Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Need Feedback on composition.

mjoshi
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need Feedback on composition.

Okay here are few from my last weeding shoot and while revisiting it I would appreciated some feedback on what I could improve upon in terms of composition, this are mainly from ceremony. Wedding was conducted in a church with no flash allowed during ceremony and cannot move in certain areas during ceremony. Shot with 70-200F2.8 and 16-35F2.8.

#1 - This was just before we reached for ceremony, bride looking over mom & dad. I personally liked the expression on her face as she watches over mom and dad sharing little love.

#2 -

#4 - Walking down isle

#10 - this is important moment so what specifically could have been done to make it better capture ? As I said there were certain restrictions in terms of where I can be during ceremony but just from composition point of view what I could have done to make this image better ?

#11 - found this little girl dragged thru 2 hours of ceremony and by the end she was bored and ready to go.

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:27 PM
roland hale
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need Feedback on composition.

I think #10 works, and is a pretty safe composition. It looks like you shot this one with the 70-200 - maybe next time you could fire a quick burst that you know is safe, like this, then drop that body for the 16-35 and aim for a shot with a little bit more of the scene for context/aesthetic?

Feb 13, 2013 at 08:31 PM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need Feedback on composition.

Thanks Roland for your comment, yes it was done with 70-200. Thanks for your suggestion on adding 16-35 into mix.

Come on 160 views and just one comment ?

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need Feedback on composition.

"Wedding was conducted in a church with no flash allowed during ceremony and cannot move in certain areas during ceremony."

Is this not standard practice over your way?

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:32 PM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need Feedback on composition.

ricardovaste wrote:
"Wedding was conducted in a church with no flash allowed during ceremony and cannot move in certain areas during ceremony."

Is this not standard practice over your way?

Not all places, some places are more strict than others.

Feb 14, 2013 at 01:41 PM
tmann4msu

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need Feedback on composition.

Forgive me for being naive, but I loved all these shots - Comp looks superb to me - am I amissing something?
BTW - Love #11, perfect capture of the little girl - expression here says it all

Feb 14, 2013 at 02:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need Feedback on composition.

The biggest compositional issue here is that you've centered your subject in nearly every image.

Many of them lack composition because they lack an active decision on your part about what to include and what not to include. Also, many are taken from quite normal perspectives.

The best compositions highlight the photographer's vision and make people see things in a new way. Have you done that here?

Feb 14, 2013 at 02:06 PM
kwhaley29
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need Feedback on composition.

Looks like you captured a lot of emotion with this set!

On #1 I agree that the bride's expression really enhances the photo and your timing was great. In terms of composition I did notice that the mother's hand is disappearing into the father's chest and that's kind of distracting. I think if you could have changed your position and angle of view slightly could have have brought her hand into view and you might have also gotten more of the bride into the frame. Also, it looks like the father is using his hand to support the mother's elbow and I think that if his whole hand was in the frame it really would have enhanced the tenderness of the moment.

#4 - this one feels like it is "leaning" to the right a bit - if that makes any sense. Rotating it slightly might help, but then again it might throw off the rest of the image.

#7 - again, great timing! Maybe crop tighter and shift dad over so he's not centered?

#8 - try shooting this one from the side since shooting straight on isn't the most flattering angle for women.

#9 - my favorite from the set!

#10 - At that angle the groom's shoulder and back are the closest things to the camera and they're right in line with one of the vertical guide lines if you were to apply the rule of thirds. Plus its one of lightest spots in the frame so it stands out. Having said that no matter what angle you shoot from you're going to have different challenges and trade offs. It might sound boring but shooting straight down the aisle from the back of the church is a good starting point and then maybe have your second working the side angle like you have here.

#11 - priceless!

Feb 14, 2013 at 02:26 PM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need Feedback on composition.

Tony Hoffer wrote:
The biggest compositional issue here is that you've centered your subject in nearly every image.

Many of them lack composition because they lack an active decision on your part about what to include and what not to include. Also, many are taken from quite normal perspectives.

The best compositions highlight the photographer's vision and make people see things in a new way. Have you done that here?

Thanks Tony that definetly helps, based on your comment and as I revisit the set I think honest answer for me would be no I didnot make people see things in a new way simply based upon composition. But things I definetly liked in this frames was capture of pure emotions. I think I still need to practice more on composition part.

Feb 14, 2013 at 02:59 PM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need Feedback on composition.

kwhaley29 wrote:
Looks like you captured a lot of emotion with this set!

On #1 I agree that the bride's expression really enhances the photo and your timing was great. In terms of composition I did notice that the mother's hand is disappearing into the father's chest and that's kind of distracting. I think if you could have changed your position and angle of view slightly could have have brought her hand into view and you might have also gotten more of the bride into the frame. Also, it looks like the father is using his hand to support the mother's elbow
...Show more

Thank your for taking time and giving me detailed critique on each and every image, it definetly helps me in learning and seeing things differently. I was the only one shooting this as my second bailed out at last moment due to death in family, I was the one trying to cover everything. Which made things little bit stressful. I concentrated solely on moments to make things work but as many have pointed out there is definetly room to improve here.

Feb 14, 2013 at 03:04 PM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need Feedback on composition.

tmann4msu wrote:
Forgive me for being naive, but I loved all these shots - Comp looks superb to me - am I amissing something?
BTW - Love #11, perfect capture of the little girl - expression here says it all

Thanks for your comments.

Feb 14, 2013 at 03:11 PM
kwhaley29
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need Feedback on composition.

mjoshi wrote:
Thank your for taking time and giving me detailed critique on each and every image, it definetly helps me in learning and seeing things differently. I was the only one shooting this as my second bailed out at last moment due to death in family, I was the one trying to cover everything. Which made things little bit stressful. I concentrated solely on moments to make things work but as many have pointed out there is definetly room to improve here.

You're quite welcome. I typically do not leave that detailed of a critique but it looked like you really wanted to hear some different perspectives so I thought I'd try to help. I really appreciate the fact that you have been receptive to the feedback from everyone.

We all have a unique way of looking at things so just take my comments for whatever they might be worth.

Feb 14, 2013 at 05:09 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password