1       2       3      
       5              9       10       end

Archive 2013 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Gochugogi
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

ben egbert wrote:
Never understood what people care about out of camera color. You fix color in post, ideally with a camera profile.

I think with a Wi-Fi integral design, people will want to upload pic to FB during the event they are attending, so no PP work and clean JPEGs are important. Lots of event shooters get their thunder stolen when everyone around them uploads iPhone images of the event in real time. Their PP images are old news the next day...

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:07 PM
zlatko
• •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

dhphoto wrote:
Yes, but you're not the 'average' user, you're on a photo site talking about gear.

You aren't Joe from Minneapolis, Manchester or Madrid who just wants to buy a camera to photograph his kids and wants an upgrade to his Rebel or P&S. He wants a convenient onboard flash, he doesn't care about harsh shadows, his mate at work has told him to go full frame as the pics will be better and he's making his choice - he will most likely pick the one that most closely resembles the features on his Rebel, or P&S.

You keep talking about this average Joe who is ok with built-in flash. No doubt he exits. I'm just not sure there are many average Joes spending near $2K on any camera, even if his mate at work told him to go full frame. As far as I know, the average Joe is spending much less, maybe $500 on the high side, or $600 if his kids are in sports.

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:09 PM
MintMar
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

6D in form of a plastic FF Rebel for appropriate price would have been a smashing hit. The current "5D Mk 2.2" isn't that much of a hit.

As for the internal flash, I bought 220EX recently. Much better "internal flash" even for bodies with the internal flash! And there's at least center-point red AF assist light!

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:09 PM
ronno
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

I have used the 6D a few times, and the focusing is great! Even with the outer AF points.
Using 50 1.2, 85 1.2, 50 1.4, etc. the AF was spot on shot WIDE OPEN indoors with moderate light levels.
It's a much better showing than the 5D2's AF.
And considering the size and light weight, WIFI, changeable focusing screens, and price it is truly a great camera IMO.

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:11 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

zlatko wrote:
You keep talking about this average Joe who is ok with built-in flash. No doubt he exits. I'm just not sure there are many average Joes spending near $2K on any camera, even if his mate at work told him to go full frame. As far as I know, the average Joe is spending much less, maybe $500 on the high side, or $600 if his kids are in sports.

Well Nikon didn't agree with you

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:13 PM
zlatko
• •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

ronno wrote:
I have used the 6D a few times, and the focusing is great! Even with the outer AF points.
Using 50 1.2, 85 1.2, 50 1.4, etc. the AF was spot on shot WIDE OPEN indoors with moderate light levels.
It's a much better showing than the 5D2's AF.

That is awesome. Those lenses at widest aperture have always presented a challenge for accurate AF. The 5D3 and 1DX have really stepped up Canon's AF accuracy. It sounds like the 6D has inherited some of that improvement despite its much simpler AF.

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:15 PM
zlatko
• •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

dhphoto wrote:

No doubt. I'm glad we have choices. It would be dull if all brands were the same.

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:20 PM
ronno
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

zlatko wrote:
That is awesome. Those lenses at widest aperture have always presented a challenge for accurate AF. The 5D3 and 1DX have really stepped up Canon's AF accuracy. It sounds like the 6D has inherited some of that improvement despite its much simpler AF.

This is absolutely true. People need to go test the camera out for themselves, instead of reading a DPR review and then proclaiming disappointment. Honestly.

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:22 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

ronno wrote:
This is absolutely true. People need to go test the camera out for themselves, instead of reading a DPR review and then proclaiming disappointment. Honestly.

This I can agree on. On paper, the d600 seems to walk all over the 6d. In real life use not so much. In ownership, it is a frustrating product thanks to it's oil leak and Nikon's denial.

IMHO the 6d is not a lost cause. It's just not an outstanding product compared to its other Canon brethren 1dx and 5d3 in their respective segments. Priced it around $1700 to adjust for expectations and watch it fly off the shelves. Folks with rebel and 60d will be quite happy with this camera.

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:35 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

M Lucca wrote:
IMHO the 6d is not a lost cause. It's just not an outstanding product compared to its other Canon brethren 1dx and 5d3 in their respective segments. Priced it around $1700 to adjust for expectations and watch it fly off the shelves. Folks with rebel and 60d will be quite happy with this camera.

