New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · My switch to Full Frame- D600

UsseryG
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My switch to Full Frame- D600

So it has been a few weeks of me playing with my new D600, my first full frame body, not including my film bodies. So, how has the switch going? Just OK so far. I am trying to get used to the framing.

I find it hard to fill the frame on this body. I knew before hand that this would be something to get used to, but I didn't think it would be this extreme. On my D7000, 50mm was my favorite lens. Now, I can't get the frame full to save my life, so I have started using my 85mm a whole lot more, and this has been helping a lot. I have always been primarily a prime shooter, but I did start photography out with a zoom lens. I feel like I should pick up a zoom, most likely the Tamron 28-75mm or the Nikon 24-85 VR kit lens, until I find which range I use the most.

On another note, my D600 has rekindled my love of my 70-300 VR. This lens is just so sharp, and fun to use. It is finally not too long on the short end, and the long end is long enough for catching pics of sledders.

Of course I will keep my D7000, because it is a great body with great features, and acts as a TC for my lenses .

So, the problems I have are user error. I need to practice more getting closer, filling that beautiful full frame. This is what was fun when I first got into photography, the learning!

Feb 12, 2013 at 01:02 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My switch to Full Frame- D600

You might want to expand your horizons a bit and pick up a few Nikon MF lenses that play so well with FX cameras. With the non-CPU register in both your D600 and D7000 these MF lenses will meter with your camera. You can pick up lenses at rock bottom prices and explore to your hearts content. You might find the experience pleasurable as have so many photographers hanging out on the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread in this forum. These old lenses perform very well on the newest DSLR cameras, as you'll discover if you check the thread. If you do, you'll find the D600 photos in the last few hundred pages.

Congratulations on your new camera. Have fun!

Feb 12, 2013 at 01:24 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My switch to Full Frame- D600

manual focus is SO SUPER fun. To be honest, I have not owned an AF lens in years - except for the 85mm 1.8G I had for a month or so.

I am still getting used to my D700. I had a 1Ds for years, so I still am learning live view and such. I know on the D7000 there is a virtual horizon, but I cannot figure out how to use that on the D700.

Manual focusing on the D700 is super easy. I just picked up a Nikkor 200mm f/4 for $111 shipped and it is supposed to be super tack sharp!

Feb 12, 2013 at 01:39 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My switch to Full Frame- D600

You're drunk the Kool Aid Dustin...

I couldn't be happier for you.

Feb 12, 2013 at 01:45 PM
Reagan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My switch to Full Frame- D600

They won't be "Rock Bottom Prices" if you keep encouraging people

Reagan

Feb 12, 2013 at 01:58 PM
UsseryG
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My switch to Full Frame- D600

Dustin, that 200mm f4 sounds like something I could get into. Is it Ai, or Ai-s or something else?

Feb 12, 2013 at 06:30 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.