Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Full Frame question

mfrank999
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Full Frame question

I have the d7000 and use a nikon 300mm f4 lens for BIF.
Many of the birds come in pretty close.
If I get the D600 or D800 I still want to use the same lens.
My question is if I take my 70-300 lens and set it to 200mm on my D7000 am I getting the same affect as if I was shooting full frame with my 300mm f4 lens so that I can see what is will be like?
Thanks

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:55 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Full Frame question

That's correct BUT the beauty of the D800...it allows for 1.2 & 1.5 crop modes.
The IQ is actually better shootin' my 300 f4 on the D800 in DX than the same shot with the D7K, SOOC.
It'll blow ya away and the AF is much better than either the D7K or the D600 you're considering. MUCH!!

NIKON D800    300mm    f/5.6    1/1600s    160 ISO    -0.7 EV  

...add a TC-17E II in 1.2X and you get this (effective 600mm) handheld :O

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:03 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Full Frame question

You just have to remember to keep your subject inside the box!

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:46 PM
mfrank999
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Full Frame question

Hello Tm.
Your photos are absolutely great!
I did try the D800 at the local shop.
My Imac took 30 minutes to load 186 photos on I photo.
I then tried editing and it took about 30 seconds for every setting that I changed ie: sharpening etc.
I shot in Full Frame and Raw.
If I shoot in 1.2 or 1.5 what are the sizes of the files?
Do you shoot raw or jpeg?

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:52 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Full Frame question

Thanks!
I'm strictly a Jpeg SOOC guy, lil crop here and there. I shoot Lg/Fine/Optimal. I'm on a 4 yr old 24" iMac
and ~200 shots takes just a few minutes. Yet I can print 16 X 20 100% crops with my files all day long.

Feb 12, 2013 at 05:00 PM
mfrank999
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Full Frame question

Based on your photos I would be very happy with the quality of jpegs.
If you have to bring out shadows can you do so in jpeg?

Feb 12, 2013 at 05:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mfrank999
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Full Frame question

in shooting jpeg large how many mp is each file compared to raw?
is it the same 36mp.?

Feb 12, 2013 at 06:17 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Full Frame question

mfrank999 wrote:
Based on your photos I would be very happy with the quality of jpegs.
If you have to bring out shadows can you do so in jpeg?

Take my view with a grain of salt as I am no pro nor anywhere near the virtuoso of the monkey..

I shoot with a D800. The JPG's are amazing, but you have to learn your camera and it's settings. I always shoot JPG (Largesize, optimal, fine) + RAW. One card for JPG's and the other for the RAW's

I will usually import all the JPG's. I will take a good look and cull the bad ones. If there are a few pictures where I need to raise the shadows dramatically or do some heavy correction or pp, then I will import the RAW just for those particular pictures. The rest where the JPG's suffice, I delete those RAW's. This usually leaves me say, for a 100 jpg's, with 5-10 raws for additional pp.

It depends a lot on how you shoot and how versed you are with your camera (meaning, learning it through and through). Also, it depends on the contrast of the scene (need to raise shadows while having exposed to protect the highlights).

When you shoot the D800 on the crop modes, the RAW files become smaller the higher the crop factor (1>1.2>1.5) since you are discarding pixels in the crops..

And yes, when you shoot the JPG's in large, you get the same 36MP's of the RAW... when you go medium, you get less MP's (can't recall the number from memory) and so on...

Feb 12, 2013 at 06:27 PM
mfrank999
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Full Frame question

I assume the quality of the photos go down as well when shooting large vs. medium?

Feb 12, 2013 at 06:41 PM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Full Frame question

mfrank999 wrote:
Hello Tm.
Your photos are absolutely great!
I did try the D800 at the local shop.
My Imac took 30 minutes to load 186 photos on I photo.
I then tried editing and it took about 30 seconds for every setting that I changed ie: sharpening etc.
I shot in Full Frame and Raw.
If I shoot in 1.2 or 1.5 what are the sizes of the files?
Do you shoot raw or jpeg?

There is some problem with your iMac perhaps. I had the same worry before I bought the D800 with my iMac (2009, 2.5Ghz, i5) but I honestly don't have any issues at all. I upped the iMac memory to it's max of 16GB (memory is cheap and it's very very easy to do it yourself) and made sure I had a fast remote HD on which all my D800 files are stored (backed up via to another slower remote HD) and not stored in Aperture. Some changes aren't immediate (but most are) and lag at most maybe 3-5 secs (after they have been turned into 70MB TIFF files).

Feb 12, 2013 at 06:47 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Full Frame question

mfrank999 wrote:
I assume the quality of the photos go down as well when shooting large vs. medium?

Not as much as the quality but the pixel count, the megapixel number.

This means, if you shoot in medium or small instead of large, you get less megapixels. In conclusion, you cannot print as big or crop as much as if you were shooting Large instead.

Quality (or rather, the amount of compression on the file) is controlled by the "basic, normal & fine" settings. This only affects jpg's and is irrelevant for raw's.

Feb 12, 2013 at 06:52 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password