Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

Archive 2013 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

Sal Baker
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

morganb4 wrote:
Thats an interesting point actually and its seen not just here but all over the place - in an effort to keep prices down, service and warranty suffers but we don't see that when we pull out the wallet. Instead we just bitch about crap service when a clearly defective item will not be swapped by the shop any more and most be sent straight back to the manufacturer. Shops don't take responsibility for the goods they sell any more because our 'best quality at lowest price' mentality forces them not to.

10 years ago if I bought a camera from
...Show more

The iPad I mention above didn't have AppleCare and it cost $150 more than the competing tablets with the same memory/specs. Apple replaced it for free with a new one even though it was out of warranty, and dropping isn't covered anyway. I did get a free lunch on that and a couple of other times.

Sure it's a marketing ploy, and it works. Apple is number one in customer satisfaction again this year for a reason. But in the end, they're just tools, use whatever works.

Sal

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:15 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

Sal Baker wrote:

I did get a free lunch on that and a couple of other times.

It wasn't exactly "free" ... I (and many others) paid for it in advance ... you're welcome.

Sure it's a marketing ploy, and it works.
I'll be kinder to Apple, and say it is their "business model" ... and it works for their coffers (and stock price).
But that alone won't make a Mac outperform a Workstation.

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Sal Baker
• •
p.4 #3 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

RustyBug wrote:

It wasn't exactly "free" ... I (and many others) paid for it in advance ... you're welcome.

I'll be kinder to Apple, and say it is their "business model" ... and it works for their coffers (and stock price).
But that alone won't make a Mac outperform a Workstation.

No need to be kind, Apple came back from near extinction to having big coffers and high stock prices--all built on successful products. Nothin' wrong with that business model.

Macs and PCs all perform well, this conversation is so 15 years ago.

Sal

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:19 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.4 #4 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

Sal Baker wrote:
Macs and PCs all perform well, this conversation is so 15 years ago.

So the short answer to the OP's question would be that there is no compelling performance gain to be made by changing platform ... no matter how much "Mac Love" people try to throw at it, "Mac Love" won't make it run faster.

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:22 AM
mshi
• • • •
p.4 #5 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

There was a time using Apple made a person look trendy. But, now things are opposite, using Apple products make you look like one of the sheeple, or brainless serfs in the consumerdom. Back to the topic, Windows performs much better for visual artists because only Windows support 10-bit color display output.

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:34 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

CreativeStudio wrote:
These things help incrementally, then it gets lackluster again.

Do you have Optimus enabled in your bios?

Disabling Optimus in the bios provided a marked improvement for my Dell Precision Workstation when I had it. Initially, it seemed to under perform the specs ... this was due to Optimus trying to throttle things back on the video side of things. IIRC, Optimus is enabled by default, so you might want to check to make sure you aren't unnecessarily choking things at the video card by having Optimus enabled.

Feb 22, 2013 at 02:41 PM
CreativeStudio
• •
p.4 #7 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

Well, lots of ideas here!

I am purchasing a used Mac Pro 4,1 and will probably at some point increase the RAM to 32 GM and install a solid state boot drive from OWC. I realize it may be only an incremental upgrade, we will see how the performance compares. I will use my 24" Dell Ultrasharp U2410 display with it.

Think this will work?

Gerald

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:23 PM
Sal Baker
• •
p.4 #8 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

RustyBug wrote:
So the short answer to the OP's question would be that there is no compelling performance gain to be made by changing platform ... no matter how much "Mac Love" people try to throw at it, "Mac Love" won't make it run faster.

Exactly. At any given time both platforms can be configured to run as well as the other. I switched to Mac because I like the OS and the design of the hardware. It's sad that people insist on stereotyping others based on their choice of computer ("they want to be trendy" "throwing Mac Love at it" etc.) Why care so much? These are just computers be happy with what you like and please stop bashing others just because you don't like Apple.

Sal

Feb 22, 2013 at 05:29 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.4 #9 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

I don't think I've ever bashed anyone here ... or at least have tried not to ... good FM'ers don't bash.

I have several Apple products in my family (and will likely buy more) and have given praise to Apple for them in this thread and elsewhere. The OP asked an objective question regarding improved performance that a platform change to Mac would generate. This is an objective question, yet many people respond with non-performance information about why they think Mac is better.

The only thing I've tried to do is find out if there is a compelling objective performance gain to be had by switching to Mac. My reference to "Mac Love" is simply that having a preference for an OS, or design, or the customer service (all things that Mac owner's legitimately tend to love) isn't an objective answer to the OP dialogue @ performance gains by a platform change ... thus it isn't directly pertinent to the OP question.

