Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2013 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

Beni
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

The AF points lighting up is impossible to see in good light, spent 5 minutes shooting recently with the lens on MF and didn't even realise, wasn't taking the time to chimp and the manual focus was close enough that it looked ok in the viewfinder.

I find there is somewhat more of a delay in low light, my 1Ds3 was the same. Basically with smaller and much more accurate AF sensors you don't get as fast focus in low light but it is accurate, my 5Dc could get low light f1.4 about 1 out of 4 shots. With the 5D3 you can set expanded AF points to help in low light for dancing pics etc.

Thing is, you can't focus recompose at anything wider than f2.8 or so consistently with 22 megapixels. Learnt that to my cost on the 1Ds3 and was the same with the 5D3. the focus innaccuracy really starts to show in a way that it just didn't with the 5Dc. That in itself (among other reasons) was what kept me from the 5D2 and would keep me away from the 6D. Bit silly to pay for all that expensive glass and a zillion megapixels then get soft pics.

I will say this though. The 5D3 is the camera I'd always wished my 5Dc was for the 7 years I used it. It really is a perfect wedding camera bar none (IMO). Don't forget the dual cards!

Dec 02, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

5d3 ftw! AF points lighting up is my only issue.

Dec 02, 2013 at 12:50 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

Jeff Simpson wrote:
AF points lighting up is my only issue.

And that's a big issue for me.

Dec 02, 2013 at 08:00 PM
wuxiekeji
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

msack wrote:
I picked up a 6D in January for wedding shooting. The high ISO capabilities is excellent. Focus is definitely better than the 5D and 5DII. I am a center point shooter also. I would like to get my hands on a 5DIII to compare them side-by-side. Overall I'm really impressed with the 6D, but wish the button layout was the same or closer to the 5DII or III, other than that I have no beefs with the 6D.

Guess to each is own -- personally I actually kind of like the 6D layout with the exception of no dedicated button for controlling external flash power. (I'm a full-time MF user so the AF points are all irrelevant. I wanted good high ISO though.)

Dec 02, 2013 at 09:14 PM
Cassario
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

What is this AF point lighting up issue? I still have no idea what you guys are talking about. Im holding my Mk3 right now, and as I AF it lights up red when it locks. What else do you want it to do?

Dec 02, 2013 at 11:18 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

wuxiekeji wrote:
kind of like the 6D layout with the exception of no dedicated button for controlling external flash power.

I never even use that button. I change the flash power on the flash, itself. Same way with the photogs I work with. I have sometimes missed a dedicated white balance button, though.

Dec 03, 2013 at 12:04 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

wuxiekeji wrote:
I'm a full-time MF user so the AF points are all irrelevant.

With the 6D, you can install the "Super Precision" matte focusing screen, which aides considerably with manually focusing lenses. The 5D3 does not allow for the swapping out of focusing screens.

Dec 03, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

D. Diggler wrote:
With the 6D, you can install the "Super Precision" matte focusing screen, which aides considerably with manually focusing lenses. The 5D3 does not allow for the swapping out of focusing screens.

You can swap them out. It requires a screw driver. http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/5d3en.htm

Dec 03, 2013 at 12:24 AM
form
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

My 5d3 experience comes from using a 5d3 for about a dozen weddings in 2013, before getting tired of the delay costing me key shots (especially during receptions) that my 5d2s nailed almost every time. I benched my 5d3 for the next 6 weddings and only slightly missed having a chance to try more outer focus points for focus tracking in daytime shots.

Haven't used the 5d3 for work since them. Updated the firmware when that came out, hoping for a phantom fix to that delay issue. Tested and came up with same results, same delays.

Dec 03, 2013 at 01:49 AM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

form wrote:
My 5d3 experience comes from using a 5d3 for about a dozen weddings in 2013, before getting tired of the delay costing me key shots (especially during receptions) that my 5d2s nailed almost every time. I benched my 5d3 for the next 6 weddings and only slightly missed having a chance to try more outer focus points for focus tracking in daytime shots.

Haven't used the 5d3 for work since them. Updated the firmware when that came out, hoping for a phantom fix to that delay issue. Tested and came up with same results, same delays.

That's really interesting. I think it would be odd the believe that everyone else who is having the opposite experience can be chalked up to drinking the koolaid though. I know I don't have the same problems.

Dec 03, 2013 at 01:54 AM
wuxiekeji
• •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

D. Diggler wrote:
I never even use that button. I change the flash power on the flash, itself. Same way with the photogs I work with.

While this works when you're doing on-camera flash, it gets extremely annoying when you're doing off-camera, which is 99% of the time for me.

I have sometimes missed a dedicated white balance button, though.

I don't usually care for white balance button because I shoot everything in RAW.

Dec 03, 2013 at 09:22 AM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

wuxiekeji wrote:
While this works when you're doing on-camera flash, it gets extremely annoying when you're doing off-camera, which is 99% of the time for me.

I don't usually care for white balance button because I shoot everything in RAW.

You can set the button on the center of the d-pad for whatever function you'd like. I set mine for FEC. Works well enough because I'm usually chimping when I'm adjusting FEC anyway.

Dec 03, 2013 at 10:38 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

joelconner wrote:
I had to shoot the entire event at iso's between 6400 and 10,000. The files are totally usable and look just fine...they would have been atrocious on the 5d2

I completely agree with this. There is a night and day difference in details and color at high ISOs. Shooting a book in a dark bedroom isn't a real comparison.

Dec 03, 2013 at 10:53 AM
wuxiekeji
• •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

Depth of Feel wrote:
You can set the button on the center of the d-pad for whatever function you'd like. I set mine for FEC. Works well enough because I'm usually chimping when I'm adjusting FEC anyway.

Thanks! Yeah I tried that, but it doesn't work when I open LiveView which is how I shoot most of the time. I think Magic Lantern may be interfering with that setting. (So yeah, I wish there were a dedicated FEC button ...)

Dec 03, 2013 at 11:00 AM
form
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

There is definitely a difference in the noise profile with the 5d3 vs 5d2 as well....the 5d3 is WORSE (worse shadow noise and resulting worse dynamic range) at low ISOs and better at high ISOs. The biggest improvement is in the dynamic range retention at higher ISOs.

Dec 03, 2013 at 03:14 PM
anthonyket
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

^What raw converter are you using with the 5d3? I am using capture one pro 7 and don't get any worse shadow banding in low iso , in fact it's much better than the 5d2.

Dec 03, 2013 at 03:36 PM
form
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

Lightroom/ACR. It's not the banding, it's the massive amounts of chroma noise.

Dec 03, 2013 at 03:42 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

Cassario wrote:
What is this AF point lighting up issue? I still have no idea what you guys are talking about. Im holding my Mk3 right now, and as I AF it lights up red when it locks. What else do you want it to do?

cool. so does mine. but try using it in bright light during the day. you can't really see the lit focus point. it's a known issue.

Dec 03, 2013 at 09:42 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.