Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Recommendation for Lightroom 4 Training Book

redbarn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Recommendation for Lightroom 4 Training Book

I just upgraded to LR 4 and I think it would be handy getting a book. I am not sure which one to get that would be easy to understand and not too pricey. Any suggestions.

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:25 AM
gabimaster
• • •
p.1 #2 · Recommendation for Lightroom 4 Training Book

YouTube it will be more than enough,at least it was for me !!!!

Feb 15, 2013 at 08:01 AM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #3 · Recommendation for Lightroom 4 Training Book

redbarn wrote:
I just upgraded to LR 4 and I think it would be handy getting a book. I am not sure which one to get that would be easy to understand and not too pricey. Any suggestions.

I've said this several times before but I suppose it needs repeating. In my opinion, for a book on understanding Lightroom you cannot beat the FREE User Guide provided by Adobe: Using Photoshop Lightroom 4
Most LR users don't seem to know this manual exists and Adobe doesn't help by hiding it in obscure links on their websites.

I've used Lightroom since its initial beta release in 2006 and everything I needed to know was in the User Guide. I got it printed and spiral bound at my local Kinko's for about $12 and after reading through the chapter modules two or three times I knew all I needed. Most of the Lightroom books I've read (I have access through Safari Books Online so I see most of them) simply rehash the information available for free in the User Guide.

Additionally, the User Guide is extremely well-written and easy to read, it is published in full color, and unlike books, it is periodically updated to clarify and add information.

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Recommendation for Lightroom 4 Training Book

Straightforward, nerdy, cookbooky how to style: Scott Kelby's books including on LR.
Comprehensive, more encyclopedic but still with practical tips which might complement Kelby, Martin Evening. Choosing one book? Kelby.

Scott

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #5 · Recommendation for Lightroom 4 Training Book

I don't have lightroom, but George Jardine's tutorials are excellent. Try these free ones to see if you would like to buy the series.

http://mulita.com/blog/?page_id=1962

Feb 15, 2013 at 04:07 PM
IndyFab
• • •
p.1 #6 · Recommendation for Lightroom 4 Training Book

Bearmann wrote:
I don't have lightroom, but George Jardine's tutorials are excellent. Try these free ones to see if you would like to buy the series.

http://mulita.com/blog/?page_id=1962

^^^^+++100 George is a LR guru..He worked for Adobe...

Buy both video's one on Library and Develop Module..
They can be bought on Amazon, or at his site.

For books

LIGHTROOM 4 FOR DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPYT BY SCOTT KELBY
LIGHTROOM 4 THE MISSING FAQ'S BY VICTORIA BAMPTON

Feb 15, 2013 at 05:52 PM
jstephens62
• • •
p.1 #7 · Recommendation for Lightroom 4 Training Book

I would recommend the tutorials available for download on the Luminous Landscape website.

Feb 15, 2013 at 05:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

redbarn
• •
p.1 #8 · Recommendation for Lightroom 4 Training Book

James
Thanks for the suggestion I'm going to get it and if I like it, I might do the same putting some spiral bind. I was looking for LR for Dummies. I have the one for LR 2 but as you all know every time there's an upgrade things change.

Gabimaster

Really, can I see on YouTube down to the very specific modules? One of the reasons I'd like to get a book is to get a better handle in how to use the Develop module. I'll try that as well.

I stopped by Barnes & Noble and only saw one LR video but I can't remember the name of the author. But also I heard that Victoria Bampton's book its a very good one specially if you're familiar with LR.

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:25 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Recommendation for Lightroom 4 Training Book

As a FAQ book I found Victoria's book to be one of the best regardless of topic. The questions are neither too restrictive nor too complex, and the solutions are sufficiently to the point but also add enough info that you can learn more without reading a whole chapter.

I also like Martin Evening's book.

Chance are that you are already beyond the Dummies level of books.

Sometimes I much prefer a good book to anything on-screen but a pdf copy is searchable and that can help a lot. Videos can go too fast or too slow for me and then lose my attention, but the right one on the right day can be very good.

Nobody seems to do a great description of noise reduction or sharpening. Well, they describe it but their techniques are not all that great. Some things you learn better here at FM.

- Alan

Feb 15, 2013 at 09:19 PM
redbarn
• •
p.1 #10 · Recommendation for Lightroom 4 Training Book

Even though they say that guys are more visual oriented. I tend to prefer books because I can go back and highlight a section that its important etc. Whereas a video it takes too much effort to play it back.

Yes. I think you're right I am above entry level. However, I'm still interested in finding a book not authored by Adobe since their books usually are not as easy to follow (at least for me).

Feb 16, 2013 at 04:31 AM
redbarn
• •
p.1 #11 · Recommendation for Lightroom 4 Training Book

James,

Did you printed the User's Guide in color or B & W. How the pictures came out in either way. Can you see the details

Feb 16, 2013 at 05:23 AM
didenko

p.1 #12 · Recommendation for Lightroom 4 Training Book

LR4 Unmasked from Craft & Vision

Also, all Du Chemin's books.

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:09 AM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #13 · Recommendation for Lightroom 4 Training Book

I printed it in B&W on 8x11" paper and all the details were visible. I was more interested in the info contained in the text so color wasn't a big deal since I had my own test catalogs to examine on a large monitor.

redbarn wrote:
James,

Did you printed the User's Guide in color or B & W. How the pictures came out in either way. Can you see the details

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:12 AM
redbarn
• •
p.1 #14 · Recommendation for Lightroom 4 Training Book

Thanks

I will do the same but put in a 3 ring binder

Feb 20, 2013 at 07:53 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password