Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Bower 24mm f/1.4 for $499 shipped!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bower 24mm f/1.4 for $499 shipped!

Bower 24mm f/1.4 for $499 shipped!
There is an exclusive Bower lens deal at B&H Photo. (Bower is the same lens designed by Samyang)

The Bower 24mm /1.4 had its price lowered to $499 with free shipping and 2% Rewards.
(Orig. price $700)

Bower 24mm /1.4 for Canon

Bower 24mm /1.4 for other camera mounts including Nikon, Olympus, Pentax and Sony

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:28 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bower 24mm f/1.4 for $499 shipped!

nice!

Feb 12, 2013 at 01:26 AM
Joshua Warrender

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bower 24mm f/1.4 for $499 shipped!

If anyone here has first hand experience with this lens, I would be interested to hear your thoughts. Particularly on the Nikon mount version.

Feb 12, 2013 at 01:34 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bower 24mm f/1.4 for $499 shipped!

It rated fairly well over at photozone, given he was testing a decentered copy apparently. I have never understood the allure of a fast 24 so no direct experience, sorry

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:55 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bower 24mm f/1.4 for $499 shipped!

cputeq wrote:
It rated fairly well over at photozone, given he was testing a decentered copy apparently. I have never understood the allure of a fast 24 so no direct experience, sorry

According to Photozone's MTF measurements, the Samyang (Bower) 24mm f/1.4 has much better extreme border resolution at f/1.4, f/2 and f/2.8 than the more expensive Canon 24mm f/1.4L II, making it a great choice for night landscape photography at this price.
CA at these apertures is also better controlled on the Bower.

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:19 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bower 24mm f/1.4 for $499 shipped!

Ah night landscape. I guess it would be mostly stars then, since one would need to pretty much keep it focused to infinity for DOF reasons? (and/or with distant terrestrial objects and very little / no foreground) ?

Night landscape is an area I've rarely scratched, maybe that explains my confusion at fast 24mm

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:53 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bower 24mm f/1.4 for $499 shipped!

I have had the 85mm 1.4 and now the 14mm 2.8 - and if this lens is anything like those, it will be a killer lens!

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bower 24mm f/1.4 for $499 shipped!

the 24 1.4 generally tested much more poorly than the samyang 14, 35, and 85, all of which tested very well. there were issues with claims of the lens really being an f2 (exposures very similar at f 1.4 and f2), and lenstip gave it a poor review, and photozone gave it a so so review. all that said, for the price, if you want 1.4, and can live without autfocus, its a nice lens. I always felt the 700 asking price was absurd. thier 35 1.4 has good for as little as 350.
If you want a 24 1.4, and you are on limited budget, go for it.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:50 AM
Cgb628

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bower 24mm f/1.4 for $499 shipped!

Fred Miranda wrote:
According to Photozone's MTF measurements, the Samyang (Bower) 24mm f/1.4 has much better extreme border resolution at f/1.4, f/2 and f/2.8 than the more expensive Canon 24mm f/1.4L II, making it a great choice for night landscape photography at this price.
CA at these apertures is also better controlled on the Bower.

That's impressive considering how much of an improvement the Canon 24L II was over the mk1 version.

I am so tempted by this one, but I have to try and resist. Saving up for a white whale is hard when things like this pop up to lead me astray.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:52 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bower 24mm f/1.4 for $499 shipped!

kevindar wrote:
the 24 1.4 generally tested much more poorly than the samyang 14, 35, and 85, all of which tested very well. there were issues with claims of the lens really being an f2 (exposures very similar at f 1.4 and f2), and lenstip gave it a poor review, and photozone gave it a so so review. all that said, for the price, if you want 1.4, and can live without autfocus, its a nice lens. I always felt the 700 asking price was absurd. thier 35 1.4 has good for as little as 350.
If you want a 24 1.4, and
...Show more

I'm glad you mentioned Lenstip as I know they test for coma and astigmatism correction in their reviews.
I was wondering myself how the Canon and Bower (Samyang) 24mm f/1.4 lenses would compare in this regard.
From their tests, it was better corrected for coma than the Canon at f/1.4 and f/2. Although astigmatism didn't fare very well..

Feb 12, 2013 at 05:28 AM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bower 24mm f/1.4 for $499 shipped!

kevindar wrote:
If you want a 24 1.4, and
...Show more

I think the truth of the matter is that a fast FF 24 is extremely hard to make. The Bower still reviewed better than the Canon L on Photozone. I do agree the $700 MSRP is pretty high, but considering the review and how much the L costs, it's not hard to believe. I think with time, as many things go, the price will/has come down.

Feb 12, 2013 at 07:51 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Bower 24mm f/1.4 for $499 shipped!

"The Bower still reviewed better than the Canon L on Photozone"

Without wishing to appear gitty it did not. Yes in terms of resolution the Samyang was better in the corners at or near wide open, but in terms of central resolution at these fast apertures the Canon 24mm L f1.4 Mk2 was better. As it should be at that price of course. Fast wide lenses are hard to design with lots of compromises, the Samyang designers elected to have great corners, and the Canon designers elected to have great central performance:

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/514-canon24f14mk2ff?start=1
http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/769-samyang24f14eosff?start=1

Doesn't mean that the Samyang isn't a great lens and a super buy, but to say that it is a better lens that the L is debatable to say the least. For full disclosure if I dropped my L I would probably replace it with the Sammy for financial reasons, and would be delighted to have the latter lens. But that's not the same as saying that the L is eclipsed even in optical quality, before taking into account AF and automatic diaphragm etc.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:01 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Bower 24mm f/1.4 for $499 shipped!

I have the Samyang 24 and it is very sharp across the frame. Not quite as sharp as the Samyang 35 but still very good. The little bit advantage the Canon has isn't worth the price to me. My reasoning was I could by 2/3 very/very good lenses or one excellent Canon. Others will make a different decision

Dan

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:55 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Bower 24mm f/1.4 for $499 shipped!

David Baldwin wrote:
"The Bower still reviewed better than the Canon L on Photozone"

I'll admit I may have taken it a bit far to comment with the above quote. I was thinking of the verdicts, first sentence from each -
Samyang - "It may be a bit embarrassing for the original manufacturers but the Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC manages to produce a quality similar to its roughly double priced counterparts."
Canon L - "The Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 USM L II gave us some mixed feelings during the tests."

It is very true about the center (Canon) and borders (Samyang) though. The Samyang had less CA and vignetting too, but more distortion. At the end of the day, they are different lenses with different purposes and costs.

Feb 13, 2013 at 06:24 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password