Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · If you do festivals/expos, take a look and guide me a little

bipock
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · If you do festivals/expos, take a look and guide me a little

I've got my third festival in a little over 1 month and am looking for some guidance.

My first festival was in December and had an OK turnout with about 1500-2000 people. I lost some money on that one, chalking it up to economic conditions in the area and poor booth setup (first one so cut me some slack).

Second one this weekend was attended by a little over 1000 people and resulted in $600 in gross sales, more than covering expense of prints, booth fee, milage and so on. I was pleased.

During this festival, a promoter of another wildlife festival approached me about doing something with his festival. Location is a affluent area with a rich wildlife history. This one draws approx 10-12k people for attendance. My corner booth will be facing the main entrance and directly across from a major show attraction, so I am in a very high traffic area.

I like to set goals for anything I do, so I'm beginning to set my goal for this festival. I have found what I believe to be the magic prices for my work (a change I made between 1 and 2) and I believe it is reflected in sales. As I have begun to prepare, I'm going on the theory of a 10 times bigger show should bring 10x more sales and then backing that down around 30% (so $600 per thousand would equal $6-7k in sales, so thinking a goal of $4800 is reasonale). In talking with others that have done this show, they agree, based on their experiences, that I am not far off. However, using my current price structure, I am finding that I would have to carry a huge inventory for this show or increase prices to the print of them being very ridiculous.

How would you judge what to carry inventory-wise (yes, I can carry my printer)? Would you increase prices and risk missing sales or do day 1 and make changes from there? Something different all together?

Feb 13, 2013 at 07:59 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · If you do festivals/expos, take a look and guide me a little

I have never tried selling at a festival so my ideas may be way off. Only way to sell in to have inventory. That cost money and could be a loss if sales are slow. Have you considered increasing stock a little to be safe but offering a 'free' upgrade in size for those allowing you to drop ship a print to their home vs delivery at the event. Many labs ship at very low cost so that would have to be part of the price. You could also offer higher end canvas or acrylic styles too costly to stock.

Some might prefer not having to carry a print around all day.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:37 PM
bipock
• • •
p.1 #3 · If you do festivals/expos, take a look and guide me a little

None of the prints I've sold have been framed, so we're only talking about a matted picture and I provide a bag.

Feb 14, 2013 at 03:36 AM
3iron
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · If you do festivals/expos, take a look and guide me a little

I believe I would sell for mail delievery. You can then inventory only 1 print of each type then include cost of shipping. Otherwise, that would be an impossible amount of inventory.
Another thought is if you are exposed to weather and what might happen if it rained or had bad weather.
With mail order you could include special frames as well.
Good luck

Feb 20, 2013 at 06:38 PM
Michael White
• • •
p.1 #5 · If you do festivals/expos, take a look and guide me a little

All for drop shipment at a lower price to indices them to go that way, wanting it now cost more, plus have the ability for them to order none stocked but printable sizes later in the day. Also offer to hold their purchase for them to pick up on their way out to prevent them from having to carry it around all day as a service. That might get you more sales earlier in the day. Also if you run short that would give you time to print it out for them so your inventory wouldn't have to be as large. Matter od fact a few copies of each print to start with and every time you sale a print you print one out that way your inventory doesn't run short. Also have a print or two on special.

Feb 26, 2013 at 09:30 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password