Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · What version Intuos Tablet on a Budget?

aaronbor
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What version Intuos Tablet on a Budget?

Hello everyone,

I plan to buy my first table for editing photography in Lightroom 4 and Photoshop CS5. I don’t do high volume of very detail edits, but I would like to buy a tablet for basic editing as well as learning and experimenting. Therefore, I would like to get something that will be very usable, while keeping my expense to a reasonable minimum.
I have seen new Intuos4 small for about $130-140, Used for about $100-110. Intuos3 for 65-80.
My questions:
Should I be considering the older generation tablets Intuos3 and 4?
IS it worth it to spend the additional $$ for the latest?
Will the small size be adequate for learning and doing basic edits (and some detail edits) on my 24” monitor?
I would appreciate all of your input and advice. Thanks.

Feb 14, 2013 at 09:25 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What version Intuos Tablet on a Budget?

Small is too small. Previous generation is fine. Be careful if buying used that the tablet hasn't been heavily used. You might also consider the Bamboo Create for $160 new: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/823345-REG/Wacom_CTH670_Bamboo_Create_Digital_Tablet.html

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What version Intuos Tablet on a Budget?

the 'small is too small' idea is very personal. In reality, photo retouching is all about fine finger/wrist action vs. drawing which is more arm/elbow.

You can find any number of previous threads regarding the pros/cons of small vs. medium. Personally, for me, the small is quite fine and the medium is simply too big.

Feb 14, 2013 at 01:06 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What version Intuos Tablet on a Budget?

Intuous 3 new in the box

I just bought one, it's as advertised. A small tablet is plenty big enough for me.

Feb 14, 2013 at 01:10 PM
aaronbor
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What version Intuos Tablet on a Budget?

Thanks for the responses.

Mr Joe. I will do some research on the Bamboo. I was told that the one to get was Intuos, but I will do a comparison.

Howard, I fond some of the small versus medium chats. I was more interested in knowing if older versions versus newer vesion. Specially the Intuos4 versus the Intuos 3. ( I would buy the Intuos5 but it's a lot more money)

HO1972, Thanks for the link. that looks like a good buy.

Feb 14, 2013 at 02:46 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What version Intuos Tablet on a Budget?

For reference, I believe the older Bamboo series was 512 levels of touch sensitivity instead of 1024.

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:29 PM
gregSC
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What version Intuos Tablet on a Budget?

Small is perfect size. Get the intuos over the bamboo. Search for a new 4, very affordable and little true difference to the 5.

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:52 PM
aaronbor
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What version Intuos Tablet on a Budget?

Thanks for all your input. I decided to go with the Intuos 4 samll. I found it new in amazon for $130.
I also see that they sell protective covers for the drawing surface. Should I get one? or is it better not to cover it?

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:56 AM
gregSC
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What version Intuos Tablet on a Budget?

Mine is fine with out the cover. Great deal you found, you will be happy.

Greg

Feb 22, 2013 at 06:09 AM
Jingobooks
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What version Intuos Tablet on a Budget?

Yeah.. I agree with the others.. the sensitivity with the intuos is better... I purchase a used 3 medium for $75 a few weeks ago and love it... good stuff!

Feb 23, 2013 at 01:08 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.