Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · How to use flash meter with trigger Yongnuo 603C?

hvu2012
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to use flash meter with trigger Yongnuo 603C?

Hi,
I'm relatively new to the forum. I've been searching the answer, but couldn't find it and i hope someone can give hints. Here the question: Could someone help or walk me through the steps how to measure flash reading using flash meter?

I have Yongnuo 603C, Canon 550EX on stand and 5DII, light meter Gossen Luna Pro Digital F

1. Yongnuo 603C on 5DII
2. another Yongnuo 603C on stand with 550EX
3. I have an extra Yongnuo 603C

Thanks very much.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:22 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to use flash meter with trigger Yongnuo 603C?

I'm not familiar with the 603C, so I don't know if it can be used both to trigger a slave flash and receive a shutter release signal, but I doubt it. So you'd need a fourth 603C in order to use two for triggering the lights and two for tripping the shutter.

Although not as convenient, it would be simpler and cheaper to trip the camera using "sneaker net." That is, trip the camera using the self timer, then walk over to the subject position with the light meter, press the measuring button on the meter, and wait for the flash to go off. You have 45 seconds after pressing the M button on the meter, so the timing isn't a real issue.

I do just this with my Sekonic flash meter, because although it has a built-in Pocket Wizard transmitter I don't have any Pocket Wizard receivers. It works just fine, and I get a little exercise in the bargain.

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:53 PM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to use flash meter with trigger Yongnuo 603C?

I used the rf602 with my L-358 sekonic meter via the pc sync port (on the meter).
no need for the camera body, just wire the 603 to the pc port on the meter, that should allow the meter to trigger the 603 and thus the flash attached to another 603.
(I'm assuming the 603 has the pc port like the 602 does.... and the 602's pc port is bi-directional)

I found the handbook for your meter here (pdf)... http://goo.gl/5KnNI

hth

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:20 PM
hvu2012
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to use flash meter with trigger Yongnuo 603C?

Thanks. It's very helpful tips.

to BrianO:
In fact, with my current setup, i can stand by subject, use 3rd 603c as a remote to trigger the shutter. However, i'm not sure i follow you with two 603's method. Timer is a great idea. I'll try out tonight.

to gpop:
So, all i need is PC-to-PC sync cable from meter to the back of 603C. However, i read somewhere (don't recall) that 603 port is output only. By the way, thanks for the link to manual.

So, when meter read measurement, i guess it's Fstop and speed, then i just set that numbers on camera?

Thanks

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:13 PM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to use flash meter with trigger Yongnuo 603C?

I don't know the 603's, but the 602 used it's own special socket, however it shipped with a pc cable and a shutter trigger (body specific). if the 603 is like the 602, it'll have a 3 pin connector, rather than the standard pc socket. this can still be used assuming you got the cable - and I'm right about the style of connector.
if the 603 can be used as a shutter trigger, then the socket will be bi-directional (and even have the half-press function)

so just attach the cable from the 603 to your meter, and set up your light(s) on the other 603(s).

another method you may be able to use is that your meter may have a function that tells it to wait until it can 'see' the flash go off and it'll measure at that point. that is to say that you put your meter into 'wait' mode, trigger it, then activate the flash (no cables attached to the meter) and it'll take its reading.

>>So, when meter read measurement, i guess it's Fstop and speed, then i just set that numbers on camera?<<

if I'm not metering for any ambient light, I'll set the iso on the meter to match the body, set the shutter speed on both meter and body to a safe sync speed (such as 1/125, depending on your body) and the meter will return the proper aperture setting for the lens (such as F8).

if you're mixing flash and ambient, you'll need to learn your meter, it may have a 'mixed metering' function that will return a fraction or percentage of ambient /flash.

I'm only barely familiar with my L358, so I can't tell you much more than that.

I've used the yongnuo 602s for a few years and I've been very happy with them. my understanding is that the 603 is a step up (rx and tx in one unit), but that they can't be mixed with the 602. I assume they retain the shutter trigger function (same used to trigger the meter).

I'm sure you know this, but the 602/603 can't be used with ettl, manual flash settings only.

Feb 12, 2013 at 05:18 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to use flash meter with trigger Yongnuo 603C?

hvu2012 wrote:
to BrianO: In fact, with my current setup, i can stand by subject, use 3rd 603c as a remote to trigger the shutter. However, i'm not sure i follow you with two 603's method.

As I said, I'm not familiar with the 603C. If you have one on a light stand with Speedlite attached, and one on your camera acting as a shutter release, and the third one in your hand to trigger the camera, will the one on the camera also trigger the light in sync when you press the shutter release?

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:58 PM
hvu2012
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to use flash meter with trigger Yongnuo 603C?

Uhm...i think trigger on camera also trigger the flash, but i have to try it .
thanks.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:19 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.