Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Help: Shockproof/waterproof P&S under $250??

trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Help: Shockproof/waterproof P&S under $250??

I don't ask for much around here, but my Daughter's goin' on her honeymoon...so I'm makin' an exception.
PLEASE: only hands-on users need reply. Pretty simple, what brand/model will git 'er done for ~$250.
Thanks for takin' the time to help out FM's #1 primate.

She's been lookin' at an Olympus Tough TG-820 for $199 can we do any better

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:35 PM
uscmatt99
• •
p.1 #2 · Help: Shockproof/waterproof P&S under $250??

Never owned an Oly tough camera, sorry.

I have a Nikon AW-100 and previously had a Panasonic TS-2 (now they are up to TS-4). The Panasonic served us well for about 2 years, several beach trips, many pool trips. The lens is much better on the wide end and sucks at the tele end. The Nikon has seen 2 trips to the beach, IQ is realistically the same. All of these tiny lens waterproof cams seem to do better at the wide end. All flare like gangbusters.

The Nikon closure mechanism inspires more confindence than the Panasonic did. For any of these cameras, the key is to immediately submerge them in a bowl or glass of water after saltwater use, for 30 minutes. Then dry it off, carefully open the hatch, and soak up any leftover water before it drips into the camera internals. Both cameras would trap some water at the gaskets. The Nikon closure is tighter than the Panasonic with a "safer" lock mechanism. I got lazy with the Panasonic, often after too many Coronas, and that spelled doom when internal rust showed up

The Nikon has one neat feature where you can push a big button on the side and shake the camera to scroll through scene modes. It's surprisingly not a bad alternative to menu diving with the tiny 4-way pad. I use it to switch between beach mode and underwater mode. By the way, no meaningful manual controls.

Both cameras have survived drops from toddler height, no problem, to concrete or hard wood. In the "off-season" it's my 3-year-old's camera

Feb 12, 2013 at 06:50 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Help: Shockproof/waterproof P&S under $250??

Thanks for that, Matt....appreciate the details provided.

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:13 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password