Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Is the 6D actually weather sealed?

weezintrumpete
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Is the 6D actually weather sealed?

As the title states...there seems to be some misleading information about it. Some say yes, it is, others don't think so.

So what's the deal? Anyone have some first hand experience? I want to go shooting in the rain!

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:38 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Is the 6D actually weather sealed?

Canon says it is "DWR", in the same sense that they said the 5DII and the 5DIII are. I haven't seen any hard numbers.
From everything i've read about 5DII's being killed by the slightest condensation (in some cases), I'll be careful with my 6D in bad weather.... but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:47 PM
EL_PIC

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Is the 6D actually weather sealed?

weezintrumpete wrote:
... I want to go shooting in the rain!

No matter what camera you use .... treat it as a girl you just meet. Use Protection !!

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:51 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Is the 6D actually weather sealed?

hahahaha

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:13 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Is the 6D actually weather sealed?

To shoot a girl in the rain I prefere silk blouses ...

My experience with gear sealing is easy. I never cared about a bit rain and never had any trouble. I would not take it out in a thunderstorm with heavy rain without protecting it.

But I used my 5D II dozends of times in rainy conditions and just wiped away the water with a tissue after shot was done. My not sealed in any way D60 was left in the rain outside all night in 2004. Water was pouring out of the lense. After I dried it for 24 hours it still worked for another two years till the shutter broke (CPS mentioned not because of the water that went in the body two years earlier).

For me there is an easy rule that worked till now and hopefully will work for the future:
As long it feels comfortable for me rain does (should) not hurt the camera. When I go out to shoot in a coat, I would cover the camera, too.

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:15 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Is the 6D actually weather sealed?

A woman can not be pregnant just " a little". She either is, or isn't pregnant.

The same logic should apply to 6D weather sealing......if it's sealed just a little, that is not good enough for you to be taking chances in inclement weather with it.

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:23 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Is the 6D actually weather sealed?

Looking at the sealing diagram its as well sealed as the 7d.

Which is to say, some but not enough to be reliable in adverse conditions.

The one I had got swamped by a wave and was ok.

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:25 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Is the 6D actually weather sealed?

Get your 6D a raincoat, perhaps body armor...protection is important, use your imagination

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:27 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Is the 6D actually weather sealed?

StillFingerz wrote:
Get your 6D a raincoat, perhaps body armor ...protection is important, use your imagination

That's right, why take risks if they can be avoided. However, if the benefit of those pictures being taken outweighs the penaly of a totalled camera, then by all means, dunk the sucker.

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:30 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Is the 6D actually weather sealed?

PetKal wrote:
That's right, why take risks if they can be avoided. However, if the benefit of those pictures being taken outweighs the penaly of a totalled camera, then by all means, dunk the sucker.

Peter, SoCal = sun all the time, unless it rains, then it pours so hard you can barely see. However, plastic garbage bags have been made holy, known to have covered this viking and his 500mm sword, before sealing was even a thought. A trip to the hardware store cures, we don't really need fancy to protect.

As for dunking, a T90 and 24 f2 sit on a shelf, a reminder the self drys off but gearz do not. A slippery jagged rock, rugged coastline of Big Sur, a youngster submerged in the Pacific's saltiness...Kodachrome and battery are still in camera...fun in the sun, no rain

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

subjectochange
• •
p.1 #11 · Is the 6D actually weather sealed?

RobDickinson wrote:
Looking at the sealing diagram its as well sealed as the 7d.

Which is to say, some but not enough to be reliable in adverse conditions.

The one I had got swamped by a wave and was ok.

I'm curious about what you mean by "not enough to be reliable". Did your 7D break down?

Now OP, of course you may take individual stories with a grain of salt, but I haven't had any problems taking both my 7D and my 5D3 in torrential rain. Hurricanes even. Shooting for hours - with the needed corresponding weather-sealed lenses and front filters.

I can admit that after an hour in a downpour one time, my 7D joystick stopped responding (instead I used the dials to adjust focus points), but it regained full function after it dried off. My 5D3 has never had any problems with any functions, even in the middle of Hurricane Sandy (and that was a beating). I've also taken both out in snow storms in Wyoming with no issues, save for the batteries complaining it's too cold.

I haven't shot with the 6D personally, but in store it feels better than the 5D2 and less robust than the 7D, which is almost as solid as the 5D3.

If you're going to be in drenches or swamps on a regular basis, maybe the 1D X is your cup of tea, but I'm not afraid of any water short of submersion at this point for my cameras.

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:27 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Is the 6D actually weather sealed?

Nope never broke down but I know others who have. There isnt sealing on some key areas, so will depend on how wet it gets, what direction the rain is hitting it etc.

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:37 PM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Is the 6D actually weather sealed?

Thanks for the replies guys. So a little light rain isn't going to hurt anything then, but maybe not a thunderstorm...

Well, now I need to find a little cover that's waterproof!

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:38 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Is the 6D actually weather sealed?

Think Tank Photo and the Fro Knows dslr protection...see below for some 'Hydrophobia

Think Tank Hydrophobia Hands on And Sniff test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crY93XFoUew

Another demo, no kids allowed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpnQSKMDoeA

For the big guns...

ThinkTank Photo: Hydrophobia 300-600 rain cover review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXuV5eJAwRY

Not satisfied yet, how a bout a 'news' review by non-photographers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G05wRlitff4

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:00 PM
ashley138
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Is the 6D actually weather sealed?

I can't answer this question exactly but I can tell you my experiences with my 7D (I'd think their weather proofing is similar). I've used it in snow, light rain, mist, all with no issues. I did take it out a couple days in WA in very humid weather, with pouring rain. These times, I did of course use a plastic cover to keep out the rain. The camera stopped working on one of these days - it wasn't wet when I took the plastic off - just very slightly damp (probably condensation). I aired the camera out for a couple days so it could dry, then it worked fine. I think what happened was condensation got inside the camera itself and caused a malfunction. My camera has worked fine ever since. Obviously the 7D is not impervious to wet weather, and I'd think the 6D is not either.

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:29 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #16 · Is the 6D actually weather sealed?

A couple of drops of rain won't be a problem, but I won't trust my 6D in light rain, so I went out and bought an umbrella that fits in the flash socket on the top of the camera so I could shoot with both hands.

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:39 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Is the 6D actually weather sealed?

Ralph Conway wrote:
To shoot a girl in the rain I prefere silk blouses ...

I'd prefer to wear a raincoat and hat. She can don the silk blouse...

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:42 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #18 · Is the 6D actually weather sealed?

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
... so I went out and bought an umbrella that fits in the flash socket on the top of the camera...

Did it have a pineapple slice too?

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:45 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Is the 6D actually weather sealed?

I don't have a 6D, but my 20D and 7D have both been exposed to light rain a few times when I was caught off guard. Both are still working.

When I have a chance, though, I use one of these, which I carry in the front pocket of my camera pack:

http://optechusa.com/rainsleeve.html

I carry two two-packs; one for bare camera, and one for camera with flash attached.

Feb 14, 2013 at 04:09 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #20 · Is the 6D actually weather sealed?

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Did it have a pineapple slice too?

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:52 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password