Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Pany 7-14mm versus Sony 10-18mm

HansenTsang
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Pany 7-14mm versus Sony 10-18mm

Ok this may not be totally an alt lens question but I don't know where to post this.

Cameras in question:
Panasonic GH2, GX1
Sony NEX 5, 5N and 5R.

Lens acquired:
Voigtlander 15mm f3.5
Voigtlander 12mm f5.6
Sony 16 f2.8 pancake
Panasonic 14mm f2.8 pancake
Olympus 9-18mm f3.5 (this is what qualified the alt lens use )
Sigma 19mm f2.8
SamYang 14mm f2.8
Olympus, Pentax, Nikon, Canon FD and other Voigtlander lenses but nothing wider than 20mm
Kit lenses from both make and enough adapters to use different lenses on both cameras.

So I am looking for another super wide lens that gives me good image quality. I want to use it on these camera bodies because of the weight issue. I take these cameras up in the air with my radio controller helicopters.

The lenses I am looking at are the Panasonic 7 to 14mm or the Sony 10 to 18mm.

They are both around the same cost. The Sonys have a 3 shots exposure bracketing feature for HDR work and the dial is really a pain to change shutter speed. The Panasonics have a full 7 shots exposure bracketing feature that is really nice. I do a lot of architectural shoots and HDR and a wide angle lens is a very convenient feature for me.

So the question is which lens in their perspective camera bodies will yield a slightly better image quality at the same aperture?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Feb 14, 2013 at 08:51 PM
mawz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Pany 7-14mm versus Sony 10-18mm

You likely won't see a huge difference from the already rather good Oly 9-18, which is comparable in performance to the Sony 10-18. The 7-14 is better than either of those, but it's not a huge upgrade. So my answer is to stick with the 9-18 you already have. If you need better IQ it's likely to be found elsewhere in the equation.

Feb 15, 2013 at 03:21 AM
RobCD
• •
p.1 #3 · Pany 7-14mm versus Sony 10-18mm

I think you will be happy with either in terms of image quality - I'm really happy with the Sony 10-18. The 7-14 is also a great lens but it wouldn't work for me because it doesn't take filters (and because I no longer have an m4/3 camera ).

Feb 15, 2013 at 05:27 AM
tedbare
• •
p.1 #4 · Pany 7-14mm versus Sony 10-18mm

I have both the GH2 w/ the 7-14 and the NEX-6 w/ the 10-18. IQ on both is fantastic.

W/ regard to the r/c helicopter the NEX system would appear to have the weight advantage.

GH2 wins hands down on the bracketing. HOWEVER... I shot an HDR with the NEX-6 yesterday and it really wasn't a big deal to change the shutter speed for a five shot bracket. Sure would be nice to "automate" it though. I'm not familiar with the NEX-5 controls, however.

I'm transitioning to the NEX, so you already know my bias. But if the NEX-6 isn't an option for you, and the 5's controls are too much of a pain for bracketing HDRs, the 7-14 is probably your best bet.

Feb 15, 2013 at 07:15 AM
HansenTsang
• • •
p.1 #5 · Pany 7-14mm versus Sony 10-18mm

Thanks for all your thoughts. I love hearing about those personal experiences. It is helping me getting some ideas in my mind.

FWIW, I just ordered the Sony 10 to 18mm. Since I already have the Olympus 9 to 18mm for the Micro 4/3's I don't have to get the 7 to 14mm since it really over lap a little. The real deciding factor is that the Pany 7 to 14mm just jumped an additional $100 at B & H. The new stock is like $950.

Feb 15, 2013 at 08:06 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password