New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Canon vs Nikon

mfarbman

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon vs Nikon

I have been waiting for Canon to come out with a pro version that competes with the Nikon D800. I have a 1Ds Mark III system and have seen some great images from my friends Nikon D800. I have been considering selling my current system but would hold off if Canon comes up with a new pro version that is as good as the Nikon. Any rumors out there?

Feb 15, 2013 at 09:07 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon vs Nikon

46mp 1D?

In the same boat.

Feb 15, 2013 at 09:32 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon vs Nikon

Nops, nothing yet. In fact it is very quiet currently. Many are waiting for Canon to announce cameras using a sensor similar or better compared to the D800.

Feb 15, 2013 at 09:41 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon vs Nikon

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_1D_Xs.html

Feb 15, 2013 at 09:46 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon vs Nikon

You and others have been able to photograph just fine for years with 1ds MK III, 5d's etc. I would be patient wait for Canon to release a similar camera even if it takes a year or more.

Feb 15, 2013 at 09:54 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon vs Nikon

Stoffer wrote:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_1D_Xs.html

Ha-ha!

I like how the cheesy "S" is Photoshop'ed on there!

I feel similarly, minus the Nikon lust, wanting a higher MP body.

I was shooting the 24 and 45 TS-E yesterday for shifted 3-shot panoramas. Not exactly the same, but the final composite image must be around 45MP. Like having a larger senser with more MP. It's really awesome imaging, and you can certainly tell from normal 1Ds3 21MP files! 45 doesn't seem like too many MP.

This method of composites of still subject is a fantastic work-around we already have. That should help with about half our imaging needs, if you are willing to take the time.

Bruce -- I agree. I'm impressed with the images we can get these days, even from bodies that are five (or more) years old. The 1Ds2 is still kicking it, if you don't mind the primitive feature set and LCD.

So, yes, I want a better sensor, but it doesn't need to match the Nikon/Sony for me to like it.

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:02 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon vs Nikon

Bruce Sawle wrote:
You and others have been able to photograph just fine for years with 1ds MK III, 5d's etc. I would be patient wait for Canon to release a similar camera even if it takes a year or more.

Depending on what is happening. For example, in the near future, if I was taking a trip to Argentina, etc... someplace where I wanted to take the best photos possible, I'd dump my Canon gear like a bad habit for a D800 and some good lenses. Or I'd rent. Either way why miss the opportunity?

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon vs Nikon

retrofocus wrote:
Nops, nothing yet. In fact it is very quiet currently. Many are waiting for Nikon to announce common sense cameras or something with better IQ than the D200.

It might be a long wait.

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:08 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon vs Nikon

No doubt Nikon has the edge in a few areas right now, especially if you need high MP high DR. Unsure how long Canon will milk their current sensor design which seems unchanged since 5d2.

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:15 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon vs Nikon

*duplicate*

Edited on Feb 15, 2013 at 07:33 PM · View previous versions

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon vs Nikon

If they do come up with something like the D800, it's going to be VERY expensive -- likely 2x the price of the D800. They've already painted themselves into a box with the pricing of the 5DIII.

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:38 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon vs Nikon

Rumor conformed Dodge has a new half ton RAM 1500 pickup truck with a v6 diesel engine .

Nothing from Canon on any new APS-C or FF bodies

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon vs Nikon

mfarbman wrote:
I have been waiting for Canon to come out with a pro version that competes with the Nikon D800. I have a 1Ds Mark III system and have seen some great images from my friends Nikon D800. I have been considering selling my current system but would hold off if Canon comes up with a new pro version that is as good as the Nikon. Any rumors out there?

mfarbman wrote:
Serious amature[sic] Have been shooting for 40 years. Have just entered the computerized dark room after years of resistance. Sorry I waited so long. I shoot 35 and medium format and scan my film or transparencies.

Sell everything and get the D800 now. Fickle switchers subsidize steady users.

Or, alternatively, while you wait, master the new medium you've just entered. The 1Ds3 is a fabulous camera. Sure, there are other cameras that beat it in one way or another, but your Canon beats the D800 in some ways. Can you enumerate the ways in which the 1Ds3 make images deficiently compared to your 35mm slide film cameras?

I'll bet your friends "have seen some great images from" your 1Ds3.

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:50 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon vs Nikon

Ben Horne wrote:
If they do come up with something like the D800, it's going to be VERY expensive -- likely 2x the price of the D800. They've already painted themselves into a box with the pricing of the 5DIII.

That is a good point and one that Nikon will probably try to exploit.

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:51 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon vs Nikon

My concern isn't when...but how much will it cost? If they make is a 1-series...then it is out of my comfort range. If they make it a 5D series...then I am in.

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:54 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon vs Nikon

galenapass wrote:
That is a good point and one that Nikon will probably try to exploit.

By slashing their prices even further? Nikon is already citing price erosion as one of the key reasons they missed their most recent financial targets, and they are responding with... you guessed it, more price cuts.

Good for the consumer in the short term, but in the long run Canon may only have to worry about Sony as a serious competitor.

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon vs Nikon

galenapass wrote:
Depending on what is happening. For example, in the near future, if I was taking a trip to Argentina, etc... someplace where I wanted to take the best photos possible, I'd dump my Canon gear like a bad habit for a D800 and some good lenses. Or I'd rent. Either way why miss the opportunity?

I spent 2 weeks in Argentina with my 1ds MK III and was able to capture wonderful images. Check out the Canon winter photography thread. I also have owned a D3x and still own a d800 the DR is real but i still end up bracketing and when its all said and done the extra MP is the only thing i get out of the d800. I love it but i prefer shooting the canon for everyday stuff.

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon vs Nikon

galenapass wrote:

Why would you need another camera for Argentina if you don't need it for the USA or Europe

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon vs Nikon

Bruce Sawle wrote:
I spent 2 weeks in Argentina with my 1ds MK III and was able to capture wonderful images. Check out the Canon winter photography thread. I also have owned a D3x and still own a d800 the DR is real but i still end up bracketing and when its all said and done the extra MP is the only thing i get out of the d800. I love it but i prefer shooting the canon for everyday stuff.

I went to a client's offices recently and without me knowing they had blown about half a dozen of my shots up to about 8 feet across and mounted them on the office walls. These were industrial location shots of very finely detailed stuff in a workshop.

The shots were perfect, you could read every dial and see every bolt-head even up close. I was amazed how well the 1Ds3 files had held up under a severe test like this (I can't post the shots unfortunately due to copyright)

Unless you regularly need very high ISO the 1Ds3 and 5D3 combo will pretty much do anything you will ever need IMO.

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon vs Nikon

There are always rumours out there and there always will be. Use what you have now. Rely on reality, not rumours.

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.