 07:16 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #10 · *MY* images found on other websites, witout permission!?

Yes, basically, once you post it on a public place on the net, it is up for grabs. Or considered this way, by the far majority of the online community.

Of course there are non-public and less-than-public places on the net and you can use those if you want to share with a select group.

I've had a few photos 'go viral' over the years and it's never really bugged me. If I post something online, it's the content itself that matters, not that - that content can be traced back to me.

'Working for free' is fine, provided you are gaining in other ways. There are plenty of ways that the free distribution of the net can be useful, advocacy, advertising, 内外, publicity, etc. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish, "turn a curse into a blessing".

Feb 15, 2013 at 07:18 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password