Nicely put

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:56 PM
steve126a

p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

I believe I am Canon's target market for this camera, a relative amateur coming from an older crop sensor looking to upgrade to full frame but not willing to shell out $3000+ for a 5DIII.

I will say though that I've used the popup flash perhaps 5 times since I've owned my camera and have made the investment in off camera flash. Its more of a comparison note with the D600 rather than an actual need. Sure there are times where it may be needed in a pinch but the high iso, low light quality probably negates much of that need.
...Show more

I'm in the same boat. After a long time away, I've recently reignited my passion for photography in the last few years. I upgraded from a Rebel XT to a T3i a few years ago and was happy overall. In that time, I've soaked up information like a sponge and have increased my knowledge and skill to the point where I've hit the limits of that camera body.

When it came time to think about upgrades, my only choices at the time were a 5d mkII or the newly released 5d mkIII. While I would LOVE to have the mkIII, I just couldn't swing the price tag. Then when I heard the announcement for the 6D, I was excited, yet skeptical. The spec sheet was a bit underwhelming, but the more I looked at it, the more I realized that the features fit me quite well.

I shoot primarily portraits and architecture. The only real time I shoot moving subjects is when I am chasing my 2 year old around the house, so the lack of 50 cross-type points and FPS isn't a huge deal for me. When/if my daughters decide to play sports, I figure I can always pick up a used 7D for that task.

I do some light studio work, so I would actually prefer a faster sync-speed, but it is not a deal-breaker by any means.

For me, the price and image quality were the biggest factors and the 6D fits the bill right now. In the future, if the mkIII drops in price or a new full-frame wonder comes along, I might consider upgrading again. In the meantime, I'll be waiting by the door on Friday for the UPS driver to deliver my new toy.

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:00 PM
neil_johnson

p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Just noticed the $100 less price tag for the 6D on B&H / Amazon now. I think I will make a purchase. I could play the waiting game waiting for the next greatest thing to come out forever.

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:30 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

The problem is that many people expected the 7D's AF cross type point spread while the 6D was rumoured. Heck I personally thought they would do something similiar to the 60D's 9 cross type points, but when the single cross type point came out a lot of people went bananas.

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:38 PM
ronno
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

boingyman wrote:
The problem is that many people expected the 7D's AF cross type point spread while the 6D was rumoured. Heck I personally thought they would do something similiar to the 60D's 9 cross type points, but when the single cross type point came out a lot of people went bananas.

Still, instead of harping on specs, people need to try the camera. Focus with ALL points (in my experience) is great. Miles ahead of the 5D2.

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:09 PM
Yohan Pamudji
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

ronno wrote:
Still, instead of harping on specs, people need to try the camera. Focus with ALL points (in my experience) is great. Miles ahead of the 5D2.

Isn't that like saying you can run faster than a snail? Not exactly saying much, is it?

In all seriousness I truly hope they've managed some magic formula to make the non-cross-type AF points on the 6D work reasonably well. I just don't see any precedent based on their previous efforts to believe that they have. It would be a breakthrough for Canon if they managed this.

Feb 13, 2013 at 05:28 PM
Sayeret18
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Thinking about the 6D as a full-frame Rebel is about right. Stick the 60D AF in this rig and it becomes much more attractive as a multi-purpose tool. Not hard to understand why Canon did this - obviously, it must protect its investment in the 5D3 - but it is a bit of a disappointment nonetheless.

Feb 13, 2013 at 05:33 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

dhphoto wrote:

Yes, and they were proven wrong because the 6D is selling much better than D600.

Feb 13, 2013 at 06:27 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Sayeret18 wrote:
Thinking about the 6D as a full-frame Rebel is about right. Stick the 60D AF in this rig and it becomes much more attractive as a multi-purpose tool. Not hard to understand why Canon did this - obviously, it must protect its investment in the 5D3 - but it is a bit of a disappointment nonetheless.

I think it is a weak sauce of a reason. You either cannibalize yourself or someone else is gonna cannibalize for you. At the end of the day it is money back to Canon.

Canon has a pretty strong line-up from 1dx, 5d3, 7d to T4i in its respective segments. Unfortunately at least on paper, the 6d is not one of them.

Feb 13, 2013 at 06:27 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Sayeret18 wrote:

Yep...you nailed it.

Feb 13, 2013 at 06:38 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

chez wrote:
Yep...you nailed it.

Have you used the camera yet, or are you just going on specs??

Feb 13, 2013 at 06:50 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.