Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Low Key Portrait C&C

life11235

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Low Key Portrait C&C

Hey everyone! I'm a regular lurker, new poster. I've been experimenting with different shoot/edit styles lately and would love some comments/critiques! Any/all input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
-Nick

Edited on Feb 11, 2013 at 06:41 PM · View previous versions

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:02 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Low Key Portrait C&C

I wouldn't call any of these "low key" but I think you have a nice set of portraits here. I think #5 is my favorite. It almost has a kind of classic painting feel to it for me and I like his relaxed pose and gaze.

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:11 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Low Key Portrait C&C

As a regular lurker, you will notice that your pics are very small compared to others.

Instead of the 300X450 pixels in your post, try 600X900 pixels. That's 4 times larger. It will make them come alive and we'll be able to see to critique better.

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:35 PM
life11235

p.1 #4 · Low Key Portrait C&C

Thanks for the catch on that. I didn't notice that smugmug used diff resolution scales on their portrait/landscapes.

I've updated the post with the larger links.

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:42 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Low Key Portrait C&C

howdy,

my favorites from this set are 1 and 5. Similar images, but better composition and posing than the others (IMO).

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:25 PM
fgransee
• •
p.1 #6 · Low Key Portrait C&C

A different take ... my favorite would be #4. A few of the other shots, although executed very nicely, are a hint too feminine for me. Mainly #1 in my opinion although I don't get the same sense with #5 with is similar in pose ... or maybe it's just that #4 looks too cool. Colors / b&w, lighting are really nice on all of them though.

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:23 PM
life11235

p.1 #7 · Low Key Portrait C&C

Haha since it's been mentioned. #1 and #5 are the exact same image, just a different crop, edit style, and flipped horizontally. And here I thought I could get away with that without anyone noticing

I 100% agree on the feminine pose. This wasn't entirely on purpose since this was a somewhat spontaneous shoot for me to just play around with some new styles. However, I decided to go with it and attempt to use it (as described below)

Actually, #1 and #5 were both a play on some established styles, specifically Abercrombie and Hollister. The B&W process was meant to be somewhat flat, but with a distinctive contrast (Abercrombie) and the color one a vintage color wash and texturized as with the Hollister brand.

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:40 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Low Key Portrait C&C

Love 1, 4 and 5. Thanks for sharing

life11235

p.1 #9 · Low Key Portrait C&C

BTW Thanks all for the feedback. It really helps me get a feel for what works/doesn't work and gives me critical input as to where to put some energy/attention for the follow-up shoot in a few weeks.

Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #10 · Low Key Portrait C&C

Yeah, the pose is what needs work here. Wrapping a guy's face with his arms doesn't work the way it does with a female subject. The poses in the third and fourth images work much better for him.

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Low Key Portrait C&C

Howdy,

One of the things I find interesting when viewing photos posted on a forum like this (for public viewing and comments) is how very different the opinions may be about an image. That is why I posted 100 different images and asked people for their impressions of what they felt/saw when viewing the portrait. I was particularly interested in what kinds of impressions a variety of expressions would make on a group of viewers.

So, what follows is written in a truly friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you and others who may read this.

Of course I don't expect anyone to agree with me on this point, but I am sharing my opinion with more than a little amusement.

I don't see anything "feminine" about the pose for your subject.

Your subject's pose, as it is seldom seen on a forum like this, makes this image more unusual to see (in a place like this).

As I see it, men can pose with their hands near their face or on a part of their body besides their crotch...and still be men, masculine, manly, and part of a good image.

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:44 PM
paulmartinmd
• •
p.1 #12 · Low Key Portrait C&C

Hi Sir.. just wanted to share my comments about the shots..

1,2 and 5 are a bit feminine poses IMHO, masculine poses would be much better, unless these poses were preferred by the model or photographer.

Lighting is soft, which doesn't define much of his muscular traits (which is important in male subjects, especially with what he wears)..a little harsh lighting is usually recommended for this type of shoots, but it really depends on how the photographer sees and executes it..

You have a nice eye in portraiture, your compositions really works for me..
#3 is my choice in this set...

Just my 2 cents..

thanks for sharing..

