Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

This is a lighthearted thread which should hopefully evolve into a liitle 8-15L lens test and evaluation of the kind not normally done by The Digital Picture. com., etc.

ABB stands for AIR BORNE BIRD.
BIF is a special subset of ABB.

A bird may only be considered ABB if it is capable of sustained and selfpropelled flight. As a counter example, if you toss a domestic chicken out of a window, she will be airborne for a little while, but that will not be considered a case of ABB within the context of this poll.

So the poll question is: " Can ABBs be photographed using 8-15L, at its 8mm FL ?"

As we get deeper into this topic, we will look at some pictures and compare 8-15L performance against the old 15mm Fish Eye lens, etc.

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:55 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

We are both old men you just taught me. There is not endless time to spend here. You could have shortened this thread by just showing your pic, Peter.

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:11 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

Yes you can, but the birds need to be really big (dinosaur size) or you must get in really really really close to get something that will show in the 180 degree by 180 degree field of vision. You really need a rocket jet pack to get in really close.

Just as you can see from this shots of the ancient petrified Pterodactyl coming in for a landing. (Sorry it is using the Sigma). I haven't tried the 8-15 it is just to close and personal for my liking.

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:17 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

I can not see the Pterodactyl ... ?

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:19 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

It's petrified just like a tree. I think it was deformed see the tooth knock out in the front of its mouth and that strange horn coming out of its head. Seems to have only 1 eye.

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:22 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

But seriously there are alway bird flying around the tree, unless you zoom to 800 pecent to see that 1 pixel you are not going to get anything meaningful without getting in close.

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:26 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

burningheart wrote:
It's petrified just like a tree. I think it was deformed see the tooth knock out in the front of its mouth and that strange horn coming out of its head. Seems to have only 1 eye.

Give Ralph some time, do not push him, Robert.....he is in a different time zone, and his supply of good beer seems endless.

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:30 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

burningheart wrote:
But seriously there are alway bird flying around the tree, unless you zoom to 800 pecent to see that 1 pixel you are not going to get anything meaningful without getting in close.

I like that one, Robert....reminds me of a fine Wedgwood plate.

You see what you have done to me, you planted a 8-15L seed the other day, and here we are today .

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:33 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

After I buy him a few more pints of ale he will clearly see it, it's the only way I can see it myself. Hey barkeep another pint for my buddies.

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:34 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

PetKal wrote:
I like that one, Robert....reminds me of a fine Wedgwood plate.

You see what you have done to me, you planted a 8-15L seed the other day, and here we are today .

I'm tempted to grab the 8-15 and go do some ABB shooting, but I instead I am going start the process of hanging those two new bathroom mirrors I bought.

It will at least give you time to acquire an 8-15 for ABB shooting. You know you need one, it has a red circle.

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

burningheart wrote:
I'm tempted to grab the 8-15 and go do some ABB shooting, but I instead I am going start the process of hanging those two new bathroom mirrors I bought.

Just step out and do it.....the bathroom mirrors will be there tonight too.

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:39 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

burningheart wrote:
It will at least give you time to acquire an 8-15 for ABB shooting. You know you need one, it has a red circle.

I've bagged one already.

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:52 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

Sure it can be done. Give me time, a 6D, my iphone, and a hand full of bird seed

Oh, I forgot. A large piece of clear glass or plexiglass and 4 bricks/whatever tall enough to let me prop a 6D+8-15 pointing straight up (at least at MFD)

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:59 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

burningheart wrote:

PetKal wrote:
I've bagged one already.

I don't think Peter would have started this thread without an 8-15L in his back pocket.

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:09 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

cputeq wrote:
Sure it can be done. Give me time, a 6D, my iphone, and a hand full of bird seed

Oh, I forgot. A large piece of clear glass or plexiglass and 4 bricks/whatever tall enough to let me prop a 6D+8-15 pointing straight up (at least at MFD)

OK, sounds like a viable plan, let us see how it might work out.

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:52 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

jcolwell wrote:
I don't think Peter would have started this thread without an 8-15L in his back pocket.

Well, I am still checking it out....what a Tonka toy of a lens.

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:54 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

burningheart wrote:

What's sharper at 800%? EF 8-15/4L, TS-E 17/4L, or Nikkor 14-24/2.8 ED?

Which has better AF on a 1DX Mk II?

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:03 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

jcolwell wrote:
What's sharper at 800%? EF 8-15/4L, TS-E 17/4L, or Nikkor 14-24/2.8 ED?

Which has better AF on a 1DX Mk II?

Yes, the insanity BIF trinity.

Can photoshop do circular crops ?

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:07 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

PetKal wrote:
Can photoshop do circular crops ?

Edited on Feb 11, 2013 at 10:50 PM · View previous versions

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:43 PM