FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · DJ's and cameras at weddings

D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · DJ's and cameras at weddings

lewismayfield wrote:
I noticed many if not all wedding photographers were leaving as soon as the dancing began.

I WISH I could leave as soon as the open dancing begins. I hate shooting the dancing.

Feb 15, 2013 at 03:51 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · DJ's and cameras at weddings

Photographers will leave when has been agreed the coverage will finish.

Anyway, I guess you learn something new every day. I've never seen a DJ with a camera, never knew it was an issue.

Feb 15, 2013 at 05:35 AM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · DJ's and cameras at weddings

TTLKurtis wrote:
If I work with a DJ who is actually organized and does a good job handling timeline and not jumping into events without me there at the ready (in addition to being good at his job and personable), then I will certainly offer to send them photos and I often recommend a couple of great local DJs who are very professional and awesome to work with.

This. I always offer the great DJ's some of my shots of their work for their website, press kit, etc.

Kindness breeds kindness, and word gets around.

Feb 15, 2013 at 09:55 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · DJ's and cameras at weddings

I think some very good points have been brought up in this thread by both sides.... DJ vs. photographer. My experience as a wedding DJ is what eventually led me to the desire of being a wedding photographer being that photography has been a huge part of my life since 1987, but one thing I can add here is that being a wedding photographer has also made me a better DJ too and vice versa. I don't know if that makes any sense, it might be to those who have filled both roles. As I learned more about what photographers needs are in regard to lighting and other details... I have relayed that info to my husband who is still a wedding DJ. I am blessed to work with him on most of my weddings which of course provides us with more consistent results in regard to our photo and video coverage and has been a selling point to our couples since teamwork and vendor cohesion really does make the day flow better. Most importantly making the bride & groom the obvious VIP's of the day and not thinking any one of us (vendors) are more important than any other. I can also add that even though I have always gone out of my way to network and be friendly with wedding photographers when I have been in the DJ role, only one photographer team ever followed up with us and provided us with images that we were able to use on our website with credits of course. I have to say the disappointing part of photographers not following up is as someone who knows the final product is really super important, if I never see the images from the wedding, it doesn't matter how nice or accommodating a photographer was at the wedding, if their images didn't turn out well or the client wasn't satisfied, etc. I could never refer business to those people since they didn't follow up. Of course now the age of facebook and blogs, it is easier to see the end results... but a little follow up can lead to more business and referrals. I see it this way, my reputation is on the line with referrals, so I won't refer someone if I can't vouch for their finished product since that could poorly reflect on me as a business person. I hope that helps someone in seeing value in vendor networking and following up.

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:11 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · DJ's and cameras at weddings

TTLKurtis wrote:
If I work with a DJ who is actually organized and does a good job handling timeline and not jumping into events without me there at the ready (in addition to being good at his job and personable), then I will certainly offer to send them photos and I often recommend a couple of great local DJs who are very professional and awesome to work with.

I agree as well....i will add, that i have YET to have a DJ (or florist) proactively offer to PAY for photos for their website/business use.....they always just assume they're available for free, on the assumption that if i give them photos, they're going to recommend me to clients......they very well might recommend me....but it's nice when a vendor OFFERS to pay for photos, rather than just assuming that i need to give them away, b/c i need the work, or need the referrals....generally if a DJ or florist offers to buy some photos, i'll end up giving them low res photos FOR FREE.....just b/c i know they at least offered....and generally, the DJ's that i've worked with, who are absolutely STELLAR, don't go around asking for free photos.....it's generally the ones who dont have their stuff together as much as they should....

Also, to the OP....i dont mind if DJ's bring along a camera to shoot photos of their setup, or shots of the party, etc......that's fine by me....even a DSLR, who cares...it's just a camera....as long as they're for your own use, go for it.......

If great aunt Milly NEEDS a shot and i'm not immediately available, and you want to take one out of the kindness of your heart, then just kindly let me know, and I'LL deliver it with the rest of the photos...i generally have a computer with me, and can upload the photo before i leave....

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.