Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · External hard drive advice for windows vista

gpchase
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · External hard drive advice for windows vista

Nice find...so true

Mar 07, 2013 at 02:37 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · External hard drive advice for windows vista

Bifurcator wrote:
From what I could tell.
You could do this but at the point a $200 netbook would be more useful as your mac would no longer boot. The way overclocking was done it makes it unlikely to get these speeds an as far as I can find 3.5 was about as fast as anyone got and that was under windows where there were tools to allow greater access to the timings of the computer. Also overclocking was not compatible with the 64 bit kernel.

(I allow that I could be wrong as I've no experience Overclocking a Mac a my
...Show more

Mar 08, 2013 at 04:52 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · External hard drive advice for windows vista

Yeah, that's true. With the OC schemes they employ for the Xeon Macs you have to shut-down and then once the kernel stack is unloaded turn off the machine - because the restart init fails. It's not a big deal but I agree OC on the MacPros if not done differently is pretty lame. I tried it a few times just to see. It also messes with some other subsystems causing things like incorrect time-clock speed, flakey audio, and so on. But we can skip the OC sentence in my post all together and it's all just as true. And for those chanting "mactard, mactard, mactard..." this has almost nothing to do with Mac vs PC. It's about Workstation grade Xeon based systems vs Desktop grade iCore based systems. Kind of a different argument all together when ya read the posts without interjection and assumption.

Ya know, it's not like I'm talking out my ass here. I have a buttload of machines at my fingertips. 6 really nice workstations, 8 or so "desktop grade" boxes, and at least 2 new-spec laptops. And with my retirement status which seems to be on and off lately, it's a pretty interesting little playground to test, compare, and dink around with stuff. So usually if don't get to excited and post peak speeds as averages, I know what I'm talking about and have tested it first.

Another point I would like to make on the "cache argument" in my reply to aubsxc, is that if the caches are responsible for the high scores then why do slower drives rate slower. Seems to me that caches would mostly equalize the differences. My last RAID0 compare with Hitachi drives was topping out at 400MB/s and averaging 300MB/s instead of the 400MB/s averages and 500MB/s peaks that these Seagates are. Seems to me that if system and drive caches were interfering then that would show up in the tests in more obvious ways. Or what, slower drives have slower cache memory?

Mar 08, 2013 at 07:42 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · External hard drive advice for windows vista

Is this good?
2 Samsung 540 pro series SSD 512GB in RAID0

Mar 08, 2013 at 07:52 PM
gpchase
• • •
p.3 #5 · External hard drive advice for windows vista

What is your read speed ?...this looks low

Mar 08, 2013 at 08:25 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · External hard drive advice for windows vista

Two in raid 0?

No something is wrong. Usually that (what I see above) is the result of a bottleneck imposed by a user configuration (component selection). How are these drives connected and what to?

Those speeds look like you have them both connected to a port-multiplied SATAII port.

You should be able to get about five times those speeds by connecting them each to their own dedicated (not post-multiplied) SATA III (not SATA II) ports. If your main-board only offers SATA II and you have a free PCIe slot with enough lanes you can install a $50 to $75 dollar SATA III interface card and using two ports you should get pretty close to one gigabyte per second out of it.

And that's a difference you can really feel too! Everything seems a lot snappier and responsive when using applications like we photogs spend out time in. (Although if that's your system drive you will not feel any difference in OS performance... just apps like mentioned.)

Mar 08, 2013 at 08:39 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.3 #7 · External hard drive advice for windows vista

Sunny Sra wrote:
Is this good?
2 Samsung 540 pro series SSD 512GB in RAID0

Stirring the pot huh? Sit back and have a Newcastle on me

Mar 08, 2013 at 09:12 PM
gpchase
• • •
p.3 #8 · External hard drive advice for windows vista

I see..

Mar 08, 2013 at 09:15 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · External hard drive advice for windows vista

They are connected to my ASUS rampage III Formula MB, using the onboard SATA 6GB ports

#12 on that list.

Mar 08, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · External hard drive advice for windows vista

A trim problem then?

But I assumed trim problems wouldn't look so flat when graphed.

If those were port multiplied SATA III connections you should be getting a nice flat 480MB/s
If these were dedicated SATA III connection you should be able to hit almost exactly double that (900 to 960MB/s)

Weird. <shrug>

Do you have any ideas yourself as to why it's so low?

