Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              12      
       14              73       74       end

HD Images Thread

R.Young
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #1 · p.13 #1 · HD Images Thread

It was a great place to shoot, but I felt the pressure by being on Holiday and having to make sure the girlfriend wasn't getting bored. I have another shot which was just 8 images stitched which is better but has been posted a few years ago. I'm going through my old library of images and re-editing photos which need it. I will repost the other shot when it goes up on Flickr

Mar 21, 2013 at 08:57 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.13 #2 · p.13 #2 · HD Images Thread

Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1.4/50 @ f/5.6, 1/1000s, 5DmkII @ ISO 100

Samuli

Mar 21, 2013 at 09:02 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.13 #3 · p.13 #3 · HD Images Thread

Mar 21, 2013 at 09:29 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.13 #4 · p.13 #4 · HD Images Thread

R.Young wrote:
It was a great place to shoot, but I felt the pressure by being on Holiday and having to make sure the girlfriend wasn't getting bored.

Yes, I have this problem now too, but doubly so, since I also have a daughter. They both don't complain, but it isn't the same as being alone and taking your time.

Mar 21, 2013 at 09:32 PM
R.Young
• • •
p.13 #5 · p.13 #5 · HD Images Thread

Definitely going to start looking at organising my first photography dedicated holiday soon!

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Worldinlens
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #6 · p.13 #6 · HD Images Thread

R.Young wrote:
19 image stitch with the 100 f2 C/Y

Impressive

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Ulff
• • •
p.13 #7 · p.13 #7 · HD Images Thread

Stitch of 16 images with ZE 100 2.0 wide open:

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:09 AM
R.Young
• • •
p.13 #8 · p.13 #8 · HD Images Thread

Very nice. Where was this?

8 image stitch with 100 f2 C/Y:

Kiyomizudera Temple - Kyoto by Rob.Young, on Flickr

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:13 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.13 #9 · p.13 #9 · HD Images Thread

That's beautiful Robert!

Mar 22, 2013 at 04:48 PM
R.Young
• • •
p.13 #10 · p.13 #10 · HD Images Thread

Thank you. It's nice to be able to quickly process these and be able to make tweaks with the RAW files and restitch if needs be. Before I had my current computer I stitched this image on my laptop and it took so long I didn't have the patience to adjust the raw files and restitch. The difference between this and my first attempt a few years ago is a little embarrassing. At least it shows my processing is progressing I guess. The problem is I have this one printed and now I feel as though I should re print the re edit!

Mar 22, 2013 at 07:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

wfrank
• • • •
p.13 #11 · p.13 #11 · HD Images Thread

Young/Ulff may you please continue and escalate the CY/ZE 100/2 shoot-out :-)

Phillip, beautiful shots as always though I would noise-reduce the sky in the last one.

Mar 22, 2013 at 09:14 PM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.13 #12 · p.13 #12 · HD Images Thread

carstenw wrote:
That's beautiful Robert!

+1

Mar 22, 2013 at 09:18 PM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.13 #13 · p.13 #13 · HD Images Thread

R28/2.8 + s5 Pro

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:10 PM
JaKo
• • •
p.13 #14 · p.13 #14 · HD Images Thread

R.Young & Ulff; great greenery.
Please excuse my ignorance, what's the reason for stitching so many shots? I am aware of using multi shots for HRD, pano or focus stacking, but what was your intension? Thanks

Mar 23, 2013 at 05:00 AM
R.Young
• • •
p.13 #15 · p.13 #15 · HD Images Thread

It is to create a photo with a wide angle of view, yet with a very short depth of field. The equivalent lens required to take a shot like this would be something like a 30mm f0.5, which is obviously an impossible lens to make (unless NASA funded the development).

It also creates a look similar to medium or even large format, where you have thin depth of field but an incredible amount of detail. They print well too because of this, the larger the better!

Mar 23, 2013 at 09:15 AM
Ulff
• • •
p.13 #16 · p.13 #16 · HD Images Thread

It seems like Robert and I visited the same places in Kyoto with similar ideas and equipment... @Wilhelm: sure, the shootout can be escalated - and a lens comparison is of course more adequate if the scenes are the same. So here's my version of Roberts above scene (ZE 100 @ f2.0, handheld stitch of 32 images), although I must admit that I like Robert image better than mine:

Mar 23, 2013 at 09:59 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.13 #17 · p.13 #17 · HD Images Thread

Also beautiful!

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:10 AM
R.Young
• • •
p.13 #18 · p.13 #18 · HD Images Thread

I disagree, yours has actual content in the image, mine has just a single group of leaves, the rest is a bit of a blurred mess. It might hold your attention as you scan around the image trying to work out what is what, but I fear it is more likely to just look a bit overwhelming.

I really wish I could afford to go back and shoot more. I shot a hell of a lot of photos but deleted maybe half as they had no artistic value at all. The place was rich in potential photos and it was difficult to take the environment in at the same time as wanting to shoot it all.

I'll have a look for some more to post

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:33 AM
JaKo
• • •
p.13 #19 · p.13 #19 · HD Images Thread

Thank you R.Young. Now I recall I read about it; an interesting approach that presented few gotchas after trying it today for the first time.
Obviously, while shooting a foliage air movement (heck, ANY movement) is not desireable. Stability at all price! Now, computing power needs to be revised. I mean, my 100+ GB SSD scratch disk for PS is loughing at me along with all taken RAM and CPUs utilization up to the roof! Thanks a banch! Well, I have to admit I find it impressive even with my first PP artifacts, but at least I can see the potential in this way of shooting and understand other posters work.
It's clearly a departure from my usual, simple RAW --> Sharpen --> Resize & Save for Web approach. It's worth a try and after few correction things may look better. For now, I like it!

First test shot

Mar 24, 2013 at 02:37 AM
R.Young
• • •
p.13 #20 · p.13 #20 · HD Images Thread

I think you'll find you can compress your highlights and boost shadows a little more in a panorama like this. This is the problem I was having when stitching with an old laptop, the final output took so long I couldn't bring myself to adjust the raw files again and restitch if I didn't like the result. I have since bought a new computer, 32 gigs of RAM, a 480gb SSD and am now able to stitch fairly quickly. I can now compare the stitch of http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert-young/8578109701/ with my first attempt a few years ago (of the same photo) and I seem to have to pull exposure, pull the highlights, create an s curve tone curve to increase contrast and brighten the midtones and then push the shadows quite a bit as well, just to create an image which has deep colours, tones contrast.

I think it is due to this technique creating a higher dynamic range than a single shot, even though the exposures are the same. You could probably get away with increasing the contrast and pulling the exposure a little too. But great first attempt, no stitching errors I can see and a nice subject to try it on, just could do with a little more processing to make it pop, and maybe some purple fringe reduction as it appears the branches of the tree are quite purple but this could be white balance

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:18 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password