New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

Well I ordered an L plate for my 5d-mkIII today. This means I decided to keep it and probably sell the 1DS3.
It was a really tough decision. The 5D-mkIII is just barely better than the 1DS3, and in many ways not as good. The things I noticed right away.

1ds3 pluses

1. Battery life, the 1DS3 walks all over the EP-6.
2. Keeping track of memory cards. So long as I turn off power to the 1DS3, it always stays on the same card. I always end up removing the wrong card for downloading with the 5D3, it switches cards no matter if power is off. That usually means a trip upstairs to get the other card.
3. Shutter for the viewfinder. I had to build one for the 5D3 to run FoCal micro adjust. The 1DS3 is built in.
4. Buttons for focus bracketing. The 5D3 is a menu option. The 1DS3 has two external buttons you can press for this.
5. Build quality. No two ways about it, the 1DS3 is better and doors have locks.
6. Af at f8. I once had a 400 f5.6 and the 1DS3 nailed BIF with a 1.4X attached. I hope the firmware update to the 5d3 works as well. I want to get another 400f5.6.

5D3 pluses.

1. The major one is the live view/LCD implementation. This is major and probably the deciding factor.
2. ISO performance is slightly better at ISO3200 but hard to see any at 1600 but the amp glow at 30 seconds is much reduced on the 5D3.
3. Lighter weight.
4. I think over time I will like the menu system and especially the ability to see and make major setting on the LCD. This is a big plus when shooting from an eye level tripod at night with gloves. Still need to remove a glove for some stuff, but I can usually work it with my lightweight inner glove.
5. AF seems to be better and more consistent, but not by much and I did some Focal Consistency tests to confirm. The 1DS-mk3 has been silently improved over the years by firmware changes and comes back from yearly service at Canon with better AF.
6. Dedicated C1,C2,C3 for camera settings. My 5D had this and I always missed it on the 1DS3.
7. Video. I doubt I ever use this but it is a difference.
8. Bulit-in level, but it does not agree with my spirit levels, all three of which agree with each other.

Too soon to tell. I have a hard time telling a 1DS3 from a 5D3 file, even at long shutter ISO1600 moonlit shots. The corners might be a bit cleaner on the 5D3, less amp glow there.

I doubt I miss the grip on the 1DS3, I use an L plate for verticals and mostly shot with a cable release. I will not use a plug in grip on the 5D3. But I will have more than one spare battery.

I have small hands, and am getting too old to haul a monster around. I sold most of my primes and have a smaller lightweight system now. Just need to replace my heavy aluminum tripod with a carbon model.

Feb 12, 2013 at 07:32 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

Ben, looks like you've got a new very capable image maker in your hands, hope it works well for you, thank you for your write-up/thoughts on the two bodies.

Really look forward to any additional 5D3 findings/thoughts you may discover with it's usage, and certainly am awaiting some of your future imagery...

Jerry

Feb 12, 2013 at 08:46 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

No color difference noticed? Really?

Feb 12, 2013 at 08:58 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

I think you are barely scratching the surface with the 5d3's capabilities based on your listing of the pluses.

HDSLR is epic on with this camera. Some may not use it but still shouldn't discount it.
Silent mode. It's incredible how quiet the 5d3 is.
Superb and full 3:2 ration with the LCD
The 5d3's high ISO is incredible. It really differentiates itself at high ISOs.
I really enjoy the spot AF on all AF points.
Then there's the 63-zone iFCL vs the old 35 zone. I believe iFCL takes a few other factors into account so you ought to get more accurate metering.

One thing you miss with the 1ds3 is the AF linked spot metering. A great and useful feature.

This is not to say the 1ds3 is a slouch. It is an incredible camera. It just goes to show how good the 5d3 is as a complete package.

Feb 12, 2013 at 08:59 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

I haven't noticed it from 1DSIII to 5D3, but I think my 5D3 beats my old 1DIII's for colors.

For colors I think I would vote 5D3 > 1DIV
1DIV>1DIII
1DIII>7D

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:00 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

Mescalamba wrote:
No color difference noticed? Really?

I use a McBeth color checker to profile all my cameras.

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:48 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

M Lucca wrote:
I think you are barely scratching the surface with the 5d3's capabilities based on your listing of the pluses.

HDSLR is epic on with this camera. Some may not use it but still shouldn't discount it.
Silent mode. It's incredible how quiet the 5d3 is.
Superb and full 3:2 ration with the LCD
The 5d3's high ISO is incredible. It really differentiates itself at high ISOs.
I really enjoy the spot AF on all AF points.
Then there's the 63-zone iFCL vs the old 35 zone. I believe iFCL takes a few other factors into account so you ought to get more accurate metering.

