Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9      
       end

Archive 2013 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Ralph Conway
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #1 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Feel good!

Feb 21, 2013 at 08:58 AM
macrobild
• •
p.10 #2 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

FYI, Roger C. chose the 6D = Roger are shooting 6D - is that a valid confirmation of something? quality - or what do you meant?
I shoot Canon, Nikon ,Leica , Hasselblad and Sinar

Edited on Feb 21, 2013 at 08:54 PM · View previous versions

Feb 21, 2013 at 08:44 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.10 #3 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

It 100% means that Roger chose the 6d. Little else.

The 6d is an awesome camera but so are many others.

Feb 21, 2013 at 08:53 PM
macrobild
• •
p.10 #4 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Yes, like all of us who choose the cameras as a tool whether it is a C or N in the beginning

Feb 21, 2013 at 08:55 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #5 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

macrobild wrote:
FYI, Roger C. chose the 6D = Roger are shooting 6D - is that a valid confirmation of something? quality - or what do you meant?

Wrong, I chose the 7d. Lolol

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Geoff D F

p.10 #6 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Ferrophot wrote:
Now that we have all had a lot of fun belting Canon to a pulp over the disaster that the 6D is and their market mechanisations that have robbed us of this and that essential feature, has anybody who bought the camera and used it been so unhappy that they are selling it to buy something else? Those who have it seem pretty happy.

This is somewhat of a fallacious argument. Those that buy it do so because they make the judgement looking at the specs that it will meet their needs. The more relevant measure of whether the 6D is a success is whether it is attractive to upgraders, those thinking of switching from another brand or those looking to choose and entry level dslr but look at the overall Canon/Nikon lineup and end up saying Canon is a brand I can grow with that offers good value.

Despite the 6D being able to take a quality photo (as do all dslrs these days) I suspect it will be a camera that damages the Canon brand in the long run, given its price point and dilletante feature set compaired to the competition.

Sorry but I just needed to belt Canon a little more.

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:09 AM
zlatko
• •
p.10 #7 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Geoff D F wrote:
Despite the 6D being able to take a quality photo (as do all dslrs these days) I suspect it will be a camera that damages the Canon brand in the long run, given its price point and dilletante feature set compaired to the competition.

So far, there is no sign of the 6D damaging the brand. On the contrary -- check out the reviews of the 6D on Amazon.com. There are 66 reviews so far, not one of which gives it a 1 star rating. Eventually, someone will. But so far, the ratings are very, very favorable. So far, 78% of reviewers are giving it 5 stars -- the best rating.

Speaking of damaging the brand, check out the reviews of the D600 and D800, both of which have fabulous feature sets. About 17% of reviewers are giving them just 1 star -- the worst rating.

Feb 22, 2013 at 05:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

thw2
• • • •
p.10 #8 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Geoff D F wrote:

Despite the awesome feature sets and imaging capabilities of the D600 and D800, I am afraid these cameras will damage the Nikon brand in the long run, given Nikon's atrocious quality control: left side misfocus on D800 and junk on imaging sensor of D600 straight-out-of-factory.

Sorry, just need to belt Nikon a little bit more.

Feb 22, 2013 at 05:41 AM
snapsy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #9 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

If any camera damaged the Canon brand it was the 1DM3 but IMO the 1DIV and 1DX proved that a camera company can bounce back and win the trust of its customers again. The fact that Canon has recently been so proactive and communicative on issues helps even more.

Feb 22, 2013 at 05:43 AM
XsigmaSD
• •
p.10 #10 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Geoff D F wrote:
This is somewhat of a fallacious argument. Those that buy it do so because they make the judgement looking at the specs that it will meet their needs. The more relevant measure of whether the 6D is a success is whether it is attractive to upgraders, those thinking of switching from another brand or those looking to choose and entry level dslr but look at the overall Canon/Nikon lineup and end up saying Canon is a brand I can grow with that offers good value.

Despite the 6D being able to take a quality photo (as do all dslrs
...Show more

Actually I find your arguments even more fallacious.
I picked up a 6D because I was looking for a smaller body than my 1DsIII, to carry when I'm not working. I bought it fully expecting to sell it if I didn't like it. My choices came down to the OM-D, GH3 or the 6D, so it actually kept me from buying a competitive brands' product. Two friends of mine who also shoot professionally made the same decision and are keeping theirs.
As far as attracting "switchers," why would someone who already owns a working system, change brands for an "entry" camera. If you are using another brand, you are going to be tempted to switch because of a higher spec camera.
As far as beginners looking at the 6D vs the D600, they are much more likely to buy what their family/friends/coworkers use, than trust strangers' reviews and opinions on the Internet.

Feb 22, 2013 at 05:59 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.10 #11 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

macrobild wrote:

In my opinion Roger is one of the guys with highest reputation, you can meet here.
Of course his meaning is as biased as everybody elses has to be. But he did a weeks long evaluation what new camera system would give him the best in term of image qaulity, usability, service and costs, based on his experience, needs and expectations. You can follow this on his lens rentals blog. This is the thread here at FM about it:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1188156

I myself shoot/shot Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Hasselblad, Rolleiflex, Mamiya, Sinar. I decided the 6D as my next purchase three month ago myself. I had different causes but it was good to read about Rogers decission. He thought about a couple of (impotant) reasons I ignored completely in finding mine.

Ralph

Ralph

Feb 22, 2013 at 08:31 AM
neil_johnson

p.10 #12 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

You can't really be upset or angry at buying a camera that matches the needs that you want. Sure the 6D doesn't have all the features of the 5DIII or the 7D or 1DX but if those were the features someone needed they would buy those cameras.

Analogy time:
Sure I'd love a Ferrari but I'm not angry that my Sonata has 300HP less, FWD, front engine, no alcantra leather, race mode, adjustable suspension, etc. It does what I need it to do and does it very well and is pretty darn fast too. While I thought it should have had HIDs and cooled seats standard (equating to the more autofocus points requested in the 6D) I live with just heated seats and still love it.

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM
markshelby
• • •
p.10 #13 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

It seemed to me that the dp article missed a substantial improvement in RAW high-ISO shadow IQ (ISO6400 on up) as compared to the 5d3 and Nikon 600 and whatever else you care to compare it to. (Look, for example, at the text in the shadows of the Bailey's bottle label.)

Also, I personally value the center point's ability to focus-lock in darkness much more than the reviewer does.

Feb 25, 2013 at 07:10 PM
alexdi
• •
p.10 #14 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

zlatko wrote:
So far, 78% of reviewers are giving it 5 stars -- the best rating.

I was debating this when I wrote my Amazon review. It's very hard to give a Canon DSLR, or really any modern DSLR, less than five stars. The technology is at such a high level for general photography that the camera would have to have a manufacturing defect to merit a lower score. Lenses, I could see dropping a star or two. Mirrorless bodies with serious design issues like the the EOS-M, sure. But not the DSLRs.

The problem is that the rating doesn't give a good relative perspective. Should I dock the 6D because the D600 has a better AF system and more card slots, even if the 6D is perfectly adequate for most people? Or the 30D for being such a slight improvement over the vastly cheaper 20D? I decided not to, but there's an argument you could go the other way.

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:49 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password