Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · NYC skyline locations? Also tripods allowed?

allstarimaging
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NYC skyline locations? Also tripods allowed?

Hello,
I'll being staying overnight in New York this weekend and I'm trying to plan some shooting. Looking for some ideas on where to shoot the NYC skyline from both at first light and at night. Also I'm assuming tripods are not allowed at locations like Grand Central and Times Square. Gear will be Nikon D800, 14-24, 35 1.4
Thank you for your insights
Jack

Feb 14, 2013 at 05:57 AM
nburwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NYC skyline locations? Also tripods allowed?

The "top of the rock" has some gorgeous views of the city at sunset. However, since it's so crowded up there with tourists, tripod aren't permitted. You may be able to get away with a monopod if you have one though (as I heard from fellow photog's who did this). However, if you're shooting with your 35mm, you could get away with HH it at a reasonable ISO since the NYC skyline is so bright.

-Nick

Feb 14, 2013 at 09:42 AM
ImNOTpermanent

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NYC skyline locations? Also tripods allowed?

over the brooklyn bridge in brooklyn at either brooklyn bridge park or the brooklyn promenade in brooklyn heights are great places to get an east to west view of lower manhattan and the bridges. it's ground level though. good luck.

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:09 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NYC skyline locations? Also tripods allowed?

A second vote for BB Park. It's a popular locale, but really is one of the best and very photographer-friendly. Very safe and parking at night isn't hard to find. If you venture out westward from the park, you'll find some crown jewel locations in front of the pilings...

On the Jersey side, you're looking in the Hoboken vicinity. Venture along Frank Sinatra Blvd on the Jersey side and there are some decent locations there too of midtown, uptown, and downtown vantage points.

Have fun

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:31 AM
allstarimaging
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NYC skyline locations? Also tripods allowed?

Thank you to all for the advice..Looks like the Brooklyn Bridge Park is going to be my best option. Look forward to giving it a try.

Jack

Feb 15, 2013 at 02:34 PM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · NYC skyline locations? Also tripods allowed?

The Empire State Building is not friendly to photography gear. They will give you a hard time if you are carrying a monopod even if you're not going to use it. I've never had a problem with Top of the Rock.

A good location is outside of the Exchange Place PATH station in NJ. Walk out to the end of the hotel pier.

Feb 15, 2013 at 03:07 PM
mhilbush
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · NYC skyline locations? Also tripods allowed?

The NJ side of the Hudson provides some great pre-dawn and post-sunset opportunities to capture the NY skyline. Not sure how early the Weehawken ferry starts, but if you can get to Weehawken, Hamilton Park is a great location to shoot from. Here are a couple examples.

Pre-dawn

After sunset

Mark

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Chris Noyes
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · NYC skyline locations? Also tripods allowed?

A small tripod like my Benro A-056N6 (which is no longer made) would be very handy to use at The Top of Rock

This was my result . . .

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:40 PM
MMauro72
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · NYC skyline locations? Also tripods allowed?

Lets see what you got!

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:45 PM
Allynb
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · NYC skyline locations? Also tripods allowed?

This link to NYC photo law may help answer your questions.

http://everydayaperture.com/law/

Allan

Feb 20, 2013 at 08:31 PM
Giancarlo D

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · NYC skyline locations? Also tripods allowed?

I've had success on the Jersey side. Specifically at the Chart House restuarant in Weehawken. They are at the end of a pier and the public is allowed to walk out. Good shots of midtown and no tourists.

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:02 PM
rffffffff
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · NYC skyline locations? Also tripods allowed?

The brooklyn promenade may be easier to get to and if offers good views... I didnt have a tripod, but I could've used it easily at night without anyone saying anything... I had to sit my bare hand on a metal railing while freezing through a 30 second exposure and run like hell to keep from freezing.. I am going to reshoot this, because its kinda crap, but It'll give you an idea of shooting from brooklyn with the 14-24.

http://robgulotta.com/purple_newyork.jpg

Feb 27, 2013 at 02:22 PM
Shane Psaltis
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · NYC skyline locations? Also tripods allowed?

