Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Beginning landscape photographer...what's a must have in ...

beccaquint

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Beginning landscape photographer...what's a must have in my bag?

I'm going to be traveling for an extended time and am hoping to hone my landscape shooting skills along the way...what are your must-have items for landscape shooting? I already have a 14mm, a Gitzo tripod and a cable release in my bag and would love to learn a bit more about filters and landscape post-processing techniques if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:23 AM
BFTphoto

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Beginning landscape photographer...what's a must have in my bag?

I hope 14mm isn't your only lens, wide angle is nice but its also a good idea to have a standard and long lens for more intimate landscapes. A circular polarizer is nice to have. GND's are nice for certain scenes as well.

Feb 14, 2013 at 01:09 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Beginning landscape photographer...what's a must have in my bag?

well as you are also in PDX, you have access to world class areas to practice! Research and practice is probably the best advice.

Feb 14, 2013 at 01:26 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Beginning landscape photographer...what's a must have in my bag?

I am thinking that you are asking a lot in one thread. There is no shortcut where you can learn about filters and post processing in one thread. Post processing alone will be a skill that will take you years to get down...

Ben gave some good advice, you certainly need more than a 14mm lens.

In general, you will need a 17-35mm, a 24-120mm and a 70-200mm. Or in that range. As Ben mentioned, you will want a polarizer for each lens, and beyond that, since you are a beginner, that's all I would suggest.

For post processing, again, since you are a beginner, I would really suggest just getting the latest Photoshop Elements. You can pick that up for around $80 at Costco or Sams Club. Stay simple to start, don't try to do too much at once.

Now with the gear, Dustin gave you the very best advice... get out there and shoot... You live in an area that is full of Landscape opportunities. Don't wait to go on this extended trip to try and learn Landscape Photography, learn it now, which I am hoping you have been trying.

Okay, so my addition, rather then try to tell you how to blend with Layer Masks, or what settings to set your camera on. I am simply going to suggest that you do as Dustin suggested, get out and shoot, and then start posting your shots here. The best way for us to know how to help you is for you to post some of your shots (4 photos max per thread) and then let others comment, and you learn from that... OJT is the best kind of training...

Jim

Feb 14, 2013 at 01:49 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Beginning landscape photographer...what's a must have in my bag?

When beginning landscape photography, my philosophy is that less is more. Forget about all the fancy lens and filters. Learn all about composition...that is the most important aspect of landscapes. I see greatly exposed images that are tack sharp under fabulous light...but fail because the composition sucks...no idea what the photographer was trying to say with the image.

Once you get your compositions down and truly understand the story you are trying to tell with each shot, you can start to learn about light and how to manipulate it to help tell your story. Different lens come into play as each focal length has on affect on the image, which ultimately affects your story you are trying to tell.

But without that story, all the rest of the wizbang equipment is just that, expensive equipment.

Feb 14, 2013 at 02:47 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Beginning landscape photographer...what's a must have in my bag?

I dont know how begining you are. I also assume you are shooting with a full frame. my lens of choice would be a midrange zoom. on canon a 24-105 is great, unless you want to shoot nightscape and need a fast prime.
a cp filter is useful on a midrange zoom. not so much on and ultrawide.
I would not worry so much about other filters. if you are shooting a nikon full frame (d600 or d800) you honestly should have enough dynamic range to pull off most landscape.
and shoot a lot.

Feb 14, 2013 at 03:02 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Beginning landscape photographer...what's a must have in my bag?

Wide/normal zoom, get out when the light is good, think about your compositions ( stick to some of the 'rules' unless you know why not, make suer there is foreground interest etc).

Feb 14, 2013 at 03:04 AM
Aaron Macomber
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Beginning landscape photographer...what's a must have in my bag?

Kneepads you want. Closer to the ground you will be. More interesting foregrounds you will find.

Feb 14, 2013 at 03:24 AM
Greg Campbell
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Beginning landscape photographer...what's a must have in my bag?

Forget the equipment. Gear gets all the press only because it's something that can be $old.

IMO, to make a decent landscape shot, you must have....

A compelling subject.

Good light. (Which often requires some foresight and planning.)

Patience and a willingness to take your time when shooting. If you haven't spent several minutes looking through the viewfinder, you probably haven't composed the image as well as you could have.

An understanding of the camera's basic functions and how they affects the final image.
Ted Forbes has a superb video series that covers a great deal of material.
http://www.youtube.com/user/theartofphotography/videos?flow=list&sort=da&view=0

Experience.
As suggested, "Just go shoot!"