One thing
...Show more

I am still reading the manual. But correct me if wrong, the HDR is jpg? I never use jpg.

I tested the ISO, 1600 is usable with NR, my tolerance for noise is zero. I seldom have problems with metering, I am a very deliberate tripod landscape guy. I bracket anyway and sometimes blend but almost never need to as I usually get at least one image good enough to work alone.

I would have loved spot AF when I was doing birds, but not now. I either use center af or manual focus.

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:53 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

StillFingerz wrote:
Ben, looks like you've got a new very capable image maker in your hands, hope it works well for you, thank you for your write-up/thoughts on the two bodies.

Really look forward to any additional 5D3 findings/thoughts you may discover with it's usage, and certainly am awaiting some of your future imagery...

Jerry

Thanks. I shot for prints and my workflow and calibrations are all geared to that end. I no longer make stuff for web. I find the two work flows incompatible.

I went out yesterday for some real landscapes but he weather was horrible, and has been that way for a month or more. My next photo trip is end of March.

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:57 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

By the way, there is a viewfinder cover on the strap, just read about it in the manual. Not very elegant, but it is better than cardboard and tape.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:14 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

Ben, your website is bookmarked and I read it often; look over your images, there is a ton of stellar info to digest, I've recently discovered gDan's site as well as others. All your images are truly inspiring, you shoot in places I'll never visit and I am grateful for you putting your private art online for all to enjoy.

I've just begun printing, there's so much to learn, it's another journey to enjoy and your insights are greatly valued...

Jerry

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

The Viewfinder, the viewfinder blackout time and shutter lag is also better on the 1Ds3

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:51 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

5D3 has 6fps, 1Ds3 does not

1Ds3 has voice memos, 5D3 does not

1Ds3 might have workable AutoISO, 5D3 does not

5D3 has instant jump to 100% view (so convenient and saves a lot of time)

5D3 has much nicer UI (IMO anyway)

5D3 isn't a damn brick , 1Ds3 is

1Ds3 has replacement viewfinder screens, 5D3 doesn't

1Ds3 has less banding junk and a bit less read noise at ISO100-200 (but the DR is already worse by ISO800 and probably even ISO400 on the 1Ds3, noticeably so by ISO1600-3200)

1Ds3 is less color-blind under natural lighting (hard to say how much and in what ways and when this matters)

I believe the 5D3 has a larger buffer

5D3 has spot AF (I think the 1Ds3 either doesn't or doesn't always with some lenses, I forget)

Edited on Feb 12, 2013 at 11:17 PM · View previous versions

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Matt Howell

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

M Lucca said: "HDSLR is epic on with this camera. Some may not use it but still shouldn't discount it."

He was talking about video, not HDR. Video as in HD 1080p shot by an SLR, thus HDSLR.

And it is epic on the 5D3. Here is a well done example.

Even the most jaded anti-video folks might admit that it looks great.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:16 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

Eh, what's so bad about the autoISO on the 5D3? Granted it's not amazing, but it's certainly workable.

Also - focus bracketing? Did you mean AEB bracketing or is there some awesome thing my 5D3 can do that I don't know about? (I'm hoping the latter!)

Edited on Feb 13, 2013 at 12:01 AM · View previous versions

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

Hope you enjoy your new camera. I'm truly enjoying mine, however, no plans on selling my 1ds3. I'm very used to switching between 1 series and 5 series and enjoy the attributes of both.
Happy shooting and looking forward to seeing images with your 5d3.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:37 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

skibum5 wrote:
1Ds3 might have workable AutoISO, 5D3 does not

?

My 1Ds3 has no auto ISO at all that I know of

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:41 AM
svetljo

[X]
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

there is "iso safety shift" that could be used as auto iso to some extent :-)

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:52 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

svetljo wrote:
there is "iso safety shift" that could be used as auto iso to some extent :-)

Yes I know of that but compared to the 5D3's completely customisable ISO the 1Ds3 is out of the Ark

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:54 AM
svetljo

[X]
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

yes, out of the Ark

but still has metering linked to AF point (like 1V)

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:57 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

cputeq wrote:
Eh, what's so bad about the autoISO on the 5D3? Granted it's not amazing, but it's certainly workable.

Also - focus bracketing? Did you mean AEB bracketing or is there some awesome thing my 5D3 can do that I don't know about? (I'm hoping the latter!)

Yep I meant exposure bracketing, a typo, sorry. The 5D3 is not bad, if I can learn to access it from the LCD menu thingy.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.