Jack,

A great spot like already mentioned to start is the Brooklyn Bridge Park, that will be all the way to your right on the rocks right under the Manhattan Bridge. after that you can make your way to the promenade and boardwalk, and if you keep going to the left and around you will have a awesome view of the pier with the pillings in your foreground.

From Brooklyn Bridge Park:

http://nightscapes.com/FM/SAP_0083.jpg

From the Boardwalk:

http://nightscapes.com/FM/SAP_0017.jpg

From the Pier

http://nightscapes.com/FM/Wide-Pier-Pilings.jpg

And you can use your tripod where ever you like no restrictions. My personal favorite tripod is:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O&sku=822137&Q&is=REG&A=details

Hope this info Helps

Shane

www.Nightscapes.com

Feb 27, 2013 at 07:31 PM
Shane Psaltis
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · NYC skyline locations? Also tripods allowed?

mhilbush wrote:
The NJ side of the Hudson provides some great pre-dawn and post-sunset opportunities to capture the NY skyline. Not sure how early the Weehawken ferry starts, but if you can get to Weehawken, Hamilton Park is a great location to shoot from. Here are a couple examples.

Mark

Mark awesome photos, thats my next spot the Jersey side

Shane

Feb 27, 2013 at 07:35 PM
mhilbush
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · NYC skyline locations? Also tripods allowed?

Thanks, Shane.

Loving your images from Brooklyn Bridge Park. So many different spots to shoot from... I really need to get over that way.

Mark

Mar 03, 2013 at 08:21 AM
Shane Psaltis
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · NYC skyline locations? Also tripods allowed?

Thanks Mark,

It's a great place to go, good luck and be sure to post.

Shane

Mar 03, 2013 at 11:58 AM
fizzz

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · NYC skyline locations? Also tripods allowed?

Hi everyone...I am new to the site (but not new to photography ) and will be in NYC next week for one week. I plan on going to the Brooklyn Bridge Park, specifically to Pier 1 and also Promenade during sunset time for shots of the Manhattan Skyline. I will be accompanied by my wife and 2 year old son. I am worried however because I've read online that you will need a permit to use a tripod else the park rangers will send you packing.

My source for this information can be found HERE and also HERE. Even the official BBP website has an E-form for getting a permit to do photography, but unfortunately, this costs USD 25!

Have any of you been there recently and can you confirm whether using a tripod will be ok without a permit? Btw...I am in no way a professional, just a serious amateur. Thanks upfront for reading this!

Apr 27, 2013 at 04:11 AM
Shane Psaltis
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · NYC skyline locations? Also tripods allowed?

I have been going there for the past 10 years and no one has ever said anything, I do not believe there is such a permit, you will be fine. If they say anything just say you are taking photos. Like I said I have been there a hundred times with no issues.

GOOD LUCK

Shane

Apr 27, 2013 at 08:09 AM
fizzz

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · NYC skyline locations? Also tripods allowed?

Shane, thanks for your reply.

It's encouraging to read your response. I am really looking forward to making the best of my trip and I've planned every little detail out. Hopefully, once I come back, I should have some pics that are half as good as the one's you guys have posted here!

BTW....your images are AMAZING! Very inspiring...thanks!

Apr 27, 2013 at 09:29 AM
Shane Psaltis
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · NYC skyline locations? Also tripods allowed?

fi wrote:
Shane, thanks for your reply.

It's encouraging to read your response. I am really looking forward to making the best of my trip and I've planned every little detail out. Hopefully, once I come back, I should have some pics that are half as good as the one's you guys have posted here!

BTW....your images are AMAZING! Very inspiring...thanks!

I hope you have a great time, can't wait to see what you get. Enjoy!!! And thanks for the kind words.

Shane

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.