Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 10 Stop ND Filters:Non-coating vs Coating?

CarlG
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 10 Stop ND Filters:Non-coating vs Coating?

I've been in search of an 82mm 10-stop ND filter (coated) for months now and have come up empty. I do have an option of picking up a B&W or Heliopan uncoated version since those are showing as "in stock" in many locations. The need has become greater because of an upcoming trip to shoot in the Sierras and Death Valley in two weeks.

A single coating or multi-coated filter is my preferred choice but since I only have access to a non-coated version, what do I risk in using one? The obvious answer is glare but if shooting primarily at sunrise or sunset, with the sun at my back, is this a risk to be really concerned about? I need the 10 stops and it must be able to fit my Canon 16-35 MK II (82mm).

Thanks in advance.

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:06 PM
Mark Sisco
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 10 Stop ND Filters:Non-coating vs Coating?

I'm in the same boat. These filters are impossible to find, other than Singh-Ray's 10-stop fixed ND which is more than I'm willing to pay. And I am not interested in any of the variable ND's.

All I can find available are non-coated ones from B&W and Heliopan. But I have no idea how they would stand-up quality wise, if they would be terribly prone to flare or other problems.

There must be SOMEONE out there with experience or opinions!

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:35 PM
eSchwab
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 10 Stop ND Filters:Non-coating vs Coating?

I've stacked weaker uncoated ND's and shot against the sun. There is a noticeable loss in contrast and some weird color shifts towards green. I would think 1 uncoated ND will have a very minor effect on image quality but could easily be fixed in post.

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:40 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 10 Stop ND Filters:Non-coating vs Coating?

carl/Mark,
Have you thought of going the way of Lee filter system holder? or the Cokin Z i think takes the Lee filters also. The Lee 10 stop is very nice.

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:21 PM
Mark Sisco
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 10 Stop ND Filters:Non-coating vs Coating?

Sunny, How are you?

I've thought about the Lee Big Stopper, but last I checked it was out of stock everywhere, too.

But I'm all ears and certainly not opposed to this approach. Will do more searching for the Lee.

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:49 PM
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 10 Stop ND Filters:Non-coating vs Coating?

I went through same ordeal few weeks ago. Settled on 9-stop multi-coat Hoya instead. Happy so far with quality.

Feb 13, 2013 at 05:09 PM
Mark Sisco
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 10 Stop ND Filters:Non-coating vs Coating?

753951 wrote:
I went through same ordeal few weeks ago. Settled on 9-stop multi-coat Hoya instead. Happy so far with quality.

Where?

Feb 13, 2013 at 06:16 PM
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 10 Stop ND Filters:Non-coating vs Coating?

http://maxsaver.net/Hoya-82mm-Neutral-Density---ND---400x-HMC-Glass-Filter.aspx

Took 10 days to arrive.

Feb 13, 2013 at 06:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 10 Stop ND Filters:Non-coating vs Coating?

Another option for a strong 4x4 ND filter:
The HiTech or Formatt version of the strong ND is the Pro Stop. Its more durable than the Lee Big Stopper which is a thinner glass and breaks easily. Also its a less expensive. The Lee is known to have a cool, blue cast but its easier to correct than the magenta cast often seen in other filters. I have seen ads saying they have various ND strengths 8,9,10 and various large sizes 100mm, 135 etc.
Here is a review
http://blog.robertstrachan.com/archives/1314/hitech-pro-stop-review/
Mike K

Feb 13, 2013 at 08:12 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 10 Stop ND Filters:Non-coating vs Coating?

Thanks, all.

Still hunting for the elusive 82mm coated, circular version from somewhere. I'll have to roll the dice and settle for a non-coated version for this upcoming trip. It's still months before anyone says they'll have the coated versions in stock, best case scenario. It makes you wonder why they can't make enough of these. Are the raw materials that scarce?

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 10 Stop ND Filters:Non-coating vs Coating?

Call these folks: www.2filter.com 1-800-882-2832 if this is what you want...

B+W 82mm F Pro MrC 110 ND Filter only 82mm Multicoated 10 stop in the world. $277.71
made in Germany with Schott ND Glass, extremely netural

Scroll to bottom of page

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:29 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 10 Stop ND Filters:Non-coating vs Coating?

Wobble - thanks. But I called them first, weeks ago, and they won't have them in stock until April, at least. They are very nice people, though.....very apologetic!

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 10 Stop ND Filters:Non-coating vs Coating?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1184917/0?keyword=82mm#11298270
not sure if this fits into what youre looking for

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Jim Servies
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 10 Stop ND Filters:Non-coating vs Coating?

Carl - +1 on 2filter. Andrea is a sweetheart and a tremendous asset to their company. I just picked up two 8 stop filters to stack for some long exposure work I have coming up.

I replied to your message before reading this thread. You're more than welcome to take my filter and use it for your trip. If you like it just Paypal me the funds. With your feedback ... no worries. Just let me know. Have a great week!

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:47 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 10 Stop ND Filters:Non-coating vs Coating?

Thanks, Dpedraza!! Glad you posted that link!!
And thanks, Jim - looking forward to receiving it.

Carl

Feb 16, 2013 at 02:49 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password