Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

cputeq
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

Okay guys and gals, I have to get this off my chest before I punch a hole in the wall of my newly renovated home.

I will never, ever use FedEx ever again. Even if it means I have to pay more for UPS or USPS. They are the most inept delivery company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. This isn't their first faux pas but certainly their best so far.

---

Rant begin:

So I order a lens rental scheduled to arrive today. It's pretty damn important because it's a 17mm TS-E lens I'm using to shoot my house photos with. I'll be staging my home and shooting for about two days because I'm moving NEXT Monday - so it's very important and I've got limited time to shoot before I actually have to pack the contents of my house.

I watch tracking all day like a freaking hawk. Either myself or my wife are home at all times to get the rental, to be ready for the initial outdoors shot first thing tomorrow morning.

So it's 7:54 and still "On vehicle for delivery". Then, magically, it turned into "DELAYED DELIVERY DUE TO WEATHER."

Strike 1 - This is complete bullcrap. I know the area, and they're delivering from an area not 6 miles away as the crow flies. There was LIGHT drizzle today. That's it.

So I call their 1-800 customer "service" and start speaking firmly but respectfully to a lady. I tell her "yes mam, I was scheduled for a delivery today but the tracking says weather delay and I know that's not true."

She takes the tracking, starts to say "Hey I've got..." then extremely abruptly puts me on hold while she gets her story straight.

Comes back "Yes sir in the origination area they did in fact have a weather delay."

Strike 2 - This is a complete lie. I pull up a weather map and it's clear in my area AND their area and it's been like this for 5 hours.

So then I ask if I do a "hold at location" when can I get this package.

Again, another abrupt hold with no warning. She comes back with a location and says they will deliver this package to that location tonight and I can pick it up tomorrow morning.

I call the destination center and the nice lady there says "Sir I've been with the company almost 13 years. They will not deliver tonight. Furthermore my ground guys usually get here past my express guys but we'll see when it comes it."

Strike 3 for general asshattery.

Sorry folks had to vent. It's a 17mm TS-E that I was going to practice with tonight to make good use of tomorrow. Looks like that's out the window.

Sorry it's pretty much OT also - I won't be mad if Fred locks it

Thankfully the company I'm renting it from has about 1000% better customer service than FedEx, so I'll give em an email asking if they can just adjust my rental price by the lost day - Extending it a day is useless since I really, really freaking needed it tomorrow morning and Wednesday

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:21 PM
dwerther
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

That's unusual for my experience with FedEx. Maybe you just caught the night of the company party or something.

So, you get mad to 11? Most guys only get mad to 10. Are you any madder?

Well, I guess you're one madder. Most blokes you know will be mad at 10. They're all the way mad and where can you go from there? Nowhere. So I guess if you need that extra push over the cliff, you can put it up to 11. One madder.

I guess the reason you don't make ten the top number and just get a little madder is simple.

You can go to 11.

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:36 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

Haha thanks for the laugh. Your profile states TX but your humor is British in nature, even without the "bloke"
(I have no idea if I am right)

And yes I can go to 11. It is sorta like doing heavy shadow lifting with a Canon...it is never pretty and typically hurts more than it helps!

And I really think troubles like this are area-dependent. FedEx has been troublesome service here for years, and I am unsure why when UPS has no notable problems to speak of. I know others think the opposite, etc.

Edited on Feb 11, 2013 at 09:48 PM · View previous versions

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:44 PM
lowa2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

I used to get mad at delivery people....but it happened so many times that I a now used to it!

Sucks to hear about your luck, I've been screwed by every courrier except Purolator. They are a little more money than everyone else, but they are always on time (in my area anyways).

Charles

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:47 PM
t3nchi
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

What in the world are you ranting about?

dwerther
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

You do know where that 11 bit comes from, right?

cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

dwerther wrote:
You do know where that 11 bit comes from, right?

After rereading it......quiet Riot? Argh I know but I dont.

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:49 PM
dwerther
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

cputeq wrote:
After rereading it......quiet Riot? Argh I know but I dont.

Do yourself a favor go rent This is Spinal Tap. Genius funny.

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:51 PM
dwerther
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

Check out their star rating on IMDb.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088258/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Now THAT'S funny.

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:55 PM
dorian
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

the mini stonehenge still might be the funniest part of that movie!

