Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · What uses more ink, glossy or semi-gloss (lustre) paper?

jchin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · What uses more ink, glossy or semi-gloss (lustre) paper?

I am trying to setup printing profiles and don't want too many to confuse my wife and kids. We have both Glossy Photo Paper and Lustre Semi-Gloss Photo Paper. I am wondering what should I make the default paper setting be, Glossy or Semi-Gloss? We have a Canon Pixma MX892 printer. Basically which setting uses less ink, if that is even possible?

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:34 PM
lesaus
• •
p.1 #2 · What uses more ink, glossy or semi-gloss (lustre) paper?

If those are Canon papers, the profiles should be on the installation CD. If not, download them from the Canon site. Once you have the profiles installed you simply select the paper and the profiles drive the ink dispersion.

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:24 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · What uses more ink, glossy or semi-gloss (lustre) paper?

jchin wrote:
I am trying to setup printing profiles and don't want too many to confuse my wife and kids. We have both Glossy Photo Paper and Lustre Semi-Gloss Photo Paper. I am wondering what should I make the default paper setting be, Glossy or Semi-Gloss? We have a Canon Pixma MX892 printer. Basically which setting uses less ink, if that is even possible?

It's possible - even probable... But noone is going to know the answer as we have no way the measure it. At the same time you should be using the correct profile for each paper. By using the wrong or different profile for a paper type the image may blur, fade or desaturate much faster than if you used the proper one.

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:17 PM
Mike M. Kraus
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · What uses more ink, glossy or semi-gloss (lustre) paper?

Interesting question, I just today read on the RedRiver web site a breakdown on ink use for the epson 3800/3880 and saw that matte paper comsumes quite a bit more ink than glossy paper but thats as far as they broke down paper types. I would guess the difference between glossy and semi-gloss wouldn't be that much.

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:19 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #5 · What uses more ink, glossy or semi-gloss (lustre) paper?

jchin wrote:

I have no idea on your printer with your dye based inks and Canon profiles, but I believe with Epson pigment ink printers, more ink is put down using the lustre media setting than the glossy paper setting. And I have no idea how significant the difference is.

Brian A

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:53 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password