Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Old Pier

Ed Swift
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Old Pier

An old pier i saw when heading back from lunch one day. I've been early enough to work the last couple of days to be able to get some morning shots, if not technically sunrise.

It's been nicely misty though which almost hides the mountains/hills on the other side of the river.

C&C appreciated. I also tried a panorama, but it is refusing to stitch properly so i think another return visit is needed.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Old Pier

Hi Ed,
I'm double minded about this one. In the begining i thought it may look better as B&W and that the pier is too far off to the right.

now..after looking at it for a while...its growing on me the way it is, the subtle reflection of the clouds in the water...just seems like a nice wall hanger.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Old Pier

I know exactly what you mean. It was about the closest angle I could get to still see nicely through the supports, which meant it was further over. I think it'll be going in next years calendar and we'll see how it looks in print.

I went back today in the snow & mist and got a shot from the other side which i think works better. Will post it tonight.

Thanks for the time to comment.

Feb 13, 2013 at 09:01 AM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Old Pier

Here is today's offering:

Feb 13, 2013 at 08:05 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Old Pier

Definitly like today's offering...this place could rock on a clear day

Feb 13, 2013 at 09:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fo Tollery
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Old Pier

I like the way you've used the foreground in today's offering, but the original suits my taste better overall.....even if it does beg to be converted to b&w.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Old Pier

Thanks Sunny, Fo.

After I uploaded the second one I converted both to black and white. I think the second looks great, but the first seems a little grey in the actual pier and I need to go back and do some selective adjustments to get the wood looking good without blowing out all the sky/water.

This is a lovely place to look out from when it's clear. It's always nice to be able to see the mountains and my journey to work is made more enjoyable on the days when a snow capped Ben Lomond (next to Loch Lomond) can be seen from the motorway.

Feb 14, 2013 at 01:34 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Old Pier

Hey Ed,

What a cool old pier. I like the minimalistic feel with the sky you are getting. I am really liking #2 with those rocks.

Jim

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:26 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Old Pier

Thanks very much Jim. I'm not sure what it was used for as even at high tide I think the water would be too low for boats to load there.

Here is my B&W of the first picture. I used 1 gradient map to convert to B&W, then selected only the pier and did another gradient map with the white stop moved left.

Feb 14, 2013 at 08:34 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password