Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · McWay falls - Big Sur

JameelH
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · McWay falls - Big Sur

Wasn't happy with my original processing of this. Got around to re-doing it. Let me know what you think. Iconic location and all ...

thanks

Feb 12, 2013 at 01:13 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · McWay falls - Big Sur

Hey Jameel,

I like your composition here, it's done well. But this one seems a bit crunchy, overly sharpened. And it's still got a bit of highlights that seem a bit too high. This is some tricky lighting, and everything reflects light really well... too well. Did you use a polarizer to help knock that reflection/glare off?

Jim

Feb 12, 2013 at 01:16 AM
JameelH
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · McWay falls - Big Sur

Sharpening - it looks like compression artifacts. The downsizing was done with PS. The full size one doesn't show this.

Yes the lighting was not only tricky, it was changing quite a bit. I believe I had the polarizer on. I tried to control some in post.

I am going to work on this some more.

Feb 12, 2013 at 01:26 AM
Phrasikleia
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · McWay falls - Big Sur

It's nice to see this scene with the flowers in bloom. You did a really nice job with the composition, more balanced than a lot that come out of this location. If you do decide to rework it, be mindful of those halos around the trees at the top left. I agree with Jim about the sharpening: you need to dial that way down.

Feb 12, 2013 at 08:29 AM
scraptag
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · McWay falls - Big Sur

I like it. I would be great on a postcard.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:45 PM
scraptag
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · McWay falls - Big Sur

or my wall!

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · McWay falls - Big Sur

JameelH wrote:
Sharpening - it looks like compression artifacts. The downsizing was done with PS. The full size one doesn't show this.

Yes the lighting was not only tricky, it was changing quite a bit. I believe I had the polarizer on. I tried to control some in post.

I am going to work on this some more.

Hey Jameel,

What are you shooting with? With my D800 I know I had to change up my downsizing routine in PS as shots like this that have lot's of fine detail because crunchy for me. So yeah, it very well could be compression artifacts. What's your steps for downsizing for the web?

Jim

Feb 12, 2013 at 05:42 PM
JameelH
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · McWay falls - Big Sur

@Jim - This was shot with the 5D Mark III. Here I simply downsized using PS Imagesize. The mistake I made was I had already done some sharpening prior to downsizing.

Here is a reworked version. Would love to get opinion on this relative to the earlier version.

Feb 12, 2013 at 08:25 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · McWay falls - Big Sur

Hey Jameel,

That is much better, the crunchy feel is gone now! Good work.

Jim

Feb 12, 2013 at 08:39 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · McWay falls - Big Sur

I had seen this in a book. Glad to know where it is! California coast is great!

Seems oversaturated but if it came out of the camera that way Id keep it and be really happy, so? Either way. Probably wouldn't look nearly as good without a polarizer to help reflections.

Great shot doesn't need much. Horizon a bit crooked but branch breaks it up, might try dodging shadows / dark rocks. Mostly print it. Great shot.

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:25 PM
John Richter
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · McWay falls - Big Sur

Looks like a postcard to me. It appears to be slightly leaning to the right according to the horizon waterline and the edge of my window with scrolling. Nice work with the light.

JBR

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:38 AM
JameelH
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · McWay falls - Big Sur

John Richter wrote:
Looks like a postcard to me. It appears to be slightly leaning to the right according to the horizon waterline and the edge of my window with scrolling. Nice work with the light.

JBR

Yes, it is a wee bit off. I hadn't noticed till it was pointed out here. Appreciate the comments. I have fixed the horizon. Now to go print it.

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:13 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password