Mar 09, 2013 at 03:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

gpchase
• • •
p.3 #11 · External hard drive advice for windows vista

You sure it's raid0 and not raid5 or jbod ?

Mar 09, 2013 at 03:45 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · External hard drive advice for windows vista

Even RAID1 (the slowest raid there is) would be faster...

And also a single SSD all by itself would be about 2 times what he's showing there.

A single healthy SSD by itself should be able to max out a SATA III port at 480MB/s and if the measurement is taken at the buss and not data throughput then up past 500MB/s.

Also there seems to be no such thing as Samsung 540 Pro so I assume he meant 840 Pro 512GB SSD.

I hear lots of bad things about the Marvell controllers tho so maybe that's it? There's a thread I recently read from a guy with that same on-board controller having the same issues over at Tom's Hardware. And speaking of tom"s here's what the 840 Pro benchmarks like:

Or read up here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/840-pro-ssd-toggle-mode-2,3302.html

Mar 09, 2013 at 08:38 AM
gpchase
• • •
p.3 #13 · External hard drive advice for windows vista

Yup something aint right here.
I'd collapse the raid and try them on their own

Mar 09, 2013 at 03:32 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · External hard drive advice for windows vista

According to the few thread hints I've noticed he needs to either flash alternate firmware for his embedded Marvell controller and make sure his SSDs are flashed with the newest from Samsung or.... flash SSDs with newest from samsung and move them over to the normal SATA III ports on his MB.

But there was a lot of information on the Marvell controller on his main-board when I did a search so when he's ready I'm sure he'll be able to fix it easily.

Mar 09, 2013 at 04:41 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · External hard drive advice for windows vista

Its probably the onboard controller. Should put this on its own controller card and test it. ordered 1, should be here monday.

Mar 09, 2013 at 04:51 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.3 #16 · External hard drive advice for windows vista

Unless something has changed, these Marvell controllers have little onboard processing capability and rely on the CPU to do the work. They really are little different to software raid. If you aren't actually booting off the raid I think you're probably better off just doing software raid via your OS.

Mar 09, 2013 at 05:03 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.3 #17 · External hard drive advice for windows vista

I am booting off the raid. The SSD are RAID 0 for boot/apps, then i have another raid 1 for the data/pictures storage.
The CPU is i7 extreme x980 @ 4Ghz
24GB ram

Mar 09, 2013 at 07:40 PM
gpchase
• • •
p.3 #18 · External hard drive advice for windows vista

Wow ..all that processing power and you can't get data to/from fast enough it to realize it..

Mar 09, 2013 at 08:39 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.3 #19 · External hard drive advice for windows vista

That's inconvenient. I don't believe Win7 or Win8 will boot from an OS managed RAID partition, so you are stuck with the Marvell if you really want to boot from RAID.

I would be wary of RAID with SSD's - TRIM support has been problematic with RAID SSD's, and i wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the Marvell controller knows nothing about TRIM at all. I don't think that explains your poor read performance though: I would expect those problems to manifest in write speeds rather than reads. Quite likely Bifurcator is correct and you are connected to a pair of port multiplied SATA channels.

You probably won't be able to just plug in the drives to another controller and have them go - the Marvell controller will probably have set up a special RAID partition that only it can read. I suspect a reinstall will be needed.

Mar 09, 2013 at 08:42 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · External hard drive advice for windows vista

15Bit wrote:
That's inconvenient. I don't believe Win7 or Win8 will boot from an OS managed RAID partition, so you are stuck with the Marvell if you really want to boot from RAID.

I would be wary of RAID with SSD's - TRIM support has been problematic with RAID SSD's, and i wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the Marvell controller knows nothing about TRIM at all. I don't think that explains your poor read performance though: I would expect those problems to manifest in write speeds rather than reads. Quite likely Bifurcator is correct and you are connected to a
...Show more

Yea i've heard about TRIM support with RAID, so just wanted to test it out. gonna redo the system and remove the raid...i haven't seen any benefit from it.
Reinstall is not an issue, win8 is pretty fast install and restore everything from the backup to the system level. will post an update tomorrow.

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:25 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password