Not a gymnast was stirring, not even a mouse;
Their body suits were strewn in a pile with care,
In hopes that an Olympian soon would be there;

My gymnasts were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of medals danced in their heads;
I grabbed me my Canon and took off the cap
And dreamed that just once the lights were not crap,

Then out at our gym there arose such a clatter,
I awoke from my coma to see what was the matter.
Like a damn cheetah, she flew to the vault.
Oh @#$%, I missed it, it wasn’t my fault.

OK, I’ll spare you any further tortured Christmas carols and replace it with bad photos.

I thought the above might divert your attention, moderate your critique, etc. but I’m too tired to continue or edit so out they go. I'm a gym dad, Russ is the photographer.

Several of our local gymnasts had the privilege of training with Olympic gymnast Ellie Black, who helped Canada to their best finish ever in 2012, and her coach David Kikuchi (a two time Olympian). It was an amazing experience……………..yeah, and I missed her vault.

First ones are from the cheap seats, and I’m working on an excuse for the latter ones.

1. Not everyday that your daughter gets to train with an Olympian......

2. The glass adds a certain je ne sais quoi

3. Or not

4. What's on my foot?

Edited on Feb 13, 2013 at 02:40 AM · View previous versions

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:35 AM
lhryshko
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gymnastics: A Day in the Life

three more

7. Ellie signed about 1000 autographs and never lost her great smile.

8. Coach David takes a well earned break.

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:37 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gymnastics: A Day in the Life

Larry: Wow, talk about memorable! This looks like an amazing experience. Now, about the vault.... I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to when you say you 'missed the vault,' but I do have a great deal of experience failing to adequately photograph vaults, so I'm familiar with the frustration, and I suppose in this case it's compounded by the fatherhood factor. Bummer, but you'll have other chances at the vault, versus, say, that first shot, which is and will forever be priceless (along with your daughter's smile).

Impeccable timing on 4, 5 and 6. I'm loving 4 as it's just about the perfect angle for that shot. And man, the form on these girls is better than some of what I've seen posted of NCAA gymnasts. Nicely done, my friend. I look forward to years of this!

Feb 13, 2013 at 09:49 AM
MakoShark
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gymnastics: A Day in the Life

cool shots, yeah the glass is a bit of a downer, but well documented. Sounds like a wonderful time that you captured.

Nice job on the beam shot for 6. Its nice to see such supportive parents.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:05 AM
lhryshko
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gymnastics: A Day in the Life

@Russ: Thanks for your support and kind comments. I know that even by my low standards, this wasn't a bumper crop of technically great photos. They are, however, extremely memorable for us and for all who participated. Ellie trains like a maniac and it will be a very long time before anyone forgets that. Fortunately, I have much of that on video.

Regarding vault, I had the chance to try and capture Ellie from near and behind the vault, similar to vantage points where I've seen you shoot from. She was too fast, I was too slow, and it was too dark, etc. so lots of oofy fly-bys. Beautiful to watch though, even in practice.

Thanks again. I will continue to try (and fail) to emulate you and I intend to post something worthy after Gymnix. I greatly appreciate your help and sage advice throughout this journey.

@MakoShark: Thank you very much for your comments. Even though I'm saturated with gymnasts and gymnastics, this was a great experience. I'm used to seeing our girls train extremely hard but Ellie took this to a whole new level. I'm still tired from watching her speed conditioning.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:56 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.