Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2013 · How "tight" are Canon Supertele's

Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · How "tight" are Canon Supertele's

It is sounding more hopeful that you can have it partially disassembled and then the front elements cleaned. Then treat thoroughly with sunlight (or a UV light). At least the insides aren't corroded, inhibiting movement and AF. Looking forward to hearing good news on Monday.

Feb 17, 2013 at 01:47 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · How "tight" are Canon Supertele's

lowa2 wrote:
I'm in Canada dude, it's like -10 outside, and the sun ain't that strong

Dude yourself. I'm in the Canadian Maritimes too. Maybe you assume you will only point your lens at the sun when it isn't strong, but I don't. Further, even in the dead of winter, the sun can be plenty strong enough. People have started fires from lenses made from ice on cold days. Maybe you will point the lens at the sun from inside your house; perhaps you even heat your house above -10 outside temperatures. I'm not assuming either way, just cautioning. If you are so smart, you bought the lens?

Sun may kill the growing fungus, but not spores that may be hidden in the recesses of the lens away from light. Further, you still have to disassemble the lens to clean the fungus off the lens after it is dead or has stopped growing and hope that it hasn't etched the glass.

However, I have my doubts about sun killing fungus, since it is the UV-C rays that are the killing rays and they are blocked by glass. (Glass is more transmissible to longer wavelength UV; hence UV filters for film.)

Probably most times people think sun has killed fungus is that they put it in the sun for a while and then change the storage conditions to dry storage which is what stops the fungal growth.

I'm sorry you think I'm joking and perhaps I'm wasting my time writing for you but there are others who read here and may take caution. Do what you want.

Feb 17, 2013 at 02:08 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · How "tight" are Canon Supertele's

Man, your way too serious.

I took your advice and thanked you. So....thanks.

Nuff said.

Feb 17, 2013 at 02:24 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · How "tight" are Canon Supertele's

You are welcome.

Feb 17, 2013 at 02:30 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · How "tight" are Canon Supertele's

Sun, magnifying glass, ants...poof...if it's IQ gets nasty you can always use it outdoors when your matches/lighter aren't working...do consult you local forest ranger regarding fires...that's one heavy bit of magnifying glass to carry around just for starting fires.

Being serious, to the OP, really sorry about the fungus issues, hope someone can clean it up for you. It is important that you posted, if for no other reason then to point out you should always get good background/usage info on any 'used' bit of gear you buy...can't imagine taking a 6K hit in the wallet ...your unfortunate experience is a lesson for all to heed

There's also a good bit of gear storage advice throughout these pages, a great resource for many.

Feb 17, 2013 at 02:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lowa2
• • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · How "tight" are Canon Supertele's

Thanks! Yes, a painfull lesson indeed. Luckily the seller was quite understanding and helped me out. I for one will be a whole lot more demanding when purchasing used lenses from now on!

Feb 17, 2013 at 02:40 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · How "tight" are Canon Supertele's

Monito wrote:
If you point a lens at the sun, be careful where the point of focus is. You could start a fire ....

Monito is right and hopefully everyshooter knows this danger. I always sit my (short) lens on coffee cup and pointing it down to the pavement. Tripod for a big gun is a good idea.

Feb 17, 2013 at 02:42 AM
ZoneV
• • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · How "tight" are Canon Supertele's

I have a Canon FD 300mm f/2.8 L lens which I bought with fungus (was not declared in Ebay auction back then). I tried to clean it, but the fungus has etched the glass.
See my German language page: Fungus in Canon FD 300 /2.8L

That was deep inside. Fungus on the three front elements doesn´t sound extremely bad.
Lens diagramm (hope correct one) suggest front element is only a filter - could be thrown away in case it is completely damged. Ok, better have one because of the UD lens afterwards. Two UD lenses with fungus damage.
Could be risky to clean them, probably you get some scratches.

Like others I think the thightness of such lenses is a problem, once water / humid air is inside, it takes long time to get out again. This is not the first Canon EF super tele with fungus problems I read from.

Hope you could clean it! Or have someone how is able to clean it!

By the way: Aspergillus Niger is a fungus that sometimes is found on optical glass - and it is very harmful to human. I found this during my fungus "research" for my website. Have to translate this to English.

Feb 26, 2013 at 01:52 PM
trueimage
• • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · How "tight" are Canon Supertele's

Wow glad that this at least partially worked out. What's the best way to check for fungus when buying used? I hold the lens up to the light and look at it from several angles from the front and rear, and then I put in on the camera, stop down to the smallest aperture, hit dof preview and take the lens off the body with the blades out and repeat the eye exam. not sure of what I'm actually looking for though.

Any update on the 3rd party repair shop?

Feb 26, 2013 at 05:50 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · How "tight" are Canon Supertele's

I think it is ok to look at and in the lens with full open iris.
Here I have some fungus images (German text at the moment only). Here a fungus cleaning.

You need to play with the light, not only full light through the lens, but kind of scratching with the light the single lens elements, but not directly in the eye. And viewing the lens from booth directions - with light on opposite and same direction as well.

Problem is to try to focus with the eye on different lens surfaces, to detect whether there is some contrast (=dust/fungus/..) or not.
A small bright LED can help too.

Feb 26, 2013 at 06:51 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password