It's kinda like asking if a Honda goes faster than a Toyota and people responding that statistically more women buy Honda's because of Honda's reputation for reliability. While it may be valid information ... it bypasses and does not address the question that was originally asked. Whether or not a person loves a Honda for it's reliability, or has an appreciation for the interference/non-interference engine design variation between Honda vs. Toyota, or because Honda uses prettier colors or better ergonomics ... it still is not an answer to the question of does a Honda go faster than a Toyota. In other words, all the "Honda Love" in the world being offered as to why people like Honda ... it still does NOT answer the question of does a Honda go faster than a Toyota. IF the question was why do you like your Honda better than a Toyota, then "Honda Love" IS directly pertinent in all its forms, but that wasn't the question being asked.

The same goes for "Mac Love" not answering the question of whether a Mac is faster than a PC ... I only was pointing out that "Mac Love" (no malice) avoids answering the OP application performance question. A response that they have equal performance ... that DOES address the OP question @ performance, and I was appreciative of a response that actually related to the OP regarding performance, rather than the other reasons ("Mac Love") a person might like Mac.

I'm sorry if you misunderstood my plight at trying to differentiate between performance issues vs. non-performance issues (summed up as "Mac Love"), in my own desire to better understand why I may / may not want to consider a Mac as there is a positive growing Apple base in my realm. If it were not for the fact that it would be so costly to make a platform change, I might consider it more. But if there is no performance gain to be achieved from such a costly change, it is a tough pill to swallow. Change always costs, and I simply aspire to understand what the gains will be relative to the costs incurred.

Again ... no bashing ... it is not what good FM'ers do. Trying to wade through the emotional diversions associated with non-performance matters that were raised as a response to a performance question, to aspire for objective information ... that is a different matter.

Again, apologies if you misunderstood.

Edited on Feb 22, 2013 at 06:36 PM · View previous versions

Feb 22, 2013 at 06:05 PM
Sal Baker
• •
p.4 #10 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

I don't see where I misunderstood anything. With all due respect, you're the one who took this thread OT with a rant about Apple customer service and your daughter"s dead Mac. You then went into a rant about "Apple Love" and further OT about Apple iPads. What did any of that have to do with how well Lightroom runs on Macs and PCs? The OP specifically asked for replies from those who have switched from Windows to Macs. From what I have read so far, you don't have or like Macs so how does that help the OP?

I did switch to Mac and shared my opinion above. If you missed it, and the many other similar responses here it is again. Macs and PCs can be configured to run as well as each other. I switched because I like Mac OS better and I like the hardware design. I don't "love" any company, but I do like my Macs very much because of the above and the reliability I have had over the years. YMMV.

Cheers.

Sal

Feb 22, 2013 at 06:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.4 #11 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

Okay ... upon review, I see how you could perceive that. I was just trying to give some background info (i.e. never intended as a rant).

I didn't mean for it to go down a rabbit hole ... my bad.

Feb 22, 2013 at 06:46 PM
Sal Baker
• •
p.4 #12 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

RustyBug wrote:
Okay ... upon review, I see how you could perceive that. I was just trying to give some background info (i.e. never intended as a rant).

I didn't mean for it to go down a rabbit hole ... my bad.

Well, when I saw this thread title I sensed that this old rabbit hole might be ahead...and then I jumped into the hole feet first. Sorry about that.

Sal

Feb 22, 2013 at 07:04 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.4 #13 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

No Worries ... I think we're mostly on the same page here in the end.

Feb 22, 2013 at 07:42 PM
CreativeStudio
• •
p.4 #14 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

I'm posting this from my recently acquired Mac Pro 4,1. Quad core 2.93, 6 GB Ram. ATI video card - 512 MB.

Which upgrade will get me up to speed fastest for photo editing?

1. SSD Boot Drive
2. Memory Upgrade
3. Later Model/Better Video Card

What would you do first?

Gerald

Feb 26, 2013 at 02:19 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

2 then 1

3 is a non issue

Feb 26, 2013 at 05:27 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.4 #16 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

morganb4 wrote:
2 then 1

3 is a non issue

+1

Feb 26, 2013 at 05:36 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.4 #17 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

morganb4 wrote:
2 then 1

3 is a non issue

Yup, thats a +1 from me too

Feb 26, 2013 at 06:45 AM
CreativeStudio
• •
p.4 #18 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

One thing I'm noticing, playing with Mac for the first time, it seems that fonts do not render as smoothly on my display - font smoothing is turned on in preferences, display zoom at 100%. Is this just a part of the Mac OS experience, or does my video card driver need updated, etc? Is there any difference between Lion (which this machine has) and Mountain Lion?

Gerald

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:56 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.4 #19 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

Don't display zoom at 100%.

Feb 28, 2013 at 06:00 AM
CreativeStudio
• •
p.4 #20 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

What I mean is, there is no zoom factor applied. PDF's, etc, that would display clearly from my low-end windows 7 PC seem harder to read - small text does not display as well. Are there any improvements to this in Mountain Lion OS? Or am I missing something else?

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:41 PM
1       2       3      
       5       6       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password