Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · 6D (N)

Breitling65
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 6D (N)

I heard it is possible to get this cheaper version (N) of 6D without wifi and gps. Does it even exist? Did anyone saw this body in US stores and how much it is cheaper than full version?

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 6D (N)

It exists. Panamoz (?) sent some of these to UK buyers by mistake.

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 6D (N)

I have not heard anything about an alternate version of the 6D.

However, I do like the idea of alternate versions of camera bodies. I think it was awesome of Nikon to release a D800(E), without the pesky AA-filter.

Just my wishfull thinking here, but I'd gladly pay $2000 extra for a "5D3E". No AA-filter, 13 - 16 extra megapixles, 2 - 3 extra stops of DR, and zero banding.

Edited on Feb 12, 2013 at 12:05 AM · View previous versions

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 6D (N)

RobDickinson wrote:
It exists. Panamoz (?) sent some of these to UK buyers by mistake.

How much cheaper it is? 10%, 20% ...?

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:01 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 6D (N)

No idea if its cheaper, these people had paid for a WG version.

Normally I would suspect the N version is only built for specific areas/countries that dont like wifi emmisions. Not sure it would be cheaper.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 6D (N)

When I come to think of it, they should release a body without video also. If Canon want to remove features from a body, in order to make it cheaper, video (and the AA-filter) should be the first to be cut off.

Edited on Feb 12, 2013 at 12:12 AM · View previous versions

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 6D (N)

RobDickinson wrote:
No idea if its cheaper, these people had paid for a WG version.

Normally I would suspect the N version is only built for specific areas/countries that dont like wifi emmisions. Not sure it would be cheaper.

I didn't know about such countries, how do they drink coffee in Starbucks without wifi there?
Seriously, I was asked to buy this version for present for someone in Eastern Europe but no clue about how, nothing on Ebay with (N) either.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 6D (N)

RobDickinson wrote:

That's correct. It's not intended to market for a lower price. It's a model that is released in mainland China because the use of GPS is not allowed.

The only way you can tell without powering up the camera is to look at the model number under the camera. In the US, it'll be 6D(WG).

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:42 AM
Don_T70

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 6D (N)

After playing around with the WiFi, it is great. It links up with your smart phone and you can take remote pictures (So no need for a remote shutter device) and download the images to your phone or email them or what ever. Everyone that I have showed this to loves it. I have only had the camera for a week, so still learning but is a great so far.

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:00 AM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 6D (N)

The version without GPS & WIFi are for sales in countries where those features are illegal. I have seen it a wee bit cheaper, but its not worth it, as inherently it will be a grey market item in most markets. Thus you will not get a normal USA warrantee

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 6D (N)

Wahoowa wrote:
It's a model that is released in mainland China because the use of GPS is not allowed.

Yes, my CIA handler asked if was able to photograph a particular dam upstream from Shanghai - I requisitioned a 6D (WG) and a week later it arrived via UPS. I was told my service was invaluable and that without patriots like myself the U.S. wouldn't have a clue what was going on in China, or even where Beijing was. I expect a nice fat bonus check for some snaps of the dam.

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:21 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 6D (N)

I can't remember where I read, maybe on the Alt forum here or some Sony forum, but the poster said at least in North Korea one cannot use a camera with GPS capabilities. They had to bring the "alternate" version of the A77 which lacks GPS to be allowed to take photos...and yes, the customs/guards know what to look for.

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:46 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 6D (N)

Rickuz wrote:
When I come to think of it, they should release a body without video also. If Canon want to remove features from a body, in order to make it cheaper, video (and the AA-filter) should be the first to be cut off.

I suspect mass production devices with hardware features left off (or added) will be more expensive to make since they will require additional work and different parts while building. It is possible to disable GPS and Wi-Fi via FW but what is stopping a Chinese national from hacking it or getting new FW from elsewhere?

On the other hand, the hardware for video--CMOS, MLU, LV, etc--is already in place and needed for other things so Canon would need to disable video via software. So it would cost the same to make a camera without video and (cost of having a code writer disable video via special FW should be nominal). Probably easier to pretend video doesn't exit on your camera and ask your wife for 20 bucks if she thinks your'e cool. I've owned a 5D2 for over 4 years and have yet to try the video feature. Used LV a couple times but found it hard to compose on such a small screen. No biggie, There are many other features I never use as well...

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:16 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 6D (N)

Gochugogi wrote:
I suspect mass production devices with hardware features left off (or added) will be more expensive to make since they will require additional work and different parts while building. It is possible to disable GPS and Wi-Fi via FW but what is stopping a Chinese national from hacking it or getting new FW from elsewhere?

On the other hand, the hardware for video--CMOS, MLU, LV, etc--is already in place and needed for other things so Canon would need to disable video via software. So it would cost the same to make a camera without video and (cost of having a code
...Show more

Same, I wish they could enable extra options with some software code you could buy and download. You need video and gps pay $200 and get code over email Base version should cost less, and I bet you nobody will care about video besides one who really need it.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 6D (N)

Paul Mo wrote:
Yes, my CIA handler asked if was able to photograph a particular dam upstream from Shanghai - I requisitioned a 6D (WG) and a week later it arrived via UPS. I was told my service was invaluable and that without patriots like myself the U.S. wouldn't have a clue what was going on in China, or even where Beijing was. I expect a nice fat bonus check for some snaps of the dam.

Nice to meet you Mr. George Smiley.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 6D (N)

Breitling65 wrote:
Same, I wish they could enable extra options with some software code you could buy and download. You need video and gps pay $200 and get code over email Base version should cost less, and I bet you nobody will care about video besides one who really need it.

This makes zero sense...

The base price would be the same-- they'd just charge $200 MORE for the de-feebled version. If X hardware (+ overhead) demands Y price, they're going to chard Y + $200 for the already existant hardware to get turned on. They're not going to charge Y - $200 for the base model.

It's different if it's something like Fuji did with the XE vs X Pro-- where dropping a hardware feature entirely (OVF) let them charge less for the cheaper model.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 6D (N)

Actually one more version (W), what is this?

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM
danb121
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 6D (N)

Breitling65 wrote:
Actually one more version (W), what is this?

At a guess wifi only

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 6D (N)

danb121 wrote:
At a guess wifi only

Looks like but why manual picture is without this model?

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:56 PM
paulfeng
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 6D (N)

My reaction to the OP is that if the N verson were available in markets where the WG version is sold, it might actually increase sales of the WG version. Say it sold for $1700 (N) vs. $1900 (WG). The $1700 price looks more affordable than $1900 and may lead one down the road to purchase. On the way, the purchaser thinks - 'gee, for $200 more I can get WiFi and GPS - I would have to pay much more to add those features later... might as well buy them now!'

Apple does a pretty good job of this, helping the buyer rationalize spending more money one increment at a time. (Now ducking as the Apple-bashers come out swinging.)

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:27 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password