Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              11      
       13              72       73       end

HD Images Thread

R.Young
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #1 · HD Images Thread

Stunning Samuli, impressive detail wide open!

Ryoanji Temple - Kyoto by Rob.Young, on Flickr

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:29 AM
ltruong8
• •
p.12 #2 · HD Images Thread

First attempt to post image here. D700 + Distagon 35mm 1.4 ZF.2 wide open.

Drought by keepyourown2000, on Flickr

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:47 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.12 #3 · HD Images Thread

Really nice, but in the large version, I think I would prefer the focus about 1 foot closer.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.12 #4 · HD Images Thread

Rob, thanks. Was your shot "Ryoanji Temple - Kyoto" really shot with Distagon T* 1.4/35 C/Y? Background blur is much more blur than I would assume, or the tree is very small and this was shoot really close.

One of my acid tests for bokeh Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1.4/50 @ f/2.8, 1/2000s, 5DmkII @ ISO 100 (normal webthumbnail size)

Samuli

Mar 19, 2013 at 05:55 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #5 · HD Images Thread

Here's a big version of the shot I took this morning (posted in the Fuji thread). Fuji X-E1 with 18-55mm f/2.8-4 @ 19mm, f/14, 15 seconds:

Mar 19, 2013 at 06:38 PM
kwalsh
• • •
p.12 #6 · HD Images Thread

I finally got to take a landscape picture! First in over a year...

(E-M5/7-14)

Ken

Mar 19, 2013 at 08:22 PM
R.Young
• • •
p.12 #7 · HD Images Thread

Stunning kwalsh!

Samuli, yes, the tree was actually quite large but also quite close. Here is a comparison shot which shows pretty horrible bokeh at the top:

Ryoanji Temple - Kyoto by Rob.Young, on Flickr

Mar 19, 2013 at 08:54 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.12 #8 · HD Images Thread

continuing the shrubbery theme, here's a stitch with the rokkor MC 55/1.7 wide open:

Mar 19, 2013 at 09:49 PM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.12 #9 · HD Images Thread

D700 + N105/2.5 Ai-S

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:23 PM
juju1958
• • •
p.12 #10 · HD Images Thread

My attempt with a Robin.
OM-D EM-5 75mm f1.8

LANHYDROCK by JuliandeCourcy, on Flickr

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ltruong8
• •
p.12 #11 · HD Images Thread

carstenw wrote:
Really nice, but in the large version, I think I would prefer the focus about 1 foot closer.

You are absolutely right Carstenw, only in this version I could see I missed focus the tree. I guess it was because focus shift when shooting wide open. When shooting WO, I always rely on my eyes since the AF-confirmation is not quite accurate, when it shows in-focus (the dot appears), if I capture the scene it is always foot(s) behind subjects I want to capture. Another way I rely on is that the arrow of AF-confirmation, when it is just about to turn to the dot. However this way does not work all the time . Would you share your experiences when shooting WO ?

Mar 20, 2013 at 04:45 AM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.12 #12 · HD Images Thread

ltruong8 wrote:
You are absolutely right Carstenw, only in this version I could see I missed focus the tree. I guess it was because focus shift when shooting wide open. When shooting WO, I always rely on my eyes since the AF-confirmation is not quite accurate, when it shows in-focus (the dot appears), if I capture the scene it is always foot(s) behind subjects I want to capture. Another way I rely on is that the arrow of AF-confirmation, when it is just about to turn to the dot. However this way does not work all the time . Would you share
...Show more

I'm sorry, but "focus shift" have no sense on WO. Some lenses have effect named "focus shift", it mean moving the focal plane when you close aperture. On WO just curvature of field on wide angle lenses. You need focusing by objects which need in focus and that's all

Mar 20, 2013 at 08:34 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.12 #13 · HD Images Thread

Right, focus shift is when the lens focuses at different distances wide open and stopped down. Since most cameras focus with the lens wide open, the actual photograph can be out of focus if you shoot stopped down.

Depending on which lens I use, I either shoot and check focus repeatedly until I get it, or for the very difficult lenses like this one, I will often use live view, even handheld, and compose on the rear screen, move the focus square to where I want the focus to be, zoom to 100% (I have this setting on the centre button in the multi-selector control) while holding the camera still, focus and shoot. If the composition is critical and the focus less so, I might switch out of 100% mode before releasing, to fine-tune the composition.

I never use the focus confirmation dots. I don't know how accurate they are, they might be fine, but I don't like focusing like that.

Mar 20, 2013 at 09:39 AM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.12 #14 · HD Images Thread

ltruong8 wrote:
You are absolutely right Carstenw, only in this version I could see I missed focus the tree. I guess it was because focus shift when shooting wide open. When shooting WO, I always rely on my eyes since the AF-confirmation is not quite accurate, when it shows in-focus (the dot appears), if I capture the scene it is always foot(s) behind subjects I want to capture. Another way I rely on is that the arrow of AF-confirmation, when it is just about to turn to the dot. However this way does not work all the time . Would you share
...Show more

Perhaps you focused on a central point, and then change the position of the camera. This is wrong, especially for wide angle lens. Due to the large field of view and focal plane curvature that decision will never be successful.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:38 AM
ltruong8
• •
p.12 #15 · HD Images Thread

ohh my bad . You all are correct, thank you!!

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.12 #16 · HD Images Thread

Is it possible to redo the shot?

Mar 20, 2013 at 07:36 PM
ltruong8
• •
p.12 #17 · HD Images Thread

Hehe, I guess not. I took this shot during my last trip to a distance place and I will not be there soon.

Mar 21, 2013 at 09:16 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.12 #18 · HD Images Thread

Too bad I was wondering if it was close to where you live

Mar 21, 2013 at 09:16 AM
R.Young
• • •
p.12 #19 · HD Images Thread

19 image stitch with the 100 f2 C/Y

Kiyomizudera Temple - Kyoto by Rob.Young, on Flickr

Mar 21, 2013 at 08:49 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.12 #20 · HD Images Thread

Looks great around the bushes, but the tree doesn't grab me as much. Looks like a great place to shoot.

Mar 21, 2013 at 08:53 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password