FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              9       10       end

Archive 2013 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Sayeret18
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-6d/

I'm not sure what to make of this. Seems like they are damning it with faint praise.

Feb 12, 2013 at 08:28 PM
J.D.
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

I was interested to read this bit:

Low-light focusing ability aside, the 6D offers the least sophisticated AF system of any full frame model on the market. A meager 11 point AF array, confined to a relatively small amount of viewfinder real estate, with only a single cross-type sensor, is then paired with a pedestrian shooting rate of well under 5 fps, putting the camera at a noticeable disadvantage even for those who only occasionally shoot action or sports.

For those of us who couldn't afford to or didn't need to update our crop bodies in the last few years, that makes little sense at all. Compromises had to be made to make the camera affordable and in many respects, those specifications are not that bad. "Least sophisticated" is as "least sophisticated" does.

People told me for years I couldn't shoot sports with a 10D but I did. This camera is, in sophistication terms, on a par with a 40D - a camera I still use regularly - but with other advantages.

Okay, compared with others, it's nothing spectacular but I think we've been blinded by technology to the point that the spec sheet rules over common sense.

Feb 12, 2013 at 08:48 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Well its true that in some ways nikon offer more for the same money in the d600.

Dual card slots, more and better af points (in general) faster frame rate etc.

Canon offer some stuff nikon doesnt though.

I also dont understand the restrictions on jpg only for HDR and multiple high iso nr shots. And if you switch HDR on you cant even select raw , and it doesnt tell you why.

Feb 12, 2013 at 08:52 PM
J.D.
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Yeah but how often do you need HDR?

Feb 12, 2013 at 08:56 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Frequently , but I just shoot bracketed (which is improved on the 6d anyhow) and blend in post anyhow.

But thats beside the point, its a poorly executed and restrictive option.

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:02 PM
J.D.
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Probably not as important for most prospective buyers as it is for you.

For those new to dSLR photography, there probably are better options. For those of us who have been shooting on crop bodies and have an interest in going to full frame, it represents a useful alternative. I've got a fair bit invested in Canon glass.

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:11 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

RobDickinson wrote:
Frequently , but I just shoot bracketed (which is improved on the 6d anyhow)..

Improved over the 5D3 or 5D2?

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:20 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

For those new to slr photography a FF body is probably overkill unless they have a specific requirement for subject isolation or low light shooting.

I happen to think the 6d is a fantastic camera and excellent value for money, far better all round than the 5d2 it replaces.

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:22 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Rickuz wrote:
Improved over the 5D3 or 5D2?

Over the 5d2. I assume its similar to the 5d3 but havnt done side by side tests, and the 5d3 shoots quicker which always helps.

I use magic lantern on the 5d2 for better bracketing but its relatively slow.

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:23 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Just read the review, it touched on both strengths and clear weaknesses when compared to the latest n greatest...but it's more of 'what have you done for me lately' BS, completely ignoring previous Canon FF bodies of which the 5Dc and 5D2 were both ground breaking non pro bodies.

The new supposed 5fps standard...what a joke.

A slanted review, yes a bit, but nothing really surprising and not damning by any means. The RAW HDR and video quibbles can probably be fixed with firmware. The video moire issue already has a 3rd party fix.

For a light weight, low cost Entry Level stills body; for us Canon devotees on a smallish budget, it hits the mark, more cross-type AF points would have been nice, but it's not a deal breaker for me. Can't wait to get one...try out that -3ev center point and will do so as soon as the price drops a tad more

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:30 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

StillFingerz wrote:
Just read the review, it touched on both strengths and clear weaknesses when compared to the latest n greatest...but it's more of 'what have you done for me lately' BS, completely ignoring previous Canon FF bodies of which the 5Dc and 5D2 were both ground breaking non pro bodies.

The new supposed 5fps standard...what a joke.

A slanted review, yes a bit, but nothing really surprising and not damning by any means. The RAW HDR and video quibbles can probably be fixed with firmware. The video moire issue already has a 3rd party fix.

For a light weight, low cost Entry Level
...Show more

I suspect dpreview's believes a portion of the targeted audience for their 6D review are those upgrading from an existing Canon FF body, such as the 5DM2. As such they really have no choice but to call out what the 6D lacks, esp in relation to competitor's offerings. It's mostly a paint-by-the-numbers review in that respect.

