Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Question as to the repair options for a D300

knight13
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Question as to the repair options for a D300

My D300 needs a new shutter.

I am trying to decide whether to fix it at a cost of around $350 (sending it to Nikon) and the camera being gone 3 months or selling it as is.

My question is what would the value of a D300 with a bad shutter be?

Also, what is the story with United Camera repair? Anyone have any experience with them? They are quoting about $200.

*edit: Shutter repair, not sensor

Edited on Feb 12, 2013 at 02:42 PM · View previous versions

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:08 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Question as to the repair options for a D300

Easy to figure out. The D300 camera bodies are going for around $500 to $550.

So deduct the repair cost.

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:31 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Question as to the repair options for a D300

That doesn't seem outrageous for a new shutter. Is this your only camera? Personally I wouldn't get it fixed if it took 3 months, as spring time in the Gorge is the best time of year . Sell as is, pick up a D7000 for $650-750.

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:45 AM
Danner
• •
p.1 #4 · Question as to the repair options for a D300

The D300 has been a work-horse body for a fair number of years. At this point, I wouldn't spend the cash to fix it. Consider a lightly used D700.

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:50 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #5 · Question as to the repair options for a D300

Danner wrote:
The D300 has been a work-horse body for a fair number of years. At this point, I wouldn't spend the cash to fix it. Consider a lightly used D700.

+1

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

plubbry
• • •
p.1 #6 · Question as to the repair options for a D300

I am a little confused by your post. Is it the sensor that needs replaced or the shutter? You happen to mention both.

Like others have suggested look at what good condition D300's have been selling for recently. If the condition of the camera is average to good I would guess $450 might be a reasonable estimate once it is repaired.

I would also look at completed auctions for broken cameras on ebay. With Nikon no longer selling repair parts to individuals and non-authorized repair centers the value of a broken camera has gone up substantially. If the camera condition is good except for broken shutter then I may suspect you could get more for selling it for parts. Something to consider.

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:41 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Question as to the repair options for a D300

Give APS a call in the morning, 800-406-2046, and describe the problem a bit better.

http://nikoncamerarepair.com/

I'm happy with the work they've done on my gear, and you won't be without it for very long, either.

knight13 wrote:
My D300 needs a new sensor.

I am trying to decide whether to fix it at a cost of around $350 (sending it to Nikon) and the camera being gone 3 months or selling it as is.

My question is what would the value of a D300 with a bad shutter be?

Also, what is the story with United Camera repair? Anyone have any experience with them? They are quoting about $200.

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:55 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #8 · Question as to the repair options for a D300

Add another $350 to teeh repair cost and you can probably get a good used D300s. You might be able to get something for the spare parts but I doubt anyone would buy it with a bad sensor. If it's a bad shutter then that's a normal cost. Then you'll have a camera that will last quite a bit longer.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:37 AM
derek.fulmer
• •
p.1 #9 · Question as to the repair options for a D300

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Give APS a call in the morning, 800-406-2046, and describe the problem a bit better.

http://nikoncamerarepair.com/

I'm happy with the work they've done on my gear, and you won't be without it for very long, either.

+1. Picking up my D700 from them tomorrow.

Feb 12, 2013 at 05:10 AM
knight13
• •
p.1 #10 · Question as to the repair options for a D300

Thank you for the replies.

It is in fact the shutter not the sensor.

I am picking up a used D700 in the next few weeks. My decision is based on whether I want to keep the D300 as my backup. It really is a great camera and has served me above and beyond what I ever expected. United Camera quoted me $198 and a turnaround of 14-21 day. I will check out APS as well.

Thank you again for all of the help.

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:45 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password