Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

jolson72
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

I have been using 5dc bodies for years shooting weddings. Still love the file quality, but I am ready for more accurate and quicker focus.

While I understand that the 5d3 has a better focus system than the 6d and more points, if I am primarily interested in just using the center point, is the 6d focus system more than enough?

At some point, I'd like to have two new bodies, and I would save $2000 buying two 6d bodies over two 5d3 bodies.......

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:43 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

If you are a "center point focus" user like me, I'd say pick up a couple of used 5D II's. You'll appreciate the higher ISO capabilities over the 5D classic.

I have two 5D II's plus a 5D III. The jury is still out over which is my favorite body.

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:12 PM
Rincon

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

Like you, I am a center-point shooter and upgrading from a 5D classic. I chose the 6D for the high ISO capability for weddings and the wireless for tether shoting. I only just received my 6D last Thursday, so I don't have a lot of experience with it yet. My next wedding is this Saturday and I plan on using the 6D as my primary body. We shall see how it goes...

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:46 PM
ShotByTom
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

Rincon wrote:
Like you, I am a center-point shooter and upgrading from a 5D classic. I chose the 6D for the high ISO capability for weddings and the wireless for tether shoting. I only just received my 6D last Thursday, so I don't have a lot of experience with it yet. My next wedding is this Saturday and I plan on using the 6D as my primary body. We shall see how it goes...

Please post back and let us know how you like the 6D! I am trying to decide which one to buy next month..

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:10 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

jcolman wrote:
I have two 5D II's plus a 5D III. The jury is still out over which is my favorite body.

the 5D3 should win, why is the jury still undecided?

Feb 14, 2013 at 08:25 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

CW100 wrote:
the 5D3 should win, why is the jury still undecided?

Because I know my 5D II's quite well. The 5D III and I are just starting to get acquainted.

Feb 14, 2013 at 08:57 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

jcolman wrote:
Because I know my 5D II's quite well. The 5D III and I are just starting to get acquainted.

Coolman ... may you have fun getting acquainted on valentines day? Coincidence .... I think not.

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:42 AM
DONIV
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

all i hear is everyone talking about the long overdue af points upgrade..ect ect. yes it's great, but I never had a major problem getting my shots with the 5d2 the picture quality/quick servo/cleaner ISO are what really helped with the 5d3...the af points are just a plus.

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:11 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

Yes.

Next question.

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:09 AM
msack
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

I picked up a 6D in January for wedding shooting. The high ISO capabilities is excellent. Focus is definitely better than the 5D and 5DII. I am a center point shooter also. I would like to get my hands on a 5DIII to compare them side-by-side. Overall I'm really impressed with the 6D, but wish the button layout was the same or closer to the 5DII or III, other than that I have no beefs with the 6D.

Feb 15, 2013 at 09:34 AM
asparkes
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

I've never touch a 6D. The MKIII is an absolute beast. Best AF I've ever had in a camera. Do bear in mind my last 1 series was the MKII, but still ...

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Yaryman
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

I've never used a 6D, but I've owned all 3 models of the 5D.
The auto focus on the 5Dmk3 is the best by far.
This was taken with a 5Dmk3 using a 400 f2.8 at 3.5 1/800 at ISO 2500 using the center 9 focus points.
The auto focus is set on "Case 4" for football and "Case 1" for everything else.

It's a good bet most brides don't move this fast.

http://ksimonian.com/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/49ers-vs-Packers-NFL-Playoff-05.jpg

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:17 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

jcolman wrote:
I know my 5D II's quite well. The 5D III and I are just starting to get acquainted.

And what about the focus point light not lighting up on the three. Sounds concerning.

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:44 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

D. Diggler wrote:
And what about the focus point light not lighting up on the three. Sounds concerning.

It does bother me that the focus points don't light up. I've used the camera on a few non wedding shoots and it does a fine job, however I have found that I've missed focus on a few shots that I thought I had nailed.

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:52 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

Yaryman wrote:

I've never used a 6D, but I've owned all 3 models of the 5D.
The auto focus on the 5Dmk3 is the best by far.
This was taken with a 5Dmk3 using a 400 f2.8 at 3.5 1/800 at ISO 2500 using the center 9 focus points.
The auto focus is set on "Case 4" for football and "Case 1" for everything else.

It's a good bet most brides don't move this fast.

http://ksimonian.com/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/49ers-vs-Packers-NFL-Playoff-05.jpg

Did you notice that you're focused on the dude on the ground and not the guy with the ball?

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:57 PM
marko1953
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

The 5D3 AF is amazingly better and you will get shots that you would have missed with the 5Dc or even the 5D2 (even at weddings). I have not tried the 6D, and I am not sure if the 5D3 is worth the extra money that you quoted. However there are other factors to consider especially for weddings. The main ones for me are: the "silent shutter mode", not actually silent but very very quiet, great for weddings!. Also the dual card slots which I am sure you know about. It is a good feeling to come home knowing you have a back-up of your wedding already in the camera. These other 2 factors as well as the AF would push me towards the 5D3. My lenses seems to have a new lease of life as I too have come from shooting weddings with a 5Dc until recently. I can shoot much more confidently at wide open apertures f/1.8 etc and focus on the eyes, knowing that is exactly what will be in focus, with great background bokeh. With the 5Dc I always used to close down to f/3.5 or f/5.6 for safety.

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

I tried a 5D3 back to back with m 5D2 extensively for a half dozen weddings and ended up keeping the 5D2. The 3 bothered me BIG time with that focus point not lighting up. I was more accurate with center point + recompose with the 5D2 compared to the 3. That thing drove me nuts. With that said, it did have some great advantages in ISO performance. The 6D is an interesting camera to me. There are many features I like better than the 5D3.

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:36 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

Joshua Gull wrote:
The 3 bothered me BIG time with that focus point not lighting up.

The non-lighting focus point, in and of itself, makes me hesitant to buy the camera.

Feb 16, 2013 at 01:49 AM
Yaryman
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

TTLKurtis wrote:
Did you notice that you're focused on the dude on the ground and not the guy with the ball?

While the dude on ground may have "sharpened up better", the focus was on guy with the ball.
The top half of this photo shows the image full frame. ( pretty sure this is a punt return )
The bottom half show a 100% crop with no sharpening. Note the runners left leg appears to be focus point, not the dude on the ground.
The image is a pretty extreme crop. With a punt you have two choices, head down field for the return, or stay at
the line of scrimmage and maybe get a blocked punt, or maybe get a punt returned for a TD. I stayed on the line of scrimmage.

http://prophoto-5-discount-code.com/Photos/Fullframe.jpg

Feb 16, 2013 at 09:34 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 6D for weddings / 5d3 that much better?

D. Diggler wrote:
The non-lighting focus point, in and of itself, makes me hesitant to buy the camera.

does the AF point not light up at all? seems strange

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.