If you're looking for a powerful and free post processing program, try GIMP or the now free Photochop CS2.
http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

As mentioned, a graduated ND filter can be handy. Beyond that, PP can emulate almost any filter effect.

Feb 14, 2013 at 04:02 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Beginning landscape photographer...what's a must have in my bag?

Don't get caught up with gear. Instead, focus on your vision as a photographer. Study the work of great photographers from the past and present.

Feb 14, 2013 at 04:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Beginning landscape photographer...what's a must have in my bag?

Certainly the OP shouldn't get caught up in gear, but having a couple of more lenses then a 14mm is not getting caught up in gear... neither is having a polarizer... While I love my 14mm, I don't only shoot with it. So for whatever camera this person has, having a couple of zoom lenses to cover more then just 14mm is very important. As a beginner, they are going to want to experiment and play around too... only so much playing around one is going to do with a 14mm...

Jim

Feb 14, 2013 at 05:28 AM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Beginning landscape photographer...what's a must have in my bag?

If the sun is out, stay home. Or wait for sunset, sunrise is just too early in the morning.
Just go take some pictures, be your own worst critic, enjoy the journey.

Feb 14, 2013 at 08:20 AM
JameelH
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Beginning landscape photographer...what's a must have in my bag?

Tim Knutson wrote:
If the sun is out, stay home. Or wait for sunset, sunrise is just too early in the morning.
Just go take some pictures, be your own worst critic, enjoy the journey.

I think you meant to say sunrise is too late in the morning. Get out there before sunrise and capture soft delicious light.

Feb 14, 2013 at 08:04 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Beginning landscape photographer...what's a must have in my bag?

Having the right gear can make a difference between an average pic and a great photo.

I dont use a polariser all that often but when I do its a life saver.

Feb 14, 2013 at 08:15 PM
beccaquint

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Beginning landscape photographer...what's a must have in my bag?

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice so far. Guess I should clarify.

I'm a beginning landscape photographer, but by no means a beginning photographer. I have a B.S. in photography (photojournalism). I have also spent the last three years doing post-production for wedding photographers, so I'm no stranger to that, but most of the landscape shots I have seen and loved involve far heavier post.

That said, I know landscape is a very different animal. I don't currently use filters (other than UV filters) but know they are fairly common in landscape shooting.

I'm shooting on a Canon 5D III, and I do own other lenses (14, 24, 85, 70-200...just sold a 35 and 50 because I never used them). So with that in mind, any other information is welcome. Sorry for my vagueness!

Feb 14, 2013 at 08:22 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Beginning landscape photographer...what's a must have in my bag?

beccaquint wrote:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice so far. Guess I should clarify.

I'm a beginning landscape photographer, but by no means a beginning photographer. I have a B.S. in photography (photojournalism). I have also spent the last three years doing post-production for wedding photographers, so I'm no stranger to that, but most of the landscape shots I have seen and loved involve far heavier post.

That said, I know landscape is a very different animal. I don't currently use filters (other than UV filters) but know they are fairly common in landscape shooting.

I'm shooting on a Canon 5D III, and I
...Show more

Yeah, this had to be in your opening post

Feb 14, 2013 at 08:49 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Beginning landscape photographer...what's a must have in my bag?

Where are you going? Might make a difference. Just like knowing what you had already as far as gear!

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:23 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Beginning landscape photographer...what's a must have in my bag?

I still think a mid range zoom is very nice to have. compared to wedding retouching, I would say landscape (hopefully) has less retouching actually. Some people swear by GND, some use bracketting and blending, and some blasphemous individuals use software generated HDR (I have done all 3).
Most landscape photographers dont use uv filters, unless elements are dangerous (shooting next to waves) as any additional glass in front of your lens will add to optical abberations (flare, ghosting, loss of contrast and even resolution) and that includes CPL and GND/ND. Once you are along in your way, having a 4 stop or more ND is nice for long exposures in day light for water, etc.

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:45 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Beginning landscape photographer...what's a must have in my bag?

A modern landscape tends to have as much pp as anything else (automotive or portrait etc). Often you just cant tell.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:15 PM
beccaquint

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Beginning landscape photographer...what's a must have in my bag?

ckcarr wrote:
Where are you going? Might make a difference. Just like knowing what you had already as far as gear!

I'm taking off on a RTW trip, so New Zealand, Vietnam, Thailand, India, Norway, Iceland and the rest of Europe (and Africa if we aren't broke by then) are all on the itinerary...

Thanks for the advice so far. It sounds like most people are suggesting a polarizer, and then buying an ND filter later on once I am more involved with this? Please keep the suggestions coming!

Feb 15, 2013 at 08:39 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password