New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Nikkor*ED 300 f/4.5 IF AI-s hood tightening/removal

sataraid1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikkor*ED 300 f/4.5 IF AI-s hood tightening/removal

I have a Nikkor*ED 300 f/4.5 IF AI-s with a really loose hood. I'd be okay with simply adding some black gaffer's tape along the barrel under the hood, but I can't really reach the area where the tape would do any good without removing it. Is there a quick and dirty trick to shoring up the hood? It doesn't have to be pretty.

Alternatively, there is a set of small screws on the barrel of the lens, that fall under the base of the hood when fully retracted. If these are loosened, does that allow the hood and sleeve to be removed? I've seen exploded diagrams of this lens, but I'm still not sure if that's the trick.

It would seem that if I could get that sleeve to come off, I could then slide the loose hood off the back, add the tape, and re-install it.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:30 AM
Reagan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikkor*ED 300 f/4.5 IF AI-s hood tightening/removal

Take a hammer and screwdriver and pry it off or sell the whole thing to me for a $100

Reagan

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:01 PM
sataraid1

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikkor*ED 300 f/4.5 IF AI-s hood tightening/removal

Reagan wrote:
Take a hammer and screwdriver and pry it off or sell the whole thing to me for a $100

Sneaky, sneaky ....

It would appear at the moment that I'm the only person in the history of the lens that's ever needed to tighten the fit of the hood.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:16 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikkor*ED 300 f/4.5 IF AI-s hood tightening/removal

sataraid1 wrote:
Sneaky, sneaky ....

It would appear at the moment that I'm the only person in the history of the lens that's ever needed to tighten the fit of the hood.

No, when I had mine it was a tad loose. To get the hood loose you need to be able to take the front ring off that the hood slides on - it's certainly doable with the right tools. Then you'd need to either replace the felt inside or put some tape on the lip of that ring to tighten it up.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:32 PM
raboof
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikkor*ED 300 f/4.5 IF AI-s hood tightening/removal

I don't know if you got this fixed but I just did some work on the hood of my lens. Yes, the three screws needed to be removed to take out the hood. Adjust the removable metal strip inside the hood and it will be tight again.

The removal of those screws does not interfere with the optics at all.

Mar 07, 2013 at 11:40 AM
sataraid1

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikkor*ED 300 f/4.5 IF AI-s hood tightening/removal

Thanks, raboof ... I hadn't done anything further with it until after reading your message. Your confirmation of the correct screws prompted me to get on with it. I was all set up with a camera to document the process as well.

Unfortunately, I'm finding that the torque on those screws to be very high. All the screwdrivers I have that fit the screw are themselves too small to get enough torque to turn them! At the first sign of stripping the screws, I stopped. I'll either have to invest in a better, larger driver if I want to get that sleeve off.

Mar 14, 2013 at 06:57 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.