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:39 PM
neil_johnson

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Just curious from a Canon standpoint. What types of items can be enhanced from this list from a firmware release if Canon decided to do so?

Most of the differences between the D600 and 6D noted in the article for me are relatively minor but the autofocus still bothers me. While 11 points isn't the end of the world (although it is pretty bad in a camera around $2000), the spread of them does bother me. I would gladly give up GPS and in camera HDR for a few more autofocus points or more cross types in a better spread if for anything chasing kids around the house, shooting pets in the yard or tracking moving people during a wedding.

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:42 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

snapsy wrote:
I suspect dpreview's believes a portion of the targeted audience for their 6D review are those upgrading from an existing Canon FF body, such as the 5DM2. As such they really have no choice but to call out what the 6D lacks, esp in relation to competitor's offerings. It's mostly a paint-by-the-numbers review in that respect.

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:42 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

I dont think many will upgrade from 5d2's.

I think its a superior body but the difference isnt enough to make many shift.

Its targeted at rebel and 60d users looking for FF, and possibly 7d users (who might buy it as a second body).

Firmware wise they can add some features but nothing to change the overall feel of the review. They can fix the hdr jpg issue, the moire, uncompressed output etc.

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:45 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

If they think 5fps I'd slow, I hate to think what they say about the d800's 4fps. The d600 AF is directly from the cropped d7000. It's AF points are all centered. But 39 points sound better on paper. Hhaving said that oil leak aside it is a more complete camera than the 6d.... on paper.

Edited on Feb 13, 2013 at 01:21 AM · View previous versions

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:27 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Sorry, I'll always take a camera with poorer specs but fewer QC issues than one that is plaqued with all kinds of unexpected problems.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Geoff D F
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

To me the 6D is a dissappointing camera. That's not to be confused with saying that it can't take good pictures - it can, as can most DSLRs released since 2006. But it is dissappointing compared to what the competition is offering at a similar price point and it is dissappointing compared to what it might have been if it hadn't been hobbled by what looks like Canon's marketing department.

I can't believe there is a big cost saving in providing only one cross type AF, when even entry level rebels and 60Ds have all cross type points. Then there is the slower frame rate, smaller viewfinder, lower resolution and single card slot relative to the D600. And to make it worse Canon have tried to make it look professional by removing another useful feature namely the pop-up flash.

It has left a bitter taste in my mouth in Canon as a brand as a 60D and 5Dc owner looking to upgrade and according to some of you I am supposedly the target market.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:37 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

My 6d comes Friday, paired with a 24-105 at 2449 I consider this a heck of a camera at a great price, and the review doesn't change my opinion one bit. Looking forward to this as much as when I got my first ff 5d body back 7-8 years ago.

I have for 20 years now used focus/recompose with great success, the idea of doing better than the 7d in low light is amazing to me. Having owned and loved the 7d and its af. Read every page of the dp review and come away not "bothered" in the least by silver or whatever they use for categorizing. Saw no red flags or anything whatsoever that will impede my photography.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:45 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

J.D. wrote:
.....This camera is, in sophistication terms, on a par with a 40D - a camera I still use regularly - but with other advantages.

The unfortunate part is that in some aspects it doesn't even match the 40D. 40D has 9 cross AF points which work very well in low light. 6D on the other hand has only a center cross point like 5D and 5DII before it. I don't want 35 or 52 AF points, if I could even get 40D level outer AF point performance, I would be a happy camper. However Canon yet again has decided to keep it somewhat crippled. Other than that I like 6D.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:48 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Geoff D F wrote:
I can't believe there is a big cost saving in providing only one cross type AF, when even entry level rebels and 60Ds have all cross type points. Then there is the slower frame rate, smaller viewfinder, lower resolution and single card slot relative to the D600. And to make it worse Canon have tried to make it look professional by removing another useful feature namely the pop-up flash.

I was rather surprised by the single cross hair sensor when camera was first announced. Expected better since even DRebels now have all cross hair sensors. Resolution, single card slot and viewfinder (97% coverage is enough) are all fine.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:36 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.