New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Suggestion for a portable memory card storage

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Suggestion for a portable memory card storage

Thanks Rodney maybe I click more than you. I'm in Thailand and S.E.Asia now. And I have 1,5 TB in CF cards here

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:06 AM
redbarn
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Suggestion for a portable memory card storage

Allright guys..... this is what I have done . I have analyzed all the great input that I got from all of you. As a result, I have decided to buy extra cards instead of buying a stand alone back up. The device that Rodney mentioned is one of the high-ends listed on B and H's catalog which I have a hard copy.

I don't think that I'd ever buy a card above 8GB for the simple reason that I'd like to play it safe and not too put all of my eggs (or shots) in one basket. Trust me s****t happens and then you are SOL if something goes wrong with a 32GB card imagine all the great shots.

I paid $14/8GB CF cards last year. I just bought some SD cards 8GB granted not the fastest but heck as extra ones it won't hurt me. I also bought Ultra 8 220x for only 9.99. Now, I'm monitoring to see what I could get some extra CF cards.

I was cleaning my HD and just found a purchased I made way back, which I had forgotten. I bought a gadget called Image Bank it never worked and I never used it , it ended up at the Goodwill.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:26 PM
tuantran
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Suggestion for a portable memory card storage

the difference in price between 4, 8 and 16GB is neglible in my opinion. What the 16GB offer you is the extra cushion when needed. No one is forcing you to shoot the full 16GB. If you want to spread the risk, use another card at certain intervals like 200 shots per card. You don't want to miss a shot because you happened to fill your card.

Feb 18, 2013 at 05:20 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Suggestion for a portable memory card storage

redbarn wrote:
Allright guys..... this is what I have done . I have analyzed all the great input that I got from all of you. As a result, I have decided to buy extra cards instead of buying a stand alone back up. The device that Rodney mentioned is one of the high-ends listed on B and H's catalog which I have a hard copy.

I don't think that I'd ever buy a card above 8GB for the simple reason that I'd like to play it safe and not too put all of my eggs (or shots) in one basket. Trust me s****t
...Show more

Why don't you make backup in your camera. And write the pics on both the CF and SD card. Then you don't have to worry about broken cards

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:54 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Suggestion for a portable memory card storage

No, just wait for the buffer to clear sloooowly.

EBH

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Suggestion for a portable memory card storage

EB-1 wrote:
No, just wait for the buffer to clear sloooowly.

EBH

And you belive he need very fast cards because when he is doing travel photography he is shooting so long bursts that he fill up the buffer. And it need to be that fast that he can't even write the pics to both cards
And you also belive it's faster to take out the card and copy it to a Hyperdrive or Nexto like you suggested How long time does he have to wait then......................

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:14 AM
redbarn
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Suggestion for a portable memory card storage

Let me say that usually I travel for about 3 weeks or so and I tried to make my destinations very important to me. I just returned from Iceland (weather was not the best for shooting but I managed even to shoot the Northern Lights. On my trip to Africa I didn't see carrying any type of back up workflow.
I was camping during the 2 weeks safari so that was not an option. On the other hand, when I travel to less dramatic destinations then I carry less CF cards if I was taking my SLR.

But I have to be very honest, for the past few years I'm relying more and more on small point and shoot that shoots RAW. I either take the G9 or the new Lumix 5. They are very convenient sp when going to developing countries they don't know any better that they are high-end cameras.

Also, I wanted to clarify that I'm not borrowing or lending cards from anyone. I don't think I'd like to take that responsibility.

In reference to a suggestion that someone made about using a larger CF cards and not having to fill it all. I don't think that I'd like to add another tracking thing in my mind when traveling, and besides who would have that type of control to take out the card when the card is half full.

For my trip in April, I was going to take the Lumix 5 but since I'll be going to shoot some architecture stuff I am thinking taking my SLR and the Lumix 5 will be for walking around. I used the SLR in Africa only to shoot during the Safaris, but as soon as I was done with it I used my Lumix.

Since I don't shoot sports, and I'm not a happy trigger guy I don't think the card speed its a big issue for me. However, I do like to take extra cards in order to be safe.

The other suggestion made about transferring the images from the CF cards to a memory stick, that's not an option. "I'm not carrying a notebook period".

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:05 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.