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:57 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

Ah yes Spinal Tap. Geez I had just heard on the radio this a few months ago. Maybe after I move to NM . This week will be full of shooting and packing

I will share some 17mm shots and thoughts if anyone is curious, I may get into real estate shooting so this is potentially practice for me.

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:58 PM
dkmiles1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

I worked at FedEx for 12 years and the company always treated me extremely well, I worked in sales domestically and internationally. On the whole, the on time reliability record of FedEx is second to none, that said, where they totally mess up (and apparently still do to this day - I left in 2004) is in their inability to handle exceptions.

One area UPS has done a great job in is handling exceptions, they are uncannily good - it may have to do with the fact that its all one network and not separate operating companies... FedEx express and FedEx ground are two entirely different operating companies (different trucks, different warehouses, different personnel, different uniforms, etc...)

Full disclosure - today I own a ups store, and I'm always impressed with UPSs customer service and exception handling....

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

I ran afoul of Fedex Ground once, I think it may have been called Fedex Home then. Never again. Stick with the professional FedEx. I prefer UPS, their tracking predictions have always been dead accurate. One delivery method to avoid however is a joint venture with UPS and USPS, don't know what its called. B&H once used it for their free deliveries. Seems UPS takes the package across country and then gives it to the post office for delivery. The problem is that the post office treats the package as their lowest priority, no tracking, no help. The package got from B&H to San Diego in 3 days (trackable) and the post office took over a week more to get it to my house.

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:30 PM
time2clmb
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

First world problems. It's not so bad.

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:35 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

@dkmiles1 - Oh wow, I had no idea Express and Ground were different companies. Maybe that explains some things. Thanks for pointing that out.

@Jeff - Yes I think there is still that service and yes unfortunately it's slower than normal. It's really unfortunate the USPS's tracking capabilities are so lacking.

@time2clmb - Agreed, I know. I think it's more the fact they just blatantly lied about "weather" being the delay, especially since it's been in the town since this Saturday

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:42 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

and Ground and Home Delivery are different companies too, with TOTALLY different schedules. Home delivery is off on Sunday and MONDAY.

Plus, usually with ground it will be at the facility after 6 or some crap and you can pick it up there till like 10/12 depending on the place. One of the big hubs is near me and is open 24/7.
Now this is all out of the window if the closest place is the FedEx Kinkos locations, those are crap. \
FedEx anything for me takes 3-5 business days, UPS from NYC is 1 day.. Ill UPS all day

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Oldraven
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

After FedEx failed to get a LensRental lens to me on time and couldn't offer a coherent explanation of what went wrong, the terrific folks at LensRental took no further chances: they shipped me two subsequent rentals that arrived a day early at no extra charge to me.

That's an exceptionally good company taking a revenue hit to protect a customer, and I'm happy to give 'em a plug here. FedEx, OTOH, has always been disconcertingly hit or miss at my location.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:31 AM
JHC
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

Oh I thought this was a binary thread and you weren't really mad...oh well, maybe not wait until the last minute next time would take a little of the stress off of the whole situation?

Anyways good luck with your tse - i have a 45 2.8 and love it.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Jim Victory
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

I usually have these types of problems with UPS. FedEx is my preferred way of shipping for more expensive items followed my USPS.

Jim

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:29 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

beetlefang wrote:
Oh I thought this was a binary thread and you weren't really mad...oh well, maybe not wait until the last minute next time would take a little of the stress off of the whole situation?

Anyways good luck with your tse - i have a 45 2.8 and love it.

That's what I was thinking.

The OP presumes to know the weather/logistics situation, but he really can't. There HAS been rough weather recently, and who knows what kinds of logistical nightmares that puts up... even away from where the weather happened.

Also, it's not really Fedex's job to give you an adequate explanation for the delay unless it's the kind of thing where you can get renumeration for a missed, but guaranteed (on their end) delivery. Was that in the terms?

I know I've been super frustrated with all sorts of shippers doing all sorts of stupid things. But it's ultimately incredible they can deliver so quickly, and most of the time it works, and-- it's our responsibility to build in enough buffer time that we don't end up freaking out when there's an exception.

UPS vs. Fedex is a wash, imho. Local variables-- aka drivers-- may make a difference. But they both do a pretty good job on the whole. A lot better than DHL and Deutsche Post that I have to rely on now...

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:29 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.