Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · My 1st attempt at Sports..Hockey

jaylee73
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My 1st attempt at Sports..Hockey

I finally found some time to try my 300 f/2.8 IS for hockey. My buddy coaches his daughters hockey team and asked me to take some photos. These were taken from the bench with my 5d3 and 300 f/2.8 IS I. I had fun and am looking for tips and tricks for improving.
Thanks,

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:01 PM
jaylee73
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My 1st attempt at Sports..Hockey

I've noticed that others place the metadata below the photos when posting. Is there a fast way to do this rather than manually entering?

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:04 PM
pjbuehner
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My 1st attempt at Sports..Hockey

One and five are your best shots IMO. The others are either too loosely cropped (2) or too tight (3). You could even crop #1 tighter by removing some of the dead space above her
Having the puck in the shot adds to the picture tremendously as in 1. When it isn't in the shot, there should be either a really nice portrait or some other compelling action.
Also, looking at #3 you can see that the focus is on the knee rather than the face. Do you use the orientation sensitive AF points with the 5DIII? If not, I would suggest practicing with it (and get the grip if you plan on shooting a lot of sports...it is a must have for sports shooting) because in hockey there is usually enough contrast in the helmet for the focus to lock on. Place the AF point on the helmet and keep it there. surrounding expansion points can help too.
The first image is very nice. Well done.
Keep Shooting,
Peter

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Chad Bassman
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My 1st attempt at Sports..Hockey

Yes, next to the choose file there's a box titled show exif, check that for the metadata. Thanks for posting, these look pretty good. Keep at it!

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

amlsml
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My 1st attempt at Sports..Hockey

I love 5!! Check out the hockey post by Dj, great info to help you learn.

Feb 12, 2013 at 01:38 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My 1st attempt at Sports..Hockey

While I tend to be a believer in tight crops, I actually like #2 a lot with the loose crop because you've nailed focus on your subject amidst the chaos that likely characterizes hockey at this level. I also like #5--a puck on her stick sure would have added to it.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:10 PM
jaylee73
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My 1st attempt at Sports..Hockey

Hi All..Thanks for the feedback
I do agree with Peterís comments. #1 and 5 were my favourites as well, in fact I made 8x10 prints of these for my friend. I do use a grip but need to practice focusing on moving subjects.
Iím going to take these pointers and try to get out again soon.

Feb 12, 2013 at 05:01 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password