-Paul

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:59 AM
gregSC
• • •
p.1 #13 · Low Key Portrait C&C

Good shots and lighting, but I agree about the feminine poses. I like #3 the best.

Feb 12, 2013 at 08:44 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Low Key Portrait C&C

on a second look some of the poses do appear to be "feminine" !

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:41 PM
phototropist

p.1 #15 · Low Key Portrait C&C

I like #5 best. Maybe a bit feminine but I don't see why women should stick to so-called feminine poses and men to "masculine" poses. What matters the most, imho, is that poses appear natural. Now, #5 works better than #1 because of the tighter crop and because it is less overexposed. It also works much better, I find, as a color image (the blue in the t-shirt somehow matches the blue of the model's eyes), especially with the chosen rendering. In any case, the pose is much more interesting in #5 than in #4.

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:56 PM
fgransee
• •
p.1 #16 · Low Key Portrait C&C

life11235 wrote:
Haha since it's been mentioned. #1 and #5 are the exact same image, just a different crop, edit style, and flipped horizontally. And here I thought I could get away with that without anyone noticing

I 100% agree on the feminine pose. This wasn't entirely on purpose since this was a somewhat spontaneous shoot for me to just play around with some new styles. However, I decided to go with it and attempt to use it (as described below)

Actually, #1 and #5 were both a play on some established styles, specifically Abercrombie and Hollister. The B&W process was meant to
...Show more

@Life : How did you do the vintage wash and texturing ?

Feb 12, 2013 at 05:49 PM
p4ssw0rd

p.1 #17 · Low Key Portrait C&C

My 0.02c = I see why some of the guys who responded say that the poses are a bit feminine, but in my opinion this actually suits the guy. At least to me this particular subject has quite smooth lines and probably does not fit in the standard 'macho' style anyway. If you wanted to play with low key, I would actually try to modify the light (harshness, direction, power, etc.)
I like #1 and #5 most, very good effort (my comment above is just a personal view so take it with grain of salt
Thanks for posting.

Feb 12, 2013 at 08:30 PM
life11235

p.1 #18 · Low Key Portrait C&C

Yeah I definitely have plans to shoot a little bit darker and harsher next time. As for the feminine thing, they definitely are. In this case with this model and for the audience that was intended it works, and was something we knew was going to be the case.

Fgransee - it was kind of a complicated process. Essentially I warmed the tones, then used a masked and blended push process. After that I used a contrast effect which was blended in. I then corrected the color cast in the shadows a little bit, applied a texture I have which was masked out of the subject, and finally added a vignette.

Thanks all! Got a lot of great feedback. Well definitely help with the next shoot this weekend!

Feb 13, 2013 at 06:21 PM
nolaguy
• • •
p.1 #19 · Low Key Portrait C&C

Sorry, but the feminine comments in this thread are utter nonsense.

The genius in this series is exemplified in #1. The ever so subtle lighting/exposure that captures the subject’s left hand without blowing out the rest of the frame – sublime.

Well done, life.

Feb 13, 2013 at 06:50 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Low Key Portrait C&C

life11235 wrote:
Hey everyone! I'm a regular lurker, new poster. I've been experimenting with different shoot/edit styles lately and would love some comments/critiques! Any/all input is greatly appreciated!

http://mygofoto.smugmug.com/photos/i-gj3nfgz/0/L/i-gj3nfgz-L.jpg

http://mygofoto.smugmug.com/photos/i-Q7jgPF8/0/X2/i-Q7jgPF8-X2.jpg

http://mygofoto.smugmug.com/photos/i-d442KZR/0/X2/i-d442KZR-X2.jpg

http://mygofoto.smugmug.com/photos/i-D5J7XxX/0/X2/i-D5J7XxX-X2.jpg

http://mygofoto.smugmug.com/photos/i-j7ksG63/0/X2/i-j7ksG63-X2.jpg

Thanks!
-Nick

Nice work on all of them...Maybe throw in some different facial expressions next time. That is my only critique. Number 5 is I nice like the crop version. Very good job on the post processing as well. Did you use an action? mind sharing some detail on your method used for this shot?

Feb 13, 2013 